Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best and Worst of the MCU
Quote | Reply
The wife and I are working are way through 2nd viewings, in order, of the MCU, and I came across a disappointing movie (Age of Ultron) compared to the others. It got me thinking, what are the best and worst of the MCU in your opinion? Use whatever criteria you like, but for me, I've pretty much stuck to how much did I enjoy the movie.

Here's three rankings I found online:

https://filmschoolrejects.com/marvel-movies-ranked/
https://www.vox.com/...marvel-black-panther
https://www.esquire.com/...verse-movies-ranked/

Averaging them together, this was the result:

Top 5 (Alphabetical Order):

Avengers
Black Panther
Captain America: Civil War
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Iron Man

Bottom 5:

Ant Man
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
Thor Dark World

My Top 5:

Captain America
Captain America Civil War
Dr. Strange
Guardians of the Galaxy
Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2

My Bottom 5:

Avengers Age of Ultron
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
Thor Dark World

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Best and Worst of the MCU [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I don't strongly disagree with your rankings, but, I tend to agree more with the averages you posted above.

I enjoyed Guardians, but, I don't think I could ever put them in the top 5. Plus, I think Antman was substantially worse than Age of Ultron.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't keep up with all of these. After seeing a few - I don't really care to.

To me, they're all the same: bad guy (gal)/good guy (gal) - some back story, some explosions, some wise cracks and funny references, a final battle that ends with the bad guy not getting what they want, the good guy saving the world but with a cliffhanger and hanging chads of plot.

Seen one, seen 'em all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still think Winter Soldier is the best movie of the bunch. May not be my favorite, but its the best overall movie.

My faves, in no particular order: Infinity War, Spider-man Homecoming, Guardians 1, Thor: Ragnarok, Avengers, Civil War.

Least interesting: Iron Man 2 and 3, Thor Dark World, Incredible Hulk.

Have not seen Ant Man and the Wasp or Captain Marvel yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Original Spiderman (Toby McGuire) was a good movie. After that, they went downhill.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont know about overall reviews. But my fav part of the MCU is Michael Pena's (in ant man) breakdowns of what is happening.
Quote Reply
Re: Best and Worst of the MCU [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, are we all in agreement that End Game needs to open with Pena recapping everything that happened in the first 21 movies?

Quote Reply
Re: Best and Worst of the MCU [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't expect anyone to rate GotG as high as I did. I am just following my "actions speak louder than words" rule and have realized that these are two movies that I watch over and over again because they are just so entertaining to me. I love the characters and I think the movies are funny.

I just found a lot of weaknesses in Ultron that bothered me. Weak script, bad CGI in a lot of parts, unconvincing love story between black widow and the hulk. However, I also recognize that people who are more into "epic" Marvel movies, this would probably rate much higher that Ant Man or Captain Marvel, both of which had a much more intimate, striped down, localized feel to them.

To each their own. Out of all of the movies, only Hulk and the 1st Thor I found almost not worth watching.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just recently watched them according to this site : https://thetvtraveler.com/...movies-through-2019/

It suggests watching them in this order:
  1. Captain America: The First Avenger – This movie essentially introduces the concept of superheroes and takes place decades before any other movie. Watch it first.
  2. Iron Man
  3. Iron Man 2
  4. The Incredible Hulk (could skip)
  5. Thor
  6. The Avengers
  7. Iron Man 3
  8. Thor: The Dark World
  9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  10. Guardians of the Galaxy
  11. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  12. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  13. Ant-Man
  14. Doctor Strange
  15. Captain America: Civil War
  16. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  17. Thor: Ragnarok
  18. Black Panther
  19. Avengers: Infinity War
  20. Ant-Man and the Wasp (could skip) – This movie takes place before Avengers: Infinity War, but you should watch it after because of the post-credits scene.
  21. Captain Marvel

I am up to ant man and the wasp. Not sure how I would rank them other than I didnt like the Thor movies of the Incredible Hulk. The rest were good with Captain America Civil War being my fav out of all of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
I wouldn't expect anyone to rate GotG as high as I did. I am just following my "actions speak louder than words" rule and have realized that these are two movies that I watch over and over again because they are just so entertaining to me. I love the characters and I think the movies are funny.

I just found a lot of weaknesses in Ultron that bothered me. Weak script, bad CGI in a lot of parts, unconvincing love story between black widow and the hulk. However, I also recognize that people who are more into "epic" Marvel movies, this would probably rate much higher that Ant Man or Captain Marvel, both of which had a much more intimate, striped down, localized feel to them.

To each their own. Out of all of the movies, only Hulk and the 1st Thor I found almost not worth watching.

It's hard for me to compare GotG to Captain America. The former is almost an action comedy while the latter is a full-blown action movie. But, then you have Thor trying to decide what it wants to be. The first one was so buttoned up while the last one inserted a great deal of comedy. I just couldn't take Antman seriously. Seemed like something that should or could have been made by Netflix. Certainly not "epic" like the others.

I agree with your comment regarding Ultron. Definitely my least favorite. Although the scene where Captain American nearly lifts Thor's hammer is a great scene.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultron succeeded in having some of the best jokes. ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another point.

I'm actually noticing that some movies hold up better for a second viewing than others. Avengers and Avengers Infinity war are two examples that didn't hold up as well. Plot lines for both of them were on the more average side compared to other MCU movies, but watching them for the first time on the big screen gave me a huge bon....uh, I mean, a huge adrenaline rush.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good list, I raise "Thor Ragnorak" and "Infinity War" up near top 5. I rate GofG-2 a bit lower, "Ultron" a little higher (not bottom 5). My bottom 5 (worst-first) are IronMan2, Thor2, Hulk, AntMan1, CaptainAmerica1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Another point.

I'm actually noticing that some movies hold up better for a second viewing than others. Avengers and Avengers Infinity war are two examples that didn't hold up as well. Plot lines for both of them were on the more average side compared to other MCU movies, but watching them for the first time on the big screen gave me a huge bon....uh, I mean, a huge adrenaline rush.

That's a good point. I have watched Captain America and Winter Soldier a couple times and enjoyed it. Not so much with others.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I liked Ant-Man, and the kids thought it was hilarious. I just like Paul Rudd though, so I may be biased.
Quote Reply
Re: Best and Worst of the MCU [jmcconne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmcconne wrote:
I liked Ant-Man, and the kids thought it was hilarious. I just like Paul Rudd though, so I may be biased.

Same here.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Best and Worst of the MCU [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Ant-Man and the sequel were fine movies, just targeted at a more family friendly audience. Yeah, they're a little formulaic. They're comic book movies. Get over it. They're not intended to be Oscar winning dramas (despite the mistaken attempts to get an Oscar for Black Panther by pandering to the social justice movement).

Overall, I'd probably list Civil War, Winter Soldier, Iron Man, Ragnarok, and maybe Avengers as the top five, in no particular order, and based mostly on potential for re-watching.

Impressive that Iron Man still stands up as one of the best.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply