Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Power profiling and workouts to increase 1 minute power? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The one thing I see missing from a lot of these conversations is using some data program to go back and analyze what you did.

If you're targeting 1 min power and doing :30/:30 or something along those lines, then how much total interval time are you above/below/at the targets you need to be to raise 1 min power? If you do 20 min of total intervals and are only at/above your target for 4 min is that workout a success or failure?

Anyone can think of workouts to raise 1 min power, the smart(er) person is going to go back through their data to see if those workouts are really going to boost/are effective for raising 1 min power (or whatever minute(s)) or BOOST/be EFFECTIVE for raising the targeted power duration.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Power profiling and workouts to increase 1 minute power? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any reason why WKO4+ would not be sufficient? It is easy to track MMP for e.g. 1 minute over time. If you don't see an improvement in my MMP over that time interval then either the training didn't help, or that time interval wasn't relevant to my group ride performance / crit performance, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Power profiling and workouts to increase 1 minute power? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
devolikewhoa83 wrote:
rubik wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Do 45 second intervals at about 95% max power. Burning really bad at the end, just about to failure. 3 minutes rest in between, at least 3 sets. No more than 5 sets.

45 secs (everything from ~30-60 secs) at 95% should be closer to 8-10 minutes recovery. You need maximum recovery to give maximum efforts at these.

Agree with this, and this is probably the biggest difference between someone who is training specifically to compete at this duration (e.g. on the track) vs. someone who is training this duration as part of a comprehensive strengthening of their overall tool box prior to racing season (e.g., someone who competes on road, cx or mtb).

The former is trying to maximize power whereas for the former, repeatability is probably more important.

True. But if you get your one minute power up like the way I suggest, the watts you can make will probably explode your frame into a thousand pieces and end the race of everybody around you. Then walk to the finish line holding what's left of a wheel and you are THE CHAMP. ;)

But with 3 min recoveries you're focusing more towards the aerobic side of things. There's a place for that, but it's not the best way to maximize one minute power. It's a good way to get specific fitness for the closing of a race though, say jumping to get into position, jumping to hold position, then jumping to sprint. Or repeated attacks to get a break going.
Quote Reply
Re: Power profiling and workouts to increase 1 minute power? [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WKO4 is sufficient. The MMP is your results of the experiment chart.
It answers the question did my 1 min MMP increase, stay level or decrease.
There are charts already prebuilt in the WKO 4 library that can tell you if/what/when/how that you need to ponder to to make decisions on your training

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Power profiling and workouts to increase 1 minute power? [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought I would provide an update. I did a dedicated one minute effort yesterday at the end of a 75 minute lunch ride. Sprinted into the base of a ~45 second hill and did everything to keep the speed up. Ended up averaging 545W, previous best in TP was 465W, which puts me much more in line with 1s and 5min.

I think my conclusion is I had just never really hit close to 1 minute power in regular riding before - and I have other things to work on in order to hang when the group goes really fast. Thanks for the discussion ^, good stuff.
Quote Reply

Prev Next