Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: what's the latest "BIG announcement" from ironman? [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been to Memphis around year 2002 to do the marathon and I hope that the city improved since that!
Not much to see at that time beside Graceland, and downtown was not safe, if have been mugged by a drunk and I travelled in a lot of places but I would pay to do an Ironman there!
Quote Reply
Re: what's the latest "BIG announcement" from ironman? [ppkestrel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend sent me a message saying you wouldn't make it out of Memphis alive but the BBQ is worth it, lol.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: what's the latest "BIG announcement" from ironman? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
timr wrote:
It's a new Ironman in the USA being announced in June. Ironman Des Moines, Ironman Fayetteville, Ironman Memphis or Ironman Tulsa.

I'm very unenthused by all of these. Like there's some good Barbecue in Memphis and Fayetteville, a Symphony in Tulsa...but any of these in Mid-June is gonna suck unless you're purely training for Kona and have already qualified.

Memphis will be hot and flat, Fayetteville (used to live there) will be hilly and hot, Tulsa (been there a lot) will be hilly/rollers and hot. Des Moines I have no idea.

If its in the spring all bets are off for weather in Fayetteville, Memphis, and Tulsa. The weather changes every day in the spring. It can cold and wet one day and hot and humid the next.
Quote Reply
Re: what's the latest "BIG announcement" from ironman? [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
A friend sent me a message saying you wouldn't make it out of Memphis alive but the BBQ is worth it, lol.

I travel a lot and eat alot, and i mean alot of local BBQ in the most whole in the wall places.

There is no greater BBQ place than Payne's BarB-Que in Memphis
Quote Reply
Re: what's the latest "BIG announcement" from ironman? [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone think this new race announcement indicates that IM is going to cut a race and stay at ten US races?
Quote Reply
Re: what's the latest "BIG announcement" from ironman? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frankly I have to say I was exited about this. It's great to have another race in the midwest, and one that is not in a place that will be prohibitively expensive, can drive to, etc. Sadly our sport has been gravitating to being the "sport of kings" ish, with prices and locations to match. I'm happy they have taken this route for now. Sure, it has little "wow" factor for many of you, but while Madison even is little known for a vacation location, the race shows it can be very successful for the sport and the athletes. I think any of these can bring the same.
Quote Reply
Re: what's the latest "BIG announcement" from ironman? [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is that its the locals not WTC that "cut" races, i.e. can't get a lead sponsor, local government doesn't want too support etc.
Quote Reply
Re: what's the latest "BIG announcement" from ironman? [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calvin386 wrote:
Does anyone think this new race announcement indicates that IM is going to cut a race and stay at ten US races?

New NA Championship? Texas gone?
Quote Reply
Re: what's the latest "BIG announcement" from ironman? [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like Memphis is too close to Chattanooga to get the nod. My guess is Iowa or Oklahoma. Those two locations would truly be new regions.

Louisville's contract goes through 2019. I haven't heard anything about an extension. However, IM seems to be making an effort to making this race somewhat of an amateur (AWA) championship with the additional AWA Kona slots and AWA swim wave
Quote Reply
Re: what's the latest "BIG announcement" from ironman? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So was this an announcement of the announcement? When will the announcement actually be?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: what's the latest "BIG announcement" from ironman? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone mentioned earlier in the thread (about half way down page 1) that the race will be announced in June. Not sure if that is accurate though.
Quote Reply
Re: what's the latest "BIG announcement" from ironman? [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
My guess is that its the locals not WTC that "cut" races, i.e. can't get a lead sponsor, local government doesn't want too support etc.

Perhaps, but that didn't seem to be what they intimated on the announcement.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: what's the latest "BIG announcement" from ironman? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
So was this an announcement of the announcement? When will the announcement actually be?

Basically, as per their FB Page

Announcing our four finalists for our new IRONMAN race in the late spring/early summer of 2020:
- Des Moines, Iowa
- Fayetteville, Arkansas
- Memphis, Tennessee
- Tulsa, Oklahoma

The final announcement will be made in mid-June. Stay tuned to IRONMAN social for more on this process.
Quote Reply
Re: what's the latest "BIG announcement" from ironman? [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure as a first year race it would be a NA Championship. (and replace Texas ... texas has had its share of course changes and "issues") Santa Rosa more well suited to be a championship race than Tulsa at this point.

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: what's the latest "BIG announcement" from ironman? [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Latourette wrote:
Not sure as a first year race it would be a NA Championship. (and replace Texas ... texas has had its share of course changes and "issues") Santa Rosa more well suited to be a championship race than Tulsa at this point.

They may want a "centrally" located race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am surprised they didn't do a secret announcement for Chattanooga offering a Relay this year. Has Ironman done a Relay for Full Distance anywhere or is this the first?

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: what's the latest "BIG announcement" from ironman? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Frankly I have to say I was exited about this. It's great to have another race in the midwest, and one that is not in a place that will be prohibitively expensive, can drive to, etc. Sadly our sport has been gravitating to being the "sport of kings" ish, with prices and locations to match. I'm happy they have taken this route for now. Sure, it has little "wow" factor for many of you, but while Madison even is little known for a vacation location, the race shows it can be very successful for the sport and the athletes. I think any of these can bring the same.

"sport of kings" ish, with prices and locations to match ---- yes there is a well known coaching podcast I started listening too after doing my first $200 70.3 race on my $800 bikes direct bike.

After three years I have learned so much that can be practically applied in any race I do, but at the same time the "sport of kings-ish" is apparent when you listen to the podcast interviews with their clients.

It was great to learn how these people got into the sport and succeeded but after 3 years of Ventum bikes, Normatec boots, and vasa trainers.

I can't relate to this crowd so I just listen to their podcasts that cover a particular topic. I just want the training and science bits,
Quote Reply

Prev Next