Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calf Muscle Soreness / Strain before an IRONMAN
Quote | Reply
I have been having soreness recently in my calf muscle of my right leg. I started feeling a little bit of tightness after my long run on Sunday, then when doing laps at the pool on Monday noticed it was tight when kicking off the wall. On my Monday recovery run it felt somewhat tight at several points though manageable (run was after swim), and on my Wednesday run it felt tight and a little bit sore at times, and was persistent throughout the whole run, but still manageable. Yesterday I cycled to/from work, and walking felt very tight, and a little sore, my calf also felt tight during the cycle. This morning (Friday) I went to run though it felt very tight/sore straight away so I'm resting it today instead. It is also feeling sore when walking, causing me to limp a little, and sore when doing squat type movements.

The soreness is at the lower part of my calf muscle, just below where the main part of the calf muscle expands. It seems to be similarly sore on the inside, central, and outside parts of the calf, though foam rolling feels more sore on the outside side of the calf. It feels like a bruise - not sharp, but a duller aching sort of soreness, and only when my foot is in point or flex (no soreness when the calf muscle is not being used), or when I put pressure on it by touching it.

Doing some self-diagnosis on Google, it seems like this is a Calf Muscle Strain.

I have an IRONMAN scheduled for 5th May (my first full distance), so this is about 3 weeks away... I have been training for this event for the last 6 months... As such, I am quite concerned! I have a physio appointment booked for next Monday.

Should I do the event? Or would I be better delaying this one for another event, and let the leg rest?
Should I delay any running until there is no soreness in the calf muscle?
Quote Reply
Re: Calf Muscle Soreness / Strain before an IRONMAN [ironwill007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 weeks out, you are not going to gain much fitness. Take it easy until it feels better. Maybe swim a little to keep up the cardio (but don’t push off the wall with that leg). Once it feels better get a few rides and runs in before the race and you be fine. If there is anything that aggravates it, stop doing that.

Good luck on your race. Keep us updated.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: Calf Muscle Soreness / Strain before an IRONMAN [ironwill007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’ll be fine. I wouldn’t cancel the race. No way!

Aqua jogging is your friend! Get after it in the deep end of the pool. Watch some YouTube videos for proper technique. You won’t lose much fitness. Just do a couple runs in the last few days of your taper to remind yourself of good running form.

You might try a couple days of warm epsom salt baths. Put both legs in an office/desk sized trash can with very hot (but not scalding) water and a cup of epsom salt. Soak for 15 min daily.

Hopefully your PT can give you more guidance, maybe show you proper tape technique, etc. You’ll be okay!

Good luck at Santa Rosa (I assume)!
Quote Reply
Re: Calf Muscle Soreness / Strain before an IRONMAN [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - Port Macquarie Australia!
Quote Reply
Re: Calf Muscle Soreness / Strain before an IRONMAN [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you.. I'll be careful over the next couple of weeks. I'll post how the race went once I finish it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went through something similar earlier this year. Running aggravated it. Biking and swimming were ok but I was careful with the push offs when I was swimming. It got better only after I rested it. Try 3-4 days off running and see how it feels. When you start back go easy and shut it down immediately if you start to feel some tightness. It took me a few iterations if this before the tightness went away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could be a calf muscle strain, could be a partial Achilles tear and a few other things. Good medical practice includes comprehensive history and examination so I would be hesitant to take on board many recommendations for the moment until you have seen your physio. (Apart from resting it until that appointment!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a few days rest like others have mentioned. I'd also try some KT tape on it before you go running or biking on it again. You can look on youtube to see the correct way to tape it. Won't cure the issue but might allow you to run pain free for the race. I've used it in the past with good results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a great reason to start tapering.
Quote Reply