Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

NFL -- Lets solve the onside kick problem
Quote | Reply
Possibly the best play in football (love it when someone sneaks one in to start the 2nd half)

But the rules changes have killed it... how do they fix it... I don't have a solution hoping someone here does.

While we are at it.. extra points and the 2pt conversion... I don't like the current situation where you have to declare a 2pt play ahead of time.. (technically I Think you could still try a fake extra point.. wonder if we will see that for 2pts some time)

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL -- Lets solve the onside kick problem [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you watched the AAF?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a big fast dude with good hands to kick it to himself.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just unfix it. The previous version worked just fine. My anecdotal eyeball test was that there weren't a huge number of injuries on the previous version. Not sure what the actual numbers were.

I hate the idea of being able to try a 4th and 15 to keep the ball. Why not play a game of duck duck goose instead?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL -- Lets solve the onside kick problem [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Get a big fast dude with good hands to kick it to himself.
This. Since the kicker is still allowed to take a running start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ball has to go 5 yards, not 10.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL -- Lets solve the onside kick problem [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Just unfix it. The previous version worked just fine. My anecdotal eyeball test was that there weren't a huge number of injuries on the previous version. Not sure what the actual numbers were.

I hate the idea of being able to try a 4th and 15 to keep the ball. Why not play a game of duck duck goose instead?
This. Most injuries happen on full kickoffs. They've ruined the chance for an exciting comeback by essentially eliminating the onside kick. I'd like to see some artful kickers make use of the popup but you have that pesky fair catch rule.

I like the 5y suggestion too.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL -- Lets solve the onside kick problem [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I say move the kickoff up further. Then, if on the kickoff you can get it through the uprights from some crazy distance......3 points. Other team still gets the ball on the 20.

Lol.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL -- Lets solve the onside kick problem [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onside_kick

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kick offs and on-side kicks remain but make them no hard contact. No blocking, no tackling. Ball-carrier is downed on first touch with opponent.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: NFL -- Lets solve the onside kick problem [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
M~ wrote:

Yes, I am saying have it go 5 instead of 10.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL -- Lets solve the onside kick problem [TAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TAC wrote:

No, should I?

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:

Interesting, but the NFL wouldn't like it cause now you have guys running at each other, but it would be interesting to watch and the success ratio would go up.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
TAC wrote:

No, should I?

Not if you think NFL is boring. AAF doesn’t kickoff (places ball at 25 yard line instead) or kick extra points (Only field goals). Must go for 2 on touchdowns. On side kick is 4th and 12 from your own 28 yard line. Other than the going for 2, it’s a Snooze fest.

As for fixing the current on side rules, I would go with the good old XFL Scramble...
https://gfycat.com/flatbeneficialdotterel
Last edited by: TAC: Mar 28, 19 8:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Nova wrote:
M~ wrote:

Yes, I am saying have it go 5 instead of 10.

Gotcha, misunderstood.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: NFL -- Lets solve the onside kick problem [TAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TAC wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
TAC wrote:

No, should I?

Not if you think NFL is boring. AAF doesn’t kickoff (places ball at 25 yard line instead) or kick extra points (Only field goals). Must go for 2 on touchdowns. On side kick is 4th and 12 from your own 28 yard line. Other than the going for 2, it’s a Snooze fest.

As for fixing the current on side rules, I would go with the good old XFL Scramble...
https://gfycat.com/flatbeneficialdotterel

Yeah that does sound like they took the kicking game out completely, hell why not eliminate punts also. Oh that might make it exciting and high scoring.

I was going to say the only one I might not mind seeing in the NFL would be a mandatory go for 2 after a touchdown, but I actually think I would also be ok with a no punt rule (Sorry punters, just put you all out of a job)

Just Triing
Quote Reply