Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Safe to run/bike in Costa Rica (Peninsula Papagayo)
Quote | Reply
Heading to Costa Rica for a work trip next week. Has anyone stayed in this area? Is it safe to be out and about running...biking...etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Safe to run/bike in Costa Rica (Peninsula Papagayo) [unicat141] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely, that should be a safe place. Also very good roads for cycling in my opinion, there are flat and also hillier parts. Just stay on top of your hydration :)

Just the same care with cars you would have in any other road.
Quote Reply
Re: Safe to run/bike in Costa Rica (Peninsula Papagayo) [unicat141] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple of years ago, I stayed at a "hotel" in Playa del Coco which is pretty close. Drove into parking lot, they said the room wasn't ready yet, so we went for a 10-15min walk on the beach. During that time someone broke into our car and stole some stuff, most notably, a bag that happened to have a passport in it.

It was a trip to remember for sure: police station, filing a report, getting a replacement car from the car rental company, driving cross country to get to the U.S. Embassy to try and get some document with which to catch our flight home on time... Pura Vida. I will not go back:)
Quote Reply
Re: Safe to run/bike in Costa Rica (Peninsula Papagayo) [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He ain't lyin'...I lived there for 3 years, they'll steal anything not hot wired with 220v. No real law against it.

-bobo

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
unicat141 wrote:
Heading to Costa Rica for a work trip next week. Has anyone stayed in this area? Is it safe to be out and about running...biking...etc.

I loved Costa Rica and we stayed in Dominical located on the west coast 9 years ago for a couple weeks. We had no problems with theft or crime. But the road conditions were very rough even for our tiny 4 wheel drive rental jeep. You could ride a mountain bike on a quiet road but we didn't do any type of cycling. It wasn't really an activity people did in that area (at that time). Surfing, hiking and yoga were popular. Even running was limited. I did a tiny bit of barefoot running on the beaches at lower tide doing laps. It was also hotter than hell in March. Trail running alone is dangerous due to the very poisonous snakes. Without a local guide who knows the area, I wouldn't risk it. Hiking with a guide was our main activity along with yoga and a couple surf lessons in shallow water for me :-)

I would go back to Costa Rica again. I loved the people and the breathtaking countryside. It's not like some of the other countries in the area where there is civil unrest and political turmoil. We felt safe there. Also there are a lot of ex pats who live in Costa Rica. I didn't consider it a third world country but others might disagree with me. I've seen much worse in regards to poverty and crime in the US and abroad. I have lived in certain areas in the US where I have been robbed several times in my younger years.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Last edited by: 70Trigirl: Mar 29, 19 13:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
felt safe, yes.
there is a pretty long bike bath that runs through the hotels. ok for running, not so much for riding (except beach cruisers).

i'm sure ppl do it but seemed to me that riding would be a death wish. poor quality, narrow roads w no shoulders and crazy drivers/tour buses/trucks..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've spent the last 10 months running the back roads, mountains, villages in Mexico, Belize, Guatemala almost every day without issue.

We stayed and ran in something like 150 places including just under 90 in Mexico including all the 'no go' states like Sinoloa, Chihuahua, Durango, Colima, Mexico City etc etc.

I know this isn't Costa Rica but the point remains the same (and we are fairly clued into Central/South American issues). There is very little chance of any increased risk for those not involved in any nefarious trade. Just be smart and if you are not sure ask the locals if it is safe.

Running in those places is a wonderful way to get out and see village life. Be smart, not scared :)

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Last edited by: JayPeeWhy: Mar 29, 19 16:29
Quote Reply
Re: Safe to run/bike in Costa Rica (Peninsula Papagayo) [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there recently. Ran all over. Found a killer hill. I think cycling would be great out there.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes and Yes! Stayed with the wife for a few nights at the 4 Seasons on the Gulf of Papagayo last year. It was amazing. Running was not a problem. I didn't ride (it was basically a long weekend away from our kids), but ran early am and hiked through Rincon Viejo for about six hours one day with the wife. If you surf, go to Ollie's Point past Witch's Rock via local boat guide. Such fun place. Papagayo is a great area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you get a chance to hike rincon de la vieja to the top, do it. one of the best in the world. plenty of moutain biking in there as well.

sure seems like no shoulders and crazy drivers on the roads. however, i did la ruta once, the road sections were no worse than up here in yanqui land
Quote Reply
Re: Safe to run/bike in Costa Rica (Peninsula Papagayo) [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:
A couple of years ago, I stayed at a "hotel" in Playa del Coco which is pretty close. Drove into parking lot, they said the room wasn't ready yet, so we went for a 10-15min walk on the beach. During that time someone broke into our car and stole some stuff, most notably, a bag that happened to have a passport in it.

It was a trip to remember for sure: police station, filing a report, getting a replacement car from the car rental company, driving cross country to get to the U.S. Embassy to try and get some document with which to catch our flight home on time... Pura Vida. I will not go back:)

Theft is rampant in many places. Many small hotels have someone to watch the parking lot, storage of building materials etc. Violent crime not much of a problem

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply