Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kids Running 12yo daughter
Quote | Reply
My 12 yo daughter is primarily a soccer player, but decided to give up lacrosse to try track this spring at school. She is convinced that she is a distance runner, probably because I have no fast twitch muscles.

She wants to run the 800m/1600m. But qualified for her teams Penn Relays 4 x 100 team with a 13.7 100. At yesterday’s practice for the relay she asked the coach if she could run a 400m to see what it was like. She ran a 64.3 solo on a pretty windy day.

It seams like she has some speed, should she focus on that or do a mix of distances? Her mile is a 6:09 same day as the 100m and she said she took it out way to hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Kids Running 12yo daughter [mbeaugard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbeaugard wrote:
My 12 yo daughter is primarily a soccer player, but decided to give up lacrosse to try track this spring at school. She is convinced that she is a distance runner, probably because I have no fast twitch muscles.

She wants to run the 800m/1600m. But qualified for her teams Penn Relays 4 x 100 team with a 13.7 100. At yesterday’s practice for the relay she asked the coach if she could run a 400m to see what it was like. She ran a 64.3 solo on a pretty windy day.

It seams like she has some speed, should she focus on that or do a mix of distances? Her mile is a 6:09 same day as the 100m and she said she took it out way to hard.

focus on having fun. Focus on a mix of things. Mostly making friends. If relays are an option do relays.

There will be plenty of time to specialize later. There are also lots of distance things (ie. 5k's short cross things etc) that can be done in the summer outside of school
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My son is 12 yo & just a little faster than your daughter. He seems to be moving in the XC/TF direction & I am trying my damnedest to keep the reigns on him. In my opinion, nothing good can come from overdoing it at that age & I let him run when he wants to & I don’t force him when he doesn’t. I want him to enjoy running for the rest of his life & not hate it or turn up too injured to run by the time he is 20.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have fun and make friends. Do other sports or activities too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
let her play many, many sports while specializing in none of them for another couple of years.
Most early specialization kids wait instead of me typing just read these. Also make your daughters coach(es) read them.

https://sportsscientists.com/...specialize-in-sport/
https://sportsscientists.com/...-talent-development/

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply