Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Top "game changer" movies that you'd seen in the theater [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you not see Michael Keaton's Batman?

I now refer to Idiocracy as a docudrama.
Quote Reply
Re: Top "game changer" movies that you'd seen in the theater [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
movies that had some impact on me at a very young age:
To Sir With Love (maybe the song too)
The Good The Bad and The Ugly (first western movie watched on the big screen)

Fargo (first Cohen Brothers movie) got hooked on this genre

Random:
silence of the lambs (big wow)

recently on Netflix:
Hell or High Water
Dangal (Indian movie)
Quote Reply
Re: Top "game changer" movies that you'd seen in the theater [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Try living in Haddonfield [NJ], and walking home form the movie theater "

Did your parents ever explain to you that it took place in Haddonfield, IL?

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Top "game changer" movies that you'd seen in the theater [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I wasn't awed by it then and I think even less of it now. Spielberg certainly made a top-notch Spielberg film - pulling the strings of base emotions, clearly demarking heros and villans, etc. But it felt too Hollywood. It was clearly the 'serious movie Spielberg is making to get the Oscar his saccharine block-buster films never got. And the red coat thing was needlessly over the top.
I though Polanski's "The Pianist" was a much better movie on the subject of the holocaust.[/quote]

"Life is Beautiful" was a good one too, different, not as direct. Roberto Benigni won an Oscar for that movie.
Another Italian movie that I clearly remember, "Cinema Paradiso"
Last edited by: b4itwascold: Mar 25, 19 13:23
Quote Reply
Re: Top "game changer" movies that you'd seen in the theater [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hell or High Water is an incredible movie.

My pretentious contribution to the list: Russian Ark
Toy Story and Into the Spiderverse both seemed to me to mark hugely ambitious changes in animation styles.
Lord of The Rings for the SFX and crowd / army scenes
Blair Witch Project for starting the whole found footage format craze
Trainspotting - I was 16 when that came out and, correctly or otherwise, the content and gonzo style felt revolutionary for such a "big" movie
Once Were Warriors
Beasts of the Southern Wild - just stuck with me - the closest cinematic equivalent to "magical realism" in novels that I've seen

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Top "game changer" movies that you'd seen in the theater [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endless Summer, 1964. I was already hanging out at the beach a lot, I saw that movie and decided then that I really wanted to be a surfer. Pretty big decision for a 9 year old but it's held up well ever since and has been a lifelong sport and passion.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Re: Top "game changer" movies that you'd seen in the theater [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
Blair Witch Project for starting the whole found footage format craze
Blair Witch wasn't a game changer for the "found footage", which isn't really that common, but for the use of "shaky cam" as a way to show action, cover up crappy action and make the audience sick all in one. I hate chaky cam.

Dune
The Incredibles (first computer animation where humans didn't look overly creepy and super hero action so good they had to redo all the Fantastic 4 effects)
Quote Reply
Re: Top "game changer" movies that you'd seen in the theater [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
My pretentious contribution to the list: Russian Ark
Once Were Warriors

These were two that immediately came to mind when I started reading this thread.

Russian Ark; lavish, sumptuous, extravagant and filmed in a single, sweeping and meandering take.

Once Were Warriors; uncompromisingly brutal and realistic.

All also add:
  • Peter Greenaway's The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover.
  • Pan's Labyrinth
  • City of God
  • City of the Lost Children
  • Wolf Creek

Another vote for The Pianist, Alien and Jaws.
Quote Reply
Re: Top "game changer" movies that you'd seen in the theater [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not too much into the major productions but apart from "Matrix" I think that "Apocalypse Now" needs to be on this list.

But the movie that catched me most was "Talk to her" by Almodovar. It completely caught me off guard as I was used to Almodovars colourful, comedy-style movies and simply didnĀ“t expect a movie that emotional. Really left me speechless.

And to recover from that IĀ“d recommend "Down by Law" ;-)

Now that I think about it both movies have the same topic: completely different people tied together in the same situation and how they deal with this and each other
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
"Try living in Haddonfield [NJ], and walking home form the movie theater "

Did your parents ever explain to you that it took place in Haddonfield, IL?

Co-writer Debra Hill was from Haddonfield NJ and actually babysat for the Myers kids [Meredith Myers is year older than me] who lived down the street from me

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Top "game changer" movies that you'd seen in the theater [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm actually interested in more details, mainly because my cousin used to live in Haddonfield, NJ, and my brother still attends church there, so I've been through the town several times.

But everything I'm finding is saying that it was Haddonfield, IL, which is a fictional town. The set was in California, and the characters were fictional, though the story was inspired by an encounter that happened in Kentucky.

I'm thinking you guys had some town rumors growing up, which still legitimizes the horror you felt as a middle school kid.

https://www.esquire.com/...el-myers-true-story/

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
I'm actually interested in more details, mainly because my cousin used to live in Haddonfield, NJ, and my brother still attends church there, so I've been through the town several times

Yeah, sure

We lived on Rhoads Ave, and the Myers lived at the corner of Rhoads Ave & Grove Street [big brick house]

We saw Halloween when it opened at the Westmont Theater [same theater Steven Speilberg used to go to when they lived in Haddon Twp, while his dad was working at RCA] and had to walk home down Haddon Ave

We always kinda figured the mental hospital Michael Myers escaped from was Ancora Psychiatric Hospital in Winslow Twp [which where I live now - Atco, actually]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Mar 26, 19 8:22
Quote Reply
Re: Top "game changer" movies that you'd seen in the theater [Blabelzabel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote And to recover from that IĀ“d recommend "Down by Law"

I will need to watch it. Looks like great cast (and Tom Waits appears quite sober). whenever I see Ellen Barkin name I think of "Sea of Love".
Quote Reply

Prev Next