Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Attempted obstruction
Quote | Reply
Serious question here. Is attempted obstruction a charge?

Clearly if you order someone to obstruct and they don’t follow your order then you haven’t actually succeeded at obstructing. I get that.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Apr 22, 19 9:43
Quote Reply
Re: Attempted obstruction [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind of. If you attempt to obstruct justice, but, are unsuccessful, you can still be charged with obstruction of justice.

So, there isn't a specific charge of "attempted obstruction of justice" like there would be for "attempted murder."

Assume I try to bribe a witness. The witness refuses my bribe and testifies. I can still be charged with obstruction of justice because obstruction of justice does not require that you actually succeed is obstructing justice, just that you took some real action towards that goal.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Apr 22, 19 9:27
Quote Reply
Re: Attempted obstruction [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of attempted things are charges. Attempted murder, buying drugs, prostitution etc. Just trying to break the law even if no one goes along with it or even prevents you from doing it can land someone in jail.

No idea if this counts though maybe it should.

Edit: The expert beat me to the punch.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Last edited by: veganerd: Apr 22, 19 9:27
Quote Reply
Re: Attempted obstruction [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Lots of attempted things are charges. Attempted murder, buying drugs, prostitution etc. Just trying to break the law even if no one goes along with it or even prevents you from doing it can land someone in jail.

No idea if this counts though maybe it should.

Correct, but, "attempted murder" is an actual charge is most jurisdictions with different elements and different penalties than murder. "Attempted obstruction" is a not a charge because an attempt is inherent in the crime itself.

But, you are right, there are many "attempted" crimes. For example: if you think you are selling a baggy of marijuana and it is really just hemp, you can still be charged with attempted trafficking of narcotics.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Apr 22, 19 9:30
Quote Reply