Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: post workout recovery drink (lactose and gluten free) [Johnny_G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
legumes can be gassy and activate mucous production
Quote Reply
Re: post workout recovery drink (lactose and gluten free) [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There wont be a perfect post workout snack for all workouts and all people at all phases of training. Some pro triathletes just eat literally only 6 or 7 almonds as a post workout snack - no hollow calories. But which workout? what is thier goal at that time? Is it a meal replacement or recovery aid or weightloss method or dietary requirement or convenience choice?

Manufacturers want you to drink a product after any workout. The problem is that people are treating themselves to a dessert style shake after every workout as a snack thinking it'll lead to faster recovery and lean muscle but end up taking in a bunch of needless calories on top of thier meals.

The 20 gram guideline came about because someone found that that is roughly the maximum amount that can be absorbed at one time - concluding that there is no benefit eating more than that in a sitting.

therefore 20 gram portions was suggested as ample for a body builder but many times a day - guys like hulk hogan snacked on 20 boiled eggs across the day. But people going to the gym have a lot or muscle mass to maintain and repair. 6 to 20 grams was the range suggested for endurance athletes but most workouts wont reach the 20gram snack requirement.

Intervals and long sessions will have different effects on the body. If the aminos are for muscle repair then which muscle pain is damaged muscle fibres (DOMS) and which is lactic acid buildup? If your muscles are fatigued but not damaged then excess amino acids will only stress your kidney system more and not result in faster recovery.
Quote Reply
Re: post workout recovery drink (lactose and gluten free) [greenjp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
greenjp wrote:
Are you yogurt-tolerant? (Many lactose-intolerant people can handle yogurt). The Chobani drinks are really convenient.

Didn’t think of that. Yogurt is fine for me.
Quote Reply
Re: post workout recovery drink (lactose and gluten free) [Bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonesbrigade wrote:
I’m more concerned you are driving an hour and 20 min to do a workout? You can’t come up with a better approach to get the work in - unless I’m misunderstanding the situation....?

Unless I want to deal with Atlanta traffic and traffic lights I prefer a location with zero cars and relatively flat for my run after bike. During the week it’s on the trainer. For shorter rides on weekend I will stay indoors. But longish rides I’ll get outdoors.
Quote Reply
Re: post workout recovery drink (lactose and gluten free) [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You utterly and completely missed my point. But, thanks for the useless info about hulk hogan.
Quote Reply
Re: post workout recovery drink (lactose and gluten free) [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
youre still a 15-30 minute carb window guy huh?

you could try short glycogen fasting to sustain the state of ketosis giving preferential breakdown of fats over carbs - improving weight loss, insulin resistance , favourable anti-inflammatory and recovery hormonal balance - let your body relax a bit first
Quote Reply
Re: post workout recovery drink (lactose and gluten free) [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, random internet guy, for your unsolicited, unqualified advice about a question that I didn't ask for a problem that I dont have.

I gave you zero vital statistics about me. I told you nothing about my health status, training regimen, or nutrition strategies.

For the record, I prefer to seek advice from Professional sports nutritionists who DO ask all of those questions (and more) before offering advice to questions that I HAVE asked.
Quote Reply
Re: post workout recovery drink (lactose and gluten free) [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want something tasty I used to drink protein shakes after working out when I was predominantly doing strength training and found the following was quite tasty:

-milk, banana, ice and chocolate flavor protein powder, blended into a smoothie/shake style consistency

-OJ and vanilla flavored protein powder (pretty much tasted like an Orange Julius)

I used lactose free milk because I'm also lactose intolerant. Tried to use 100% whey or anything non-dairy based. I also found coffee flavored powders quite tasty. But you've got to figure out what works for you since you mentioned gluten free. I wasn't as restrictive for my dietary needs.

Since you can't mix and drink it right away from what you are telling us freeze it completely and let it thaw enough by the time you're ready to drink. Shake it up and it should be a good consistency to be refreshing.

As for how good is it really for recovery, I dunno, I followed the convention that has been paassed down by many a strength trainer the bulk up to build muscle. Worked well enough for me but admittedly still didn't practice enough restraint for the rest of my meals.
Last edited by: loxx0050: Apr 19, 19 7:26
Quote Reply
Re: post workout recovery drink (lactose and gluten free) [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
depending on the weather and how long my ride is I usually will just leave a small cooler in the car. if it's a long ride and very hot that day I could also freeze it. and I'm not really one that gets too much in the weeds of exact amount of carbs or protein post workout. Just a little bit of both and will lean towards carbs of course given I've done a long endurance activity. I just want something I can drink on the way home to get in my system to help with recovery rather than heading through the drive through. lots of options here should be work and I just have to see what I like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You seem a bit inflamed... A pinch of cinnamon in your shakes is good for that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
You seem a bit inflamed... A pinch of cinnamon in your shakes is good for that

I prefer to sprinkle it on my boiled egg.
Quote Reply
Re: post workout recovery drink (lactose and gluten free) [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
Tailwind Rebuild. Based off of rice protein, lactose/gluten free. Comes in chocolate and vanilla, both of which are delicious, and can mix with any liquid of your choosing.

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve ordered a mixed pack of Tailwind Rebuild for a trial.

Can you expand a bit on rice protein, the lactose/gluten relationships and the benefits of this particular product for circumstances as described by the OP?

Speculation and theories like we have in this thread always leave me confused.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: post workout recovery drink (lactose and gluten free) [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:

most milk alternatives I are gluten free or at least have minimal gluten. I can have some gluten it just ends up being a cumulative thing where too much ends up triggering some symptoms. Same with lactose. I would be classified as having having IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) so over about the past 15 years or so through trial and error I work through what works and what doesn't. and even then I will have stuff is gluten and lactose free and nothing particularly weird in the ingredients and it will cause issues. But my issues aren't debilitating like some people with celiac or other GI issues. I've only had a few times where I have opted out of stuff as my system is off the rails. So I count myself lucky. I never had issues growing up but around age 30 started developing symptoms.

Have you looked at FODMAPs as the source of your GI issues? A low FODMAP diet is a research-based approach to providing relief from IBS. The part you wrote that I have put in bold particularly caught my eye because it is consistent with somebody who has developed FODMAP intolerences, where a broad spectrum of different carbohydrates can cause IBS. Lactose is the "D" in the FODMAPs. Gluten itself is not a FODMAP; however there is a large intersection between foods that contain gluten and that are high in FODMAPs, which are arguably leads people to conflating the cause of their IBS as being gluten when in fact it is the FODMAPs. More than these, though, there are fructans, polyols, etc., such that foods including apples, onions, sweet potatoes and many others could all trigger your IBS. In all of this I'm speaking from experience, having developed acute IBS over recent years, which finally I have been able to treat successfully through a combination of specific reduction in FODMAPs, and a more general reduction of consumption of carbohydrates.*

(*This was a significant and inconvenient change, but absolutely worth it in my case. Here is a little Twitter thread I put together some weeks in discussing it. The ultimate aim is to reintroduce FODMAPs but this is proving more challenging...)
Quote Reply
Re: post workout recovery drink (lactose and gluten free) [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
Tailwind Rebuild. Based off of rice protein, lactose/gluten free. Comes in chocolate and vanilla, both of which are delicious, and can mix with any liquid of your choosing.

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve ordered a mixed pack of Tailwind Rebuild for a trial.

Can you expand a bit on rice protein, the lactose/gluten relationships and the benefits of this particular product for circumstances as described by the OP?

Speculation and theories like we have in this thread always leave me confused.

Scott

Different person replying but, as someone who has FODMAPs-related IBS (see my previous post), after testing them for a few weeks my current experience is that Tailwind products are a good way to go if you have GI/IBS issues. Their Endurance Fuel caught my eye because it does not contain maltodextrin, which from my literal gut-feeling and those of others is not good if you are FODMAP sensitive, and has been working out so far. The Rebuild was also promising because of its use of rice protein and no malto, and again is working out well so far.
Quote Reply
Re: post workout recovery drink (lactose and gluten free) [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes. I’ve looked at FODMAP and keep it in mind with the food I eat. My symptoms are most times pretty minor so I don’t have to be as strict as others. But my system does tend to have more issues when I’m training really hard. During the one IM I’ve done I had to be really strict as my system was no happy. Fortunately during races I’ve had very few GI issues. Tailwind and gu gels seem to be fine for me. Thanks
Quote Reply

Prev Next