Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Champions League Draw [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once again Spurs remind us of the accuracy of Colin Farrell's statement in "In Bruges"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTmVO9y_QP0

actually thought spurs played better than Liverpool but for a fifty something ex-pat Brit there is something about liverpool winning the champions league that is just how things are meant to be.

i thought it is a toss up between the ref and alysson for who had the best game out of those on the pitch. Great to not have wrestling in the box at every corner and liked how every bit of contact wasn't a foul.
Quote Reply
Re: Champions League Draw [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
b4itwascold wrote:
suggested TV viewings later this month:
South American Championship - some good games possibly
Woman's world cup - I like to watch the final stages
Good points. Would like someone to upset the USWNT hegemony. The Dutch could probably give WNT a good run for its money

As for the Copa, perhaps the year for the Uruguayans or Colombians. Chile is playing some shite football, now that Alexi is over the hill and unmotivated and Vidal is merely over the hill.

Quote:
And just read that Neymar has been accused of rape in Paris, he was already stripped from being Brazil Captain As if needs another distraction to an already career that's in a downfall.

https://www.nytimes.com/...ymar-allegation.html

Brazil could probably do a lot better without Neymar.
Quote Reply
Re: Champions League Draw [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
b4itwascold wrote:

Good points. Would like someone to upset the USWNT hegemony. The Dutch could probably give WNT a good run for its money

As for the Copa, perhaps the year for the Uruguayans or Colombians. Chile is playing some shite football, now that Alexi is over the hill and unmotivated and Vidal is merely over the hill.

I think Brazil is the favorite (Neymar or not), its also played in Brazil. But would be interesting to see which team will shine. Colombia is a possibility, they have a good team. They are playing Argentina on the Sunday following the Friday opening game.

And back to CL final, the previous poster had a good point. It was an unusually fair game, not a lot of tackles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
that was some Pulis v Pardew grade match...

I'm glad I didn't go to a bar to watch this. That was not steaming pile grade of football, but it wasn't up to the standard of either team.

The really iffy handball call really killed off the match. Ugh. Struck Sissoko on his pecs...

Maybe it was too much to ask for a scintillating display, as the best matches have already been played.

Congrats Scousers, and condolences Spurs

My TV viewing now feels quite empty and void...

Yea that was a very questionable call. Liverpool got the Messi treatment on that one, but everyone felt bad that Mo got "Hurt" in last years game soooooo.......

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Last edited by: Billabong: Jun 2, 19 10:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking of taking my daughter to matches in Nice
Quote Reply
Re: Champions League Draw [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
echappist wrote:

I'm glad I didn't go to a bar to watch this. That was not steaming pile grade of football, but it wasn't up to the standard of either team.

The really iffy handball call really killed off the match. Ugh. Struck Sissoko on his pecs...

Maybe it was too much to ask for a scintillating display, as the best matches have already been played.

Yea that was a very questionable call. Liverpool got the Messi treatment on that one, but everyone felt bad that Mo got "Hurt" in last years game soooooo.......

It was the correct call. The dude's arm was stuck straight out. It's called an unnatural position and you can't do that. PK all day.
Quote Reply
Re: Champions League Draw [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it ricocheted off of his chest and onto his arm. Even had his arm been by his side/behind his back, the ball would have struck the same location, with similar effect (would have ricocheted onto his arm, had his arm been by his side).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also, forgot that the Africa Cup of Nations will be held this summer. SO looks like there will be a lot of football to watch/reduce my productivity after all :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, you're right. If his arm was at his side or behind his back it wouldn't have been a penalty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
it ricocheted off of his chest and onto his arm. Even had his arm been by his side/behind his back, the ball would have struck the same location, with similar effect (would have ricocheted onto his arm, had his arm been by his side).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also, forgot that the Africa Cup of Nations will be held this summer. SO looks like there will be a lot of football to watch/reduce my productivity after all :)

If his arm were at his side in a natural position it likely wouldn’t have been called. His arm position was the issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
Billabong wrote:
echappist wrote:

It was the correct call. The dude's arm was stuck straight out. It's called an unnatural position and you can't do that. PK all day.

Yea right. His arm was up pointing long before the kick was made.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
Yes, you're right. If his arm was at his side or behind his back it wouldn't have been a penalty.

which means the current rules are flawed. The end result wouldn't have been drastically different (which is to say, ball deflected off of player).

In my books, had his arm moved toward the ball, handball. Had the ball hit his outreached arm first, handball. The ricochet that's rather problematic, as the only way he could have avoided his arm hitting the ball, after initial contact with his chest, was to have his arm at his side or behind. Once the ball hit him in the chest (initial contact), there was nothing he could have done.

People could say unnatural position, but he was pointing to set up the defensive positioning of his fellow players and didn't at all expect the ball. That said, that play probably shouldn't have been allowed to develop in the first place, as Mane darted behind the Spurs defense to receive the pass.
Quote Reply
Re: Champions League Draw [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
zed707 wrote:
Billabong wrote:
echappist wrote:

Yea right. His arm was up pointing long before the kick was made.

So using that logic, soccer players should play defense with their arms extended all the time--like basketball players. Then if the ball "accidentally" hits their arm it wouldn't be a penalty because they were extended before the ball was struck. It doesn't work that way and it shouldn't. Thus the unnatural position of the arms was written into the rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
b4itwascold wrote:

Watching Uruguay Japan game last night, while Japan played well, Uruguay has such a huge potential to win it all but always seems to flock at some point. Colombia looks good and feel they can win the cup. Chile played good but too early to know. And lets not forget Brazil, they are playing a home. Now Argentina... that's a different story. Who would know that their next game Qatar is so crucial.

The woman's team has an 18:0 goal differentia going into the knock out. I think not letting a goal is more impressive than the ones scored. However, its meaningless now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next