Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dope Smokers Beware: Study Links Heavy Use to Five-Fold Risk of Psychosis
Quote | Reply
"Reefer madness," indeed. Heh-heh (note, emphases below, mine):

"Smoking high-potency marijuana every day could increase the chances of developing psychosis by nearly five times, according to the biggest-ever study to examine the impact of pot on psychotic disorder rates.

The research adds to previous studies that have found links between marijuana and mental health problems, but still does not definitively pinpoint marijuana as the cause.

Psychotic disorders — in which people lose touch with reality — are typically triggered by factors including genetics and the environment. But experts say the new study’s findings have implications for jurisdictions legalizing marijuana, warning they should consider the potential impact on their mental health services."

To be clear, we're apparently talking about Cheech and Chong levels of smoking, and the stuff that's being smoked is of the newer, more powerful strain of cannabis, not the old school Mary Jane that all the burners used to toke back in the day.

Speaking from an epidemiological standpoint, I don't think the study's the definitive, final-nail-in-the-coffin, last word on dope use and mental health issues, however. For one, as the article's authors admit, psychosis per se is usually understood to involve environmental and genetic factors, so quantifying just how large a role MJ plays in each dope smoker's case is tricky.

Plus, as I said; the quality and amount of the pot you'd have to smoke to generate the end result psychosis seems pretty high (no pun intended) to me. In looking at the usage rates in the study, we're talking multiple times per day, seven days per week, of some pretty strong weed. I don't know any dope smokers who are that into the stuff, to be honest.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Dope Smokers Beware: Study Links Heavy Use to Five-Fold Risk of Psychosis [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or maybe people with mental health problems are more likely to smoke cannabis.
Quote Reply
Re: Dope Smokers Beware: Study Links Heavy Use to Five-Fold Risk of Psychosis [Ringmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ringmaster wrote:

This.

Also, 5 times what? Its meaningless without the base rate. 5 times can still be far below a 1% overall risk. Relative increases/decreases in risk sound so much more impressive than they usually are.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Dope Smokers Beware: Study Links Heavy Use to Five-Fold Risk of Psychosis [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sigh.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very little research has been done on marijuana, but what has come out has not been good, and some recent studies are down right scary. For instance, the first 4 states to legalize weed have seen a 27% increase in their homicide rate! The problem as I see it, is people do not think marijuana has any risks. If you smoke here and there you're probably OK, however 1 in 5 people who smoke weed smoke daily (defined as at least 300 days a year). Like any other substance that alters brain chemistry, that amount of regular use cannot be good for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couldn't it be said that the same amount of alcohol abuse would cause similar effects.

Trying to narrow this down to the abuse aspect as opposed to which substance is being abused.
Quote Reply
Re: Dope Smokers Beware: Study Links Heavy Use to Five-Fold Risk of Psychosis [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
Very little research has been done on marijuana, but what has come out has not been good, and some recent studies are down right scary. For instance, the first 4 states to legalize weed have seen a 27% increase in their homicide rate! The problem as I see it, is people do not think marijuana has any risks. If you smoke here and there you're probably OK, however 1 in 5 people who smoke weed smoke daily (defined as at least 300 days a year). Like any other substance that alters brain chemistry, that amount of regular use cannot be good for you.

Please provide links to studies that show there is a 27% increase. Everything I'm seeing is saying that is False.
Quote Reply
Re: Dope Smokers Beware: Study Links Heavy Use to Five-Fold Risk of Psychosis [xtremrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+’s and -‘s

That’s life.

This - seems pretty likely to me.
(Anecdotally 100% of the people I have known who lost their minds were hourly weed smokers).

But let’s put this in perspective.

Did anyone truly believe that they could smoke weed hourly, for years on end and suffer no negative consequences?
Quote Reply
Re: Dope Smokers Beware: Study Links Heavy Use to Five-Fold Risk of Psychosis [Ringmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ringmaster wrote:

Usually, they smoke cigarettes, especially schizophrenics. I think they controlled for that issue.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Dope Smokers Beware: Study Links Heavy Use to Five-Fold Risk of Psychosis [xtremrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtremrun wrote:
Perseus wrote:

Please provide links to studies that show there is a 27% increase. Everything I'm seeing is saying that is False.

I first read it HERE and several other places, like the Wall Street Journal have cited the study or similar studies that have recently been published.
Quote Reply
Re: Dope Smokers Beware: Study Links Heavy Use to Five-Fold Risk of Psychosis [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mrs. Duffy will completely detach from reality when she does weed.

She’s banned from the THC.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Dope Smokers Beware: Study Links Heavy Use to Five-Fold Risk of Psychosis [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:

Did anyone truly believe that they could smoke weed hourly, for years on end and suffer no negative consequences?

i believe they do. i believe they have the attitude that it's 'all natural' so there's nothing really bad for you.
i wonder how many, who buy in states that it's illegal, ever consider where and how their dope is grown.

https://www.reuters.com/...xperts-idUSKBN1AM0C3
https://www.apnews.com/...428381fa940ccdb0521b

i have to think that the addition of the toxic chemicals either speed up, compound the problem with 'au natural' mj or both, to the psychological decline of the user.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
be careful of science. it's a gateway drug to... more science! if one is not very careful, one may end up using it as an arbiter of truth, even when it cuts against one's worldview!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Ringmaster wrote:

Usually, they smoke cigarettes, especially schizophrenics. I think they controlled for that issue.

So then cigarettes cause schizophrenia?

I didn't see any mention in the article about controlling for known or unknown mental issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ringmaster wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Ringmaster wrote:

I didn't see any mention in the article about controlling for known or unknown mental issues.

I worked for a while as the night counselor in a group home for people with schizophrenia.
Cigarettes were encouraged.
The professional staff believed that cigarettes improved the mental condition of the patients.
Quote Reply
Re: Dope Smokers Beware: Study Links Heavy Use to Five-Fold Risk of Psychosis [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
Ringmaster wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Ringmaster wrote:

I worked for a while as the night counselor in a group home for people with schizophrenia.
Cigarettes were encouraged.
The professional staff believed that cigarettes improved the mental condition of the patients.

I saw that in my quick Google search regarding cigarettes and schizophrenia. Weird stuff.
Quote Reply