Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Poli Sci is Psuedo Sci according to Massie
Quote | Reply
No, Poli Sci is not necessarily "science" but it is also not psuedo science. And his questioning of a BA as a real degree is laughable.

https://thehill.com/...al-science-degree-as

ETA: Corrected Title as I'm clearly not educated enough to realize I misspelled something. Thanks for the correction.
Last edited by: crowny2: Apr 12, 19 9:23
Quote Reply
Re: Poly Sci is Psuedo Sci according to Massie [crowny2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not familiar with this exchange, but I do agree Political Science is not "real" science. It is interesting and definitely worth people studying, but it isn't science.

Again, I don't know why he was calling Kerry out on this and likely don't agree with what he was doing.
Quote Reply
Re: Poly Sci is Psuedo Sci according to Massie [jmcconne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmcconne wrote:
I'm not familiar with this exchange, but I do agree Political Science is not "real" science. It is interesting and definitely worth people studying, but it isn't science.

Again, I don't know why he was calling Kerry out on this and likely don't agree with what he was doing.

Kerry was there to talk about climate change. He thought he had a gotcha moment by saying Kerry had a pseudo science degree that he tried to pretend was real science and was now doing the same thing peddling pseudo science on climate change.

Except Kerry most definitely did not misrepresent his degree.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What! Next you'll be telling me Scientology is not based on rigorous testing of hypotheses, followed by peer reviews and repeat-ability studies.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After he had time to reflect on the exchange, Massie has corrected any misconceptions. Nah, I'm just kidding, he tweeted this out:

When I asked Kerry if he had a science degree, he answered “no” but forgot to turn his microphone on. The left has been using his flub to conceal what this exchange proved which is Kerry admitted he doesn’t have a science degree, even though his degree says “science”

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't see the exchange so I don't know what Kerry was saying in the hearing. Massie is a hardcore STEM guy from MIT. So if Kerry was arguing scientifically, but with some fundamental misunderstandings or misconceptions in his argument, I could see a science guy calling him out, or his credentials. Or is Massie an Ass and just playing party line politics?

And the abbreviation is Poli Sci, not Poly. And of course it's not a science like other disciplines based on the scientific method of data driven controlled experimentation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i hadn't heard of Massie before the exchange but he is clearly a smart guy (MIT grad, built his own solar powered home) who, in trying to be a bit too clever, ended up looking foolish. Of course he knows political science isn't a science degree, and he also knows that just as CO2 levels have changed over millions of years, so has the climate. He could have had a real discussion with Kerry about why he thought human activity was not contributing to climate change, but instead chose to waste his time making himself look stupid being a smart ass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We should start adding science to other degrees. My sister got her degree in Communication Science. My wife's cousin got a degree in Film Science.
Quote Reply
Re: Poly Sci is Psuedo Sci according to Massie [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
I didn't see the exchange so I don't know what Kerry was saying in the hearing. Massie is a hardcore STEM guy from MIT. So if Kerry was arguing scientifically, but with some fundamental misunderstandings or misconceptions in his argument, I could see a science guy calling him out, or his credentials. Or is Massie an Ass and just playing party line politics?

And the abbreviation is Poli Sci, not Poly. And of course it's not a science like other disciplines based on the scientific method of data driven controlled experimentation.

Yes.

Here's the transcript:

Massie: Secretary Kerry, I want to read part of your statement back to you. “Instead of convening a kangaroo court, the president might want to talk with the educated adults he once trusted to fill his top national security positions.” It sounds like you’re questioning the credentials of the president’s advisers currently, but I don’t think we should question your credentials today. Isn’t it true you have a science degree from Yale?
Kerry: A bachelor of arts degree.
Massie: Is it a political science degree?
Kerry: Yes, political science.
Massie: So how do you get a bachelor of arts in a science [degree]?
Kerry: Well, it’s liberal arts education and degree, it’s a bachelor.
Massie: OK, so it’s not really science. So I think it’s somewhat appropriate that someone with a pseudoscience degree is here pushing pseudoscience in front of our committee today.
Kerry: Are you serious? This is really, seriously happening here?
Massie: You know what? It is serious, you’re calling the president’s Cabinet a kangaroo court, is that serious?
Kerry: I’m not calling his Cabinet a kangaroo court, I’m calling this committee he’s putting together a kangaroo committee.
Massie: Are you saying he doesn’t have educated adults there now?
Kerry: I don’t know who he it yet, because it’s secret.
Quote Reply
Re: Poly Sci is Psuedo Sci according to Massie [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
40-Tude wrote:

Yes.

Here's the transcript:

Massie: Secretary Kerry, I want to read part of your statement back to you. “Instead of convening a kangaroo court, the president might want to talk with the educated adults he once trusted to fill his top national security positions.” It sounds like you’re questioning the credentials of the president’s advisers currently, but I don’t think we should question your credentials today. Isn’t it true you have a science degree from Yale?
Kerry: A bachelor of arts degree.
Massie: Is it a political science degree?
Kerry: Yes, political science.
Massie: So how do you get a bachelor of arts in a science [degree]?
Kerry: Well, it’s liberal arts education and degree, it’s a bachelor.
Massie: OK, so it’s not really science. So I think it’s somewhat appropriate that someone with a pseudoscience degree is here pushing pseudoscience in front of our committee today.
Kerry: Are you serious? This is really, seriously happening here?
Massie: You know what? It is serious, you’re calling the president’s Cabinet a kangaroo court, is that serious?
Kerry: I’m not calling his Cabinet a kangaroo court, I’m calling this committee he’s putting together a kangaroo committee.
Massie: Are you saying he doesn’t have educated adults there now?
Kerry: I don’t know who he it yet, because it’s secret

So if Kerry doesn't know who's on the committee, how can he call it a Kangaroo court ?

I see Massie trying to put forth an absurd smart-ass way about questioning credentials, and rightly getting smacked down for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kerry's credibility is in tatters, he said he has a Bachelor's degree, but also claims to be married! Which is it John!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:

Corrected. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:

So if Kerry doesn't know who's on the committee, how can he call it a Kangaroo court ?

I see Massie trying to put forth an absurd smart-ass way about questioning credentials, and rightly getting smacked down for it.

Based on Trump's history, let's call it an educated guess. I mean he put up Cain and Moore for the Fed.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Because it's apparently a group being proposed to specifically try to find a way to rebut scientific consensus.

A kangaroo court is a group of people who ignores standard practices or standards and with little or no official legitimate standing who attempts to achieve a pre-determined result rather than following the evidence to a conclusion.

Sounds like it might be an accurate description.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply