Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"PUNK" on EPIX
Quote | Reply
Xfinity is having a "Watch-A-Thon" this week, so all the channels I don't subscribe to are available On Demand; EPIX being one of them
https://www.theringer.com/...gy-pop-henry-rollins

I've seen 3 of the 4 episodes, and there are no new revelations, except maybe that Flea had absolutely NO interest in rock music at all, and wanted to pursue Jazz trumpet in the mold of Dizzy Gillespie ... Until he heard The Germs [they don't make it clear - or maybe I missed it - whether this was in OZ or LA]

So you can credit Pat Smear for kick-starting RHCP?

Even better, however, was "Godfathers of Hardcore" on HBO about Agnostic Front

https://uproxx.com/...front-ian-mcfarland/

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: "PUNK" on EPIX [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen those shows on my guide but I don't get Epix. I thought they had an episode for Bad Religion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Xfinity is having a "Watch-A-Thon" this week, so all the channels I don't subscribe to are available On Demand; EPIX being one of them

I've seen 3 of the 4 episodes, and there are no new revelations, except maybe that Flea had absolutely NO interest in rock music at all, and wanted to pursue Jazz trumpet in the mold of Dizzy Gillespie ... Until he heard The Germs [they don't make it clear - or maybe I missed it - whether this was in OZ or LA]

Thanks for the notice. I enjoy documentaries like this and am looking forward to watching them. While not a part of this, if you are interested try to get your hands on the VH1 documentary "Metal Evolution". 12 episodes but worth it.

Also, check out "New Wave:Dare to be Different" documentary about WLIR. That one is fascinating and full of music from my youth.
Quote Reply
Re: "PUNK" on EPIX [crowny2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crowny2 wrote:
RandMart wrote:

Thanks for the notice. I enjoy documentaries like this and am looking forward to watching them. While not a part of this, if you are interested try to get your hands on the VH1 documentary "Metal Evolution". 12 episodes but worth it.

Also, check out "New Wave:Dare to be Different" documentary about WLIR. That one is fascinating and full of music from my youth.

That's a cute story but far from the first radio station in the US to be all Punk/New Wave. KROQ and KNAC had this format in 78, 91X out of Mexico began this format in 81 nor 82.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crowny2 wrote:
if you are interested try to get your hands on the VH1 documentary "Metal Evolution". 12 episodes but worth it.

Yep! I saw that on it's original release

Quote:

There was a station in Philly, around 1980-81-ish, somewhere around 'MMR [93.3] or 'YSP [94.1] on the dial, that played all the Punk/New Wave artists of the day - and NOT just the singles - for a whole Summer ... without commercials

Quote Reply
Re: "PUNK" on EPIX [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
I've seen those shows on my guide but I don't get Epix. I thought they had an episode for Bad Religion.

I've only gotten through 3 of the 4, so maybe in the finale? They're not really doing an episode of every band, but perhaps they'll get a mention?

Episode 3 took us through Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, DOA & Hardcore*, and ended with a Riot Grrl teaser from Kate Hannah for Episode 4

* Some footage looks like it was stolen straight from Decline of Western Civilization

Last edited by: RandMart: Apr 11, 19 6:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:

I've only gotten through 3 of the 4, so maybe in the finale? They're not really doing an episode of every band, but perhaps they'll get a mention?

Yes, Bad Religion, NOFX and the Epitaph stable were included extensively in Episode 4 [Fat Mike in a nightie is especially hilarious]

Green Day, Warped Tour and the issue of "selling out" were covered as well

A good show, and like the sign in my kitchen says

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a song years ago,"Hot Topic is not Punk Rock" that was pretty funny and spot on.

I was front row at Dropkick Murphys a few weeks ago-just in front and to the side of the mosh pit. I'm too old to mosh!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
There was a song years ago,"Hot Topic is not Punk Rock" that was pretty funny and spot on.

My beloved Virginia Plain gives me shit for this all the time, but if D'Kid & I are in D'Mall, and she pops into Hot Topic for some Harry Potter/Doctor Who/Game Of Thrones/Stranger Things merch, and she could get an extra discount if I pick up a Ramones shirt, I'm sure as fuck doing it

In fact, I grabbed such a thing once, which was a replica/fake 1976 Ramones tour shirt, with dates at Max's Kansas City, CBGB, and My Fathers Place .... shows my cousin's step-dad had actually gotten us into, although we were insanely underage

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wish I still had mine, first time seeing them was in the late 80s when they still had DeeDee, wore the shirt until it was ragged. Saw them a few more times after that but that first show was my favorite.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: "PUNK" on EPIX [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Ramones at Tampa Theater were my first ever concert in July, 1981 when I was 13 years old. Saw them a couple more times over the years, but never as good as that first concert. Of all the groups, I would have killed to see the Clash, but they never came to my neck of the woods. I'l l have to see if the Epix series is on demand and check it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally had a chance to watch it. Interesting to see all the cross over between the documentaries I mentioned earlier (Metal Evolution, New Wave, CBGB) from the origins in the sound of Kinks to similar attitudes to the environment of the day. Found it interesting that both Punk and Metal claim Nirvana.

Hardcore was an interesting cross over that continued for quite a while. In the late 80's I went to a triple bill that had Savatage and Sick of it All (Can't remember the 3rd). Warehouse that officially should have only allowed 500-600 people that had closer to 1000. Group of skinheads standing at the back that got called out by the bands to basically fuck off. I was a metal head at the time and gained a lot of respect for them and followed SoiA for a while after that.

Overall enjoyed the film. The Punk scene started when I was but a wee lad in the 70's but I picked up on some of it as I really started to listen to music as a teen in the early to mid 80's (Generation X which is quite weak, the Clash, the Sex Pistols, then the evolution into New Wave) and continue to enjoy how the new kids coming up with their own sound these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only found episode 3 on youtube. i don't have epix. any other sources to watch it?

Quote Reply
Re: "PUNK" on EPIX [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
I've only found episode 3 on youtube. i don't have epix. any other sources to watch it?

No, I accidentally subscribed to Epix and decided fuck it, I'll watch it and then cancel the subscription later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was something else on EPIX that I wanted to watch during the free on-demand week, but now I can't remember what it was

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you like punk, seek out a documentary called,"A Band Called Death".
It was very interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
It was very interesting.
Thanks for the heads up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
It was very interesting.

Absolutely!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:

The new release is very good

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just gave a couple songs a listen.

Thanks for the post. I didn't know they had a new album.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And a TOUR

https://www.punknews.org/...ligion-us-and-canada

Warped in AC is sold out [plus, we'll be in San Diego] so I'll miss them this time around

Quote Reply