Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Are there people here who really believe we should decide the POTUS by popular vote? [Cavechild] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 "I think that before we change the EC, the Dems should probably change the primary system to a winner by popular vote. "

That doesn't make any sense. Why would you have a primary decided by popular vote if the general election isn't going to be? If candidate A does really well in CA, TX, and NY, but can't pick up a single swing state, would it make any sense to select them for the general?

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Are there people here who really believe we should decide the POTUS by popular vote? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree let's keep corrupt undemocratic primary process while we complain about the undemocratic general election process. You never fail to let me down!
Quote Reply
Re: Are there people here who really believe we should decide the POTUS by popular vote? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
len wrote:
Not to you in particular but isn't it pretty much a lock that you will always have the electoral college? Since there are more small states than large ones why would they ever give up their influence by abolishing it? So why do people bring it up?

How does the electoral college give small states any power? I think the last time a presidential candidate visited North Dakota was in the 1960s. Presidential candidates don't visit small states more than large states, they visit swing states. Something like 80% of both trump and Clinton's campaigning after they had the nomination was in 6 states. The electoral college gives massive attention to a handful of swing states, not small states. They spent a huge amount of time in states like Pennsylvania and Florida, which are no small states. People in Idaho are just as meaningless in the EC as someone in California. There are way more states that are ignored due to the EC than states that get anything out of it.

Electoral college votes are determined by adding the number of house and senate reps a state has. Since each state has 2 senators small states get proportionally more electoral college votes than large ones. There are for instance 13 states that have 4 or less votes. Wyoming for instance has 3 votes but under a population vote system would get the equivalent influence of one vote. About the same for North Dakota They are not going to get visited either way. The reason many states don't get visited is because they reliably swing one way or another. But just because a state reliably swings one way or another does not mean they would be willing to give up whatever increased influence they have in the process..

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Mar 28, 19 13:02
Quote Reply
Re: Are there people here who really believe we should decide the POTUS by popular vote? [Cavechild] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I agree let's keep corrupt undemocratic primary process while we complain about the undemocratic general election process. You never fail to let me down! "

I must have misunderstood you. I didn't realize the only options were to either have a popular vote or to maintain the status quo. The way you wrote it, it looked like the options were popular vote versus EC.

You might want to edit your previous post to make it more clear.

EDIT: unless your point isn't specifically about the corruption (like having the super delegates swing everything), but rather specifically using an EC versus a popular vote, in which case I think you completely don't understand what a primary is. It's not a competition to reward the most worthy person the honor of going to the general election. Its to select a representative of the party to fight for a victory in the general election.

If the general was decided by a foot race, would you rely on a popularity contest to send your candidate? Likewise, if the general uses an EC, why wouldn't you use an EC for your primary?

Last edited by: BarryP: Mar 28, 19 12:58
Quote Reply
Re: Are there people here who really believe we should decide the POTUS by popular vote? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
chaparral wrote:
len wrote:
Not to you in particular but isn't it pretty much a lock that you will always have the electoral college? Since there are more small states than large ones why would they ever give up their influence by abolishing it? So why do people bring it up?

How does the electoral college give small states any power? I think the last time a presidential candidate visited North Dakota was in the 1960s. Presidential candidates don't visit small states more than large states, they visit swing states. Something like 80% of both trump and Clinton's campaigning after they had the nomination was in 6 states. The electoral college gives massive attention to a handful of swing states, not small states. They spent a huge amount of time in states like Pennsylvania and Florida, which are no small states. People in Idaho are just as meaningless in the EC as someone in California. There are way more states that are ignored due to the EC than states that get anything out of it.

Electoral college votes are determined by adding the number of house and senate reps a state has. Since each state has 2 senators small states get proportionally more electoral college votes than large ones. The reason many states don't get visited is because they reliably swing one way or another. But just because a state reliably swings one way or another does not mean they would be willing to give up whatever increased influence they have in the process..

But what influence do they have if no candidates visit them? Do you think they will get LESS attention with if popular vote is used? Less than 0? They would give up no influence when your influence right now is 0. Seriously, can you give me an example of the influence North Dakota gets from the EC that they wouldn't have with the popular vote. Presidential candidates don't care about the votes in North Dakota, because they are not worth anything to them, so why propose policies that would be good for those voters?

At least with popular vote there is reason for both parties to visit a small state. For example, there is no reason for a Republican or a Democrat to visit Nebraska with the EC. The Republican has no incentive since they are going to win the EC votes anyway, no reason to waste time getting more votes. A Democrat has no reason, since they won't win the EC there and time is better spent other places. But with the popular vote, each vote is equal. So getting one more vote in Nebraska is worth as much as one more vote in Florida. Now instead of visiting Florida 20 times or Pennsylvania 15 times, they have time and reason to visit Nebraska. Then presidential candidates in both parties have reason to appeal to voters in Nebraska, which gives Nebraska more influence than it currently has.

The fact is that popular vote will increase the influence of more than 40 states. Only few swing states will lose influence.
Quote Reply
Re: Are there people here who really believe we should decide the POTUS by popular vote? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
len wrote:
chaparral wrote:
len wrote:

Electoral college votes are determined by adding the number of house and senate reps a state has. Since each state has 2 senators small states get proportionally more electoral college votes than large ones. The reason many states don't get visited is because they reliably swing one way or another. But just because a state reliably swings one way or another does not mean they would be willing to give up whatever increased influence they have in the process..

But what influence do they have if no candidates visit them? Do you think they will get LESS attention with if popular vote is used? Less than 0? They would give up no influence when your influence right now is 0. Seriously, can you give me an example of the influence North Dakota gets from the EC that they wouldn't have with the popular vote. Presidential candidates don't care about the votes in North Dakota, because they are not worth anything to them, so why propose policies that would be good for those voters?

At least with popular vote there is reason for both parties to visit a small state. For example, there is no reason for a Republican or a Democrat to visit Nebraska with the EC. The Republican has no incentive since they are going to win the EC votes anyway, no reason to waste time getting more votes. A Democrat has no reason, since they won't win the EC there and time is better spent other places. But with the popular vote, each vote is equal. So getting one more vote in Nebraska is worth as much as one more vote in Florida. Now instead of visiting Florida 20 times or Pennsylvania 15 times, they have time and reason to visit Nebraska. Then presidential candidates in both parties have reason to appeal to voters in Nebraska, which gives Nebraska more influence than it currently has.

The fact is that popular vote will increase the influence of more than 40 states. Only few swing states will lose influence.

Do you think the good people of Wyoming who likely swing Republican will be happy going from 3 votes to one. Would they rather have the warm fuzzies because they got visited or the 3 votes. The Republicans who are the majority want a Republican president. They won't be happy to have less of that likelihood by going proportional.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Mar 28, 19 13:26
Quote Reply
Re: Are there people here who really believe we should decide the POTUS by popular vote? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Do you think the good people of Wyoming who likely swing Republican will be happy going from 3 votes to one."

One?

Why would they go to one vote?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They don't get less representation by going to proportional scheme. They get the same over-weighting of their vote that they presently get, except that their vote actually means something, and parties would actually campaign for their vote.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
windywave wrote:
chaparral wrote:
windywave wrote:
chaparral wrote:
windywave wrote:
jimmyn wrote:

What I don't like about the EC is that votes in one state essentially count for more than in other places. That is where a popular vote result would really be one person=one vote and someone in CA counts for the same as someone in WY.

You realize that is by design, right?

Yes, because slaveholders wanted to be able to vote for their slaves.

Your fundamental lack of understanding of Constitutional history is simultaneously impressive and appalling.

Hahaha, I am sure it was just a coincidence that southern states put in the in the 3/5ths compromise and that just happened to increase the number of votes those states got in the EC. Just a whole bunch of happy accidents.

I am sure that they were shocked when they figured out what they did.

Of course they weren't shocked. James Madison proposed the EC specifically so that states with slaves would get more influence,

James Madison "The right of suffrage was much more diffusive in the Northern than the Southern States; and the latter could have no influence in the election on the score of Negroes. The substitution of electors obviated this difficulty."

There are also lots of other qoutes. Why else are the number of EC based the number of number of representatives in congress? Couldn't they just made it based on the number of free persons in the state? Why use the number that gets inflated by having slaves?

Big Boy I hate to break it to you, but the compromise was to limit slave states representation not increase it. BTW it all boiled down to taxes: Slave states wanted slaves to not count since they were property but free states did because they were people (although the inverse was true for representation where free states didn't want to count them as people but slave states did hence the compromise diminished slave state representation. (Talk about intellectually dishonest I would not have done well in that debate).

Haha, now that is funny. You really don't know anything about history.

Seriously, learn some history this is well documented. Slave owners wanted slaves to be counted as property, but that was when representation was going to be determined by wealth. Once representation was going to due to population, slave owners immediately wanted slaves to be counted as people. Your argument makes no sense, since non-slave owners were arguing that slaves should not count towards representation, hence the compromise of 3/5.

Not to mention that the constitution specifically called out taxing of slaves as property! So the 3/5 compromise did not stop that.

Where are you getting these ideas from?

So slave states wanted slaves to be counted for representation purposes in totality i.e. 5.00 per 5.00 slaves yet the Constitution results in 3.00 per 5.00 slaves. Please explain how the 3/5 compromise increased slave state representation?

Your whole statement is just nonsense.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/articlei
Quote Reply
Re: Are there people here who really believe we should decide the POTUS by popular vote? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
"Do you think the good people of Wyoming who likely swing Republican will be happy going from 3 votes to one."

One?

Why would they go to one vote?

Allegedly the math works out to the equivalent worth of one electoral vote in a popular election
Quote Reply
Re: Are there people here who really believe we should decide the POTUS by popular vote? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Allegedly the math works out to the equivalent worth of one electoral vote in a popular election."

Ahh. I'll assume that that is correct without redoing the math myself, because it is irrelevant.

The argument then is that with an EC, they get 3 votes. Without an EC, they would get the equivalent of 1 vote.
Where this fails is that they don't actually get 3 votes with an EC. They get 0.

Now, to answer the question of WHY would they want to go from 3(0) to 1? The argument for it is what I laid out above. The argument against it would be a misunderstanding of how elections work......which is more than likely the case.

Quote Reply
Re: Are there people here who really believe we should decide the POTUS by popular vote? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So slave states wanted slaves to be counted for representation purposes in totality i.e. 5.00 per 5.00 slaves yet the Constitution results in 3.00 per 5.00 slaves. Please explain how the 3/5 compromise increased slave state representation?

Originally slave states pushed for not counting slaves at all for taxation, AND counting them representation. That was ludicrous. They were willing to have them count fully as people for both purposes (though they were property). Conversely non-slave states said that slaves were property, so they shouldn't be counted for taxation or representation. from the viewpoint of non-slave states, the compromise increased representation for slave states. At the time, both viewpoints had validity (The intransigence of the Southern states, and their steadfast willingness to walk away, gave them a negotiating upper hand).

However, that was then and there, we are here and now. Hindsight and history and impartiality would side with non-slave states. Slaves were porperty, and had none of the rights afforded to humans (or guaranteed later by the Constitution), and thus had no reason to be counted as population for tax purposes OR representation.

Slave states won an unreasonable negotiation, precisely because they were so dependent on the "peculiar institution", that there was no possiblity of impartial arbitration on the issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Are there people here who really believe we should decide the POTUS by popular vote? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

Originally slave states pushed for not counting slaves at all for taxation, AND counting them representation. That was ludicrous. They were willing to have them count fully as people for both purposes (though they were property). Conversely non-slave states said that slaves were property, so they shouldn't be counted for taxation or representation. from the viewpoint of non-slave states, the compromise increased representation for slave states. At the time, both viewpoints had validity (The intransigence of the Southern states, and their steadfast willingness to walk away, gave them a negotiating upper hand).
You literally just regurgitated my previous that was allegedly incomprehensible

Quote:

However, that was then and there, we are here and now. Hindsight and history and impartiality would side with non-slave states. Slaves were porperty, and had none of the rights afforded to humans (or guaranteed later by the Constitution), and thus had no reason to be counted as population for tax purposes OR representation.

Slave states won an unreasonable negotiation, precisely because they were so dependent on the "peculiar institution", that there was no possiblity of impartial arbitration on the issue.

It wasn't an unreasonable negotiation from their perspective since having slaves count fully for tax purposes but not at all for representation would be unfair from their perspective.

At that time while slavery was important economically it was not the cornerstone of the economies as it was in the 1840 and 1850's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Yes, it increased their representation. It is a very simple concept. Lets say a state had 10,000 free people and 10,000 slaves. The non-slave states said that state had a population of 10,000 because you can't count slaves because they are property (if they are people, how do you justify buying and selling them). The slave states wanted the state's population to be 20,000, because it gave them more representation. So them compromised and agreed the state would have a population of 16,000. Since 16,000 is more than 10,000, the slave states got more represention. Unless you think 10,000 is more than 16,000? It is not hard math. You simply don't get to count them as people AND property.

How else do you explain the James Madison quote? He specifically says the EC is good because it helps states with slaves get more power.

You do also understand that increasing the population of state did not directly increase it taxes to the federal government? The federal governments revenue was based on excise taxes that were not based on the population. I don't know where you got that idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
windywave wrote:

Yes, it increased their representation. It is a very simple concept. Lets say a state had 10,000 free people and 10,000 slaves. The non-slave states said that state had a population of 10,000 because you can't count slaves because they are property (if they are people, how do you justify buying and selling them). The slave states wanted the state's population to be 20,000, because it gave them more representation. So them compromised and agreed the state would have a population of 16,000. Since 16,000 is more than 10,000, the slave states got more represention. Unless you think 10,000 is more than 16,000? It is not hard math. You simply don't get to count them as people AND property.

How else do you explain the James Madison quote? He specifically says the EC is good because it helps states with slaves get more power.

You do also understand that increasing the population of state did not directly increase it taxes to the federal government? The federal governments revenue was based on excise taxes that were not based on the population. I don't know where you got that idea.

So 16K > 20K?

Read the text of the Constitution

I understand the point you're attempting to make, I just think your interpretation is wrong without taking into account the monetary reasons why the compromise came to be
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
chaparral wrote:
windywave wrote:

So 16K > 20K?

Read the text of the Constitution

I understand the point you're attempting to make, I just think your interpretation is wrong without taking into account the monetary reasons why the compromise came to be

Ok, how about we do this.

Lets say we have two states:

Both have 10,000 free people, but one also has 10,000 slaves. Under the popular vote, both states would be able to deliver an equal amount of votes for the president.

Lets say you get 1 rep for every 1,000 people.

So under the EC, the non slave state gets 12 EC votes, but the slave state gets 18 EC votes. So 50% more EC votes. So under popular vote they are equal, but under the EC they get a 50% boost.

See why states with lots of slaves wanted the EC, it gives them much more influence than using the popular vote. Hence why slaves states pushed for it. The EC was not pushed by small states, it was pushed by Virginia the largest state (if you counted slaves).
Quote Reply
Re: Are there people here who really believe we should decide the POTUS by popular vote? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does any of this make sense considering the states signing on to the popular vote compact? This say regardless of how the people of the state vote, the EC votes will all be given to whoever wins the national popular vote. Several states have already agreed to do this, but it won't take effect unless there are at least 270 EC votes. Essentially this means these states can completely disregard the votes of the people in these states if they differ from the national popular vote.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

You literally just regurgitated my previous that was allegedly incomprehensible

Quote:

It wasn't an unreasonable negotiation from their perspective since having slaves count fully for tax purposes but not at all for representation would be unfair from their perspective.

At that time while slavery was important economically it was not the cornerstone of the economies as it was in the 1840 and 1850's.

I'm jumping in late so maybe you have covered this. But you seem to be missing that in a scenario of two states with each having 10,000 freemen and one state having an additional 10,000 slaves, the state with slaves is getting 16,000 votes power from it's 10,000 voters. The slave holders are essentially voting for the slaves. It doesn't seem a stretch to think that the case of each of those group' interests aligning would be pretty rare.

The EC and the 3/5 compromise increased the voting power of those states greatly over what the popular vote would have yielded given that slaves couldn't vote but the power of their proportional representation stayed with the slaveholders.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW, I think we can walk this all the way back to this quote:

"Big Boy I hate to break it to you, but the compromise was to limit slave states representation not increase it. "

By the very nature of the word "compromise," it will both increase and decrease the level of representation depending entirely on the perspective of which side of the compromise you are on.

Slave states wanted 1 slave to = 1 person.
Slaveless states 1 slave to = 0 persons.

They agreed on a compromise of 1 slave = 3/5 of a person. Again, keep in mind, neither side preferred the compromise. They either wanted full representation or no representation. The compromise is a concession from each side.

More importantly, the slave states wanted an EC, because the 3/5 x every slave added to their representation. If they relied on a popular vote, abd slaves don't get to vote, then they would have less representation.

Quote Reply

Prev Next