Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Jeopardy! [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone else starting to sense some tension between Alex and James? I don't think Alex likes him and he's not being too subtle about it either.
Last edited by: Spiridon Louis: May 1, 19 3:21
Quote Reply
Re: Jeopardy! [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Anyone else starting to sense some tension between Alex and James? I don't think Alex likes him and he's not being too subtle about it either.
Interesting, I thought they've seemed to get along fairly well. Alex does a good job of not playing favorites, imo, and maybe that comes off as him not liking James? If Trebek doesn't like James, though, I'd bet my last dollar it's the way James jumps in on the next clue immediately, he likes pushing the pace to get in a rhythm and throw off his competitors but I'd be annoyed as hell if I were Alex.

Another ho-hum $90K last night, it's almost disappointing seeing him at $50K after Double Jeopardy knowing he can't top $100K, but his total last night is still higher than anyone else has ever gotten. It feels more like 'when', not 'if', he surpasses Ken Jennings at this point, I'd love to see him do it in less than half the games it took Ken and then blow the total out of the water.

I'd love to see them do another Tournament of Champions with James and other greats from the past, but at this level they all know 90% of the answers and it's more about buzzer skills than anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Jeopardy! [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:

I haven't noticed any tension at all, no. Quite the opposite.
Quote Reply
Re: Jeopardy! [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:

I'd love to see them do another Tournament of Champions with James and other greats from the past, but at this level they all know 90% of the answers and it's more about buzzer skills than anything.

There was an interesting discussion with Ken Jennings about that. He said of course the show will probably want something between the 2 of them and he would do it (of course he will make lots of $$$) but he said people forget he did not set the 70something winning streak.. A 15 yr younger him did.. His reflex's are slower his trivia knowledge is less, his memory isn't as good etc...

I thought it was a great point, no one talks about 15 yrs is a long time (don't know his age but if he was 30 then he is 45 now).

2 nights ago he almost lost.. 74 games is along time, I believe if he gets there, it will still be in this season's taping. One of Kens other comments was his was across 2 seasons, so when he came back his streak had aired and all the contestants knew him and the streak. He said first day of taping he had other contestants come up to him in the parking lot, which was also very different.

All the people he is picking off now, have no clue till taping that this guy is a machine.

Fun to follow (don't really watch caught about 5 min of 1 episode) Interesting though that it has taken 15 yrs for another unstoppable player to show up.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Jeopardy! [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Behind the scenes...

Quote Reply
Re: Jeopardy! [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://fivethirtyeight.com/...-jeopardy-supremacy/

Good article on comparing Jennings and Holtzhauer.

He really is amazing to watch. I generally know about 70% of the answers on jeopardy and could boost that to about 80% with a little time. I am amazed by his ability to answer even the most obscure questions quickly. His breadth of knowledge is incredible.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think most of the time it sounds like Alex is impressed. Especially with the daily doubles where he struggles to find the answer but comes up with it or on really hard questions that Alex doesn’t expect them to answer and he comes up with an answer.

It’s like you can see the wheels turning and the answer is in there somewhere and he is struggling to find it, and then at the last second he is able to connect the right synapses and pulls it out.
Last edited by: H2Owings: May 1, 19 7:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trebek's cancer update:

• Beloved Jeopardy! host was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer in March
  • Trebek revealed that there are days he feels 'deep sadness' from the chemo
  • Host joked that he has discovered through the battle that he is a 'bit of a wuss'
  • But said his oncologist said he's doing well and he plans to be back next season I hope so!!!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/...ancer-interview.html
Quote Reply
Re: Jeopardy! [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-battle-for-jeopardy-supremacy/

He really is amazing to watch. I generally know about 70% of the answers on jeopardy and could boost that to about 80% with a little time. I am amazed by his ability to answer even the most obscure questions quickly. His breadth of knowledge is incredible.

Monday an answer was "Who was Enda St. Vincent Millay?"

D'Wife said - screamed actually - "Who the FUCK knows that?!!!"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Jeopardy! [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-battle-for-jeopardy-supremacy/

Monday an answer was "Who was Enda St. Vincent Millay?"

D'Wife said - screamed actually - "Who the FUCK knows that?!!!"

That’s hilarious. I think I said the same thing

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Techniques that will probably change the game.

Jeopardy wasn't James first foray into game show domination:

James Holzhauer on The Chase, September 2, 2014.
They should have "The Beast" on Jeapordy

Quote Reply

Prev Next