Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bicyclist Killed on Long Island 3/17/19
Quote | Reply
https://patch.com/...ver-lie-service-road

I hesitated to post this, considering all the fear that seems to exist on ST for riding outside. I find it unfortunate that people give up the best (and original) part of our sport out of fear. I decided to post in case someone else came across the article and did not understand some of the details

David was a member of our club and road with us from Spring to Fall on most weekends. Yesterday was the club's "dust off" ride and David decided to go out earlier by himself. The rest of us started at noon after it had warmed up a little. Yesterday's weather at the time this happened would have been about 40 with a WNW wind at 15 mph, sunny and clear. The LIE service road is a 2 lane road with a 45 mph speed limit that has entrances to businesses on it. It has a very wide apron and is designated a NYS Bicycle Route, so he was supposed to be right were he was.

We all use Bontrager Flare-R tail lights and run them anytime we are riding. I wasn't there but I can safely assume that David had his running. He was an experienced bicyclist that understood riding in traffic as well as any of us. He did not take unnecessary risks, and verbally spanked any of use when we did something stupid. He will be missed.

We are all waiting on the police to catch the driver, and they will, guaranteed. I'm guessing it was either drunk or texting that got David, but time will tell.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Bicyclist Killed on Long Island 3/17/19 [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
https://patch.com/...ver-lie-service-road

I hesitated to post this, considering all the fear that seems to exist on ST for riding outside. I find it unfortunate that people give up the best (and original) part of our sport out of fear. I decided to post in case someone else came across the article and did not understand some of the details

David was a member of our club and road with us from Spring to Fall on most weekends. Yesterday was the club's "dust off" ride and David decided to go out earlier by himself. The rest of us started at noon after it had warmed up a little. Yesterday's weather at the time this happened would have been about 40 with a WNW wind at 15 mph, sunny and clear. The LIE service road is a 2 lane road with a 45 mph speed limit that has entrances to businesses on it. It has a very wide apron and is designated a NYS Bicycle Route, so he was supposed to be right were he was.

We all use Bontrager Flare-R tail lights and run them anytime we are riding. I wasn't there but I can safely assume that David had his running. He was an experienced bicyclist that understood riding in traffic as well as any of us. He did not take unnecessary risks, and verbally spanked any of use when we did something stupid. He will be missed.

We are all waiting on the police to catch the driver, and they will, guaranteed. I'm guessing it was either drunk or texting that got David, but time will tell.

This was definitely not fun to read this morning as I ride the service road a decent amount. Prayers for his friends and family and hopefully the driver is caught.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My condolences to you and David's family and friends. Hit and run drivers are pathetic and it is also pathetic the sentences given to most hit and run drivers by our judges and fellow citizens on juries. As I often do when I read about such collisions, I checked out Google maps. When I look at the South Service Road at Great Neck South High School, it appears to be a three-lane road. Google says the photos beside the HS were taken in June 2018. Am I looking at the wrong road?
Quote Reply
Re: Bicyclist Killed on Long Island 3/17/19 [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The LIE is an "interstate" type road with 5 lanes going each direction. The service roads run on either side and in most places are 2 lanes going the same direction, but there are many places where a third lane is added to either accept merging traffic onto the service road or let traffic moving to the main road merge. Based on the location given in the article it looks like there are 3 lanes at that location, so I was incorrect in my first post.

On a Sunday there should have been minimal traffic on that road at that location. It should have been very easy to see the rider and avoid him (or give him room).

On a "good to hear" note, the picture in that article is from the high school security camera, but the LIE is 100% covered in video by the NYSDOT in that area. I was told that they have the accident on video in crystal clear HD. I hope we never see it, but I also hope a judge and jury does get to see it. We are already making plans to show up to the arraignment. We have a Suffolk police officer and a family court judge in our club, as well as several lawyers.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My deepest condolences to your community for the loss. Honestly, I sincerely hope your club members are able to help throw the book at the murderer. My experience with family friends on LI is not comforting in the absolute least when it comes to cycling on the island. When i first read this all i could think was that the person who perpetrated this was going to cry on camera, be really sorry, and be back on the road in a few months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so very sorry to hear of this loss, I know you and the community must be hurting. Condolences to the family.

now to catch the SOB

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My condolences to you, your club and his family. I am also from Nassau County and work up on Jericho Tpke in Jericho, where many cyclists are cutting across from each side of the LIE service road (West Bound to East Bound), and have seen so many near misses. As a newer cyclist seeing the near misses keeps me on the CC bike trail or riding at SUNY OW for training rides and I know it's a shame because we have some really scenic roads up on the north shore that I should be taking advantage of. Fortunately for me I have a wife and two great kids that need me around, so if it means riding on a closed loop or indoors then that is the route I am going to take.
Quote Reply