Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Retirement income [CJMcF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJMcF wrote:
Out of interest, why do you want a job after you retire? If that’s the case then why retire at all? I’ve always wondered about why people do this.

The job is significantly different than my current 40 yr (at the time of retirement) career so it will be different, interesting and will leverage what I have learned and experienced in my career. I only plan on working at that job for 4-6 years at most, just to wind down the stress level at my current job (pretty high) to a lesser stress job (retirement job) and wean myself down to where I won't be like many retirees who retire cold turkey, start completely non-stressful retirement activities and die of a heart attack less than 3 years later.

I did the statistics on people who retire from the military after 20 and 30 years of active duty and the 20 year retirees lived more than 30 years longer than the 30 year retirees who died at a significantly higher rate. That was for retirees in the 1983-1985 time frame so it might have changed but I learned something from that. A person cannot just quit a high stress job and do nothing; the body will react and create something inside that causes heart attacks and other problems. 30 year military retirees made enough on average to do nothing after leaving the service, 20 year retirees nearly always had to work to supplement their lower retirement earnings.
Quote Reply
Re: Retirement income [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting - I retired a month ago. And have no plans to start another job. If I'd wanted to keep working then I wouldn't have stopped - I had a great job that I loved.
Quote Reply
Re: Retirement income [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
When I say pre-tax I am saying if I have an income of 12k pre tax that means I will have 9-10k after taxes are removed. You need to ratio down not up to get to spending money.

Go Pound Sand said they had income of 18k (after tax) the post right before yours.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply

Prev Next