Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New job! [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okanagan is nice, real estate isn't totally crazy, and it's big enough to keep my kids busy even as they become young adults.

I know several people already there. Funny enough, most of them are from Vancouver who cashed out their homes in the lower mainland.

My wife makes friends quickly and works in hospitality. She would do fine there.

The other position is in Trail.

Yeah, big changes are hard. Especially when you're thinking of others.
Quote Reply
Re: New job! [Ringmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate change, which is why we still live here. (that and my pension plan).

You're certainly not making rash decisions - I'm sure you and your family will adapt.
Quote Reply
Re: New job! [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

But seriously, if things don't change, things won't get better.

And as I don't have an offer in hand, I'm not going to worry about it now. I tend to over analyze things (I'm an engineer, remember) and rarely make rash decisions. Best to relax and enjoy the holidays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ringmaster wrote:
Minor updates:

So after a couple months of networking combined with formal applications (31 of them), I've made a bit of progress.

1. Interviewed with an engineering consulting firm several weeks ago. Didn't have the impression they were in a hurry and haven't heard back. Small project work, small firm (locally. Part of a bigger UK based firm).

2. Had a phone interview with a mining firm located in the West Kootneys, BC. Interesting work, but only a 2 year position. And as it's a short term, I wouldn't move my family. I'd rent a small apartment there and drive the 600km home every other week. They're flying me out for a second interview second week of January. They still haven't discussed pay, which I find odd.

3. Went through a video prescreen with a utilities provider in the Okanagan, BC. Followed my an actual video interview with HR and the project director a week later. They will be flying me out first week of January. This is a full time role and I'd move my family out after 6-12 months. Money is less than I'm used to, but it's secure and long term.

So while there don't be many presents under the tree again, at least things are looking up.

This looks encouraging. Many people have advice to give... but some advice I got from a recruiter years ago that has consistently worked well for me*

1. "Until you have something, you got nothing."
Good interviews, positive feedback, flights out for in-person discussion, etc. etc. don't mean @#$ until you have an offer. Don't ever count your chickens or ask for anything until you have the offer.

2. "Until you have an offer, you cause no problems, you have no issues."
Don't give the company a reason to reject you. If they ask you about relo to some barren wasteland, you don't say no (see you've just given them a reason). You can say you don't see that as a problem at the moment, or you'll consider it along w/family, etc. etc. You don't ask for anything at this point - otherwise that may be a problem or an issue, and they can reject you. If your comp demands are too high - that's another reason for them to cross you off the list. Any ask you may have could be a reason for them to say no. So don't ask. You have no issues.

3. "When you have an offer, they want you. Meaning you, specifically."
Now you can ask for stuff, i.e. negotiation. The whole point is that until you have an offer, they can reject you b/c of real or perceived problems or issues. If they've made you an offer then now you have some leverage to negotiate. That relo? would be hard to sell house, or hard for family, so are they ok w/you splitting time, or working remote, or have them pay for relo, etc. etc. Because they want you and they don't want to lose you now, they are more willing to accommodate your "issues". Same with salary. If it's low, now you can try to bump that up, or ask for sign on, or guaranteed bonus, or other aspects. Because they want you, they are more likely to give you this now.... vs. during pre-offer discussion. You have to do this carefully, politely, respectfully - in the context of considering their offer. Don't be a douche about asking for stuff. They may have a plan-b candidate, and tell you that. Even so, you're still the Plan-A.

4. "You make the decision". If any of the reasons don't work for you (relo, salary, other,) you can turn it down. If you're worried about losing it to candidate-B so you compromise, then that's still your call. All of this is entirely your call, as it should be, and a normal part of considering their offer.

* all of the above worked well for me. I'm ~3 months into a good, (i.e. great) role, after deciding to leave an also good situation. I'm in a "hot field" (data science) so there's lots of competition for roles, but the above advice worked really well.

Best of luck to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ringmaster wrote:
Minor updates:

So after a couple months of networking combined with formal applications (31 of them), I've made a bit of progress.

1. Interviewed with an engineering consulting firm several weeks ago. Didn't have the impression they were in a hurry and haven't heard back. Small project work, small firm (locally. Part of a bigger UK based firm).

2. Had a phone interview with a mining firm located in the West Kootneys, BC. Interesting work, but only a 2 year position. And as it's a short term, I wouldn't move my family. I'd rent a small apartment there and drive the 600km home every other week. They're flying me out for a second interview second week of January. They still haven't discussed pay, which I find odd.

3. Went through a video prescreen with a utilities provider in the Okanagan, BC. Followed my an actual video interview with HR and the project director a week later. They will be flying me out first week of January. This is a full time role and I'd move my family out after 6-12 months. Money is less than I'm used to, but it's secure and long term.

So while there don't be many presents under the tree again, at least things are looking up.

I just went to lunch Tuesday with a guy I worked with for around 20 years. He got cut here when an area was dissolved. It took him a bit but he landed a spot right as his severance from here was running out.

Best of luck and hope you find a spot you like. Looking for a job when you don't have one to fall back on sucks. You feel helpless and it is draining. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: New job! [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. All good advice and I completely agree.

I'm happy to simply have interest from potential employers. Definately not getting ahead of myself or over confident. Any considerations regarding relocating, pay etc I keep to myself and my family/friends.

I would never any make any "demands" before I have an offer in hand. I'm an engineer working on oil and gas projects in Alberta. If you are not aware, the oil and gas industry in Canada (Alberta specifically) is not doing well. Unemployment is high, development has slowed, and opportunities are limited. I've been laid off from 4 different firms in the last 6 years.

One of the potential employers concerns is that I'd return to oil and gas when the industry picks a up again. I think i may have alleviated their concerns, but it's still a factor and I didn't want to give them a reason to reconsider.
Quote Reply
Re: New job! [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Ringmaster wrote:
Minor updates:

I just went to lunch Tuesday with a guy I worked with for around 20 years. He got cut here when an area was dissolved. It took him a bit but he landed a spot right as his severance from here was running out.

Best of luck and hope you find a spot you like. Looking for a job when you don't have one to fall back on sucks. You feel helpless and it is draining. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I was only at my last firm for 8 months. Severance was only the legally required minimum and I'll exhaust those funds in January. Fortunately, it was a staff position (not contract) and I'm eligible for Employment Insurance. Received my first payment on Friday. It's enough to pay the mortgage and bills, but barely. And it only lasts a year. I know many people that have been out of work longer.
Quote Reply
Re: New job! [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ringmaster wrote:
Minor updates:

More updates:

Interview with the utilities provider went well last Tuesday. Got the call this morning and received the emailed offer shortly thereafter. Great opportunity. Stable, long term, and room to grow. I've verbally accepted the offer. Looks like I'm moving to Kelowna. :-)

However, I received the call as I was boarding the plane to my interview with the mining firm in the West Kootneys. So now I'm sitting in a hotel room in a small town, waiting for an interview for a job I know I won't take.

I'm tempted to have too many drinks tonight to celebrate, but that'll make for a long day tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ringmaster wrote:
Ringmaster wrote:
Minor updates:

Don't be juvenile. Never burn a bridge just to watch it burn.
More updates:

Interview with the utilities provider went well last Tuesday. Got the call this morning and received the emailed offer shortly thereafter. Great opportunity. Stable, long term, and room to grow. I've verbally accepted the offer. Looks like I'm moving to Kelowna. :-)

However, I received the call as I was boarding the plane to my interview with the mining firm in the West Kootneys. So now I'm sitting in a hotel room in a small town, waiting for an interview for a job I know I won't take.

I'm tempted to have too many drinks tonight to celebrate, but that'll make for a long day tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: New job! [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
throw out that redonk salary req for the 2 year gig :)
Quote Reply
Re: New job! [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How am I being juvenile?

I got on the plane, went to the West Kootneys, and will attend the interview tomorrow and conduct myself in my usual professional manner.

Should I have just stayed home as soon as I received the first offer?
Quote Reply
Re: New job! [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
throw out that redonk salary req for the 2 year gig :)

I might just do that to see what they say.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ringmaster wrote:
How am I being juvenile?

I got on the plane, went to the West Kootneys, and will attend the interview tomorrow and conduct myself in my usual professional manner.

Looks promising... Yes obviously, you should go into interview #2 and do everything ("cause no problems, present no issues") to get an offer.

Then you can decide what's best. And having a competing offer helps provide leverage in negotiations.

Let us know how things turn out.
Quote Reply
Re: New job! [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
Ringmaster wrote:
How am I being juvenile?

Looks promising... Yes obviously, you should go into interview #2 and do everything ("cause no problems, present no issues") to get an offer.

Then you can decide what's best. And having a competing offer helps provide leverage in negotiations.

Let us know how things turn out.

Interview #2 completed. It went well IMO. They'll be interviewing a couple more people so I won't hear back for a week or two.

However, I will be formally accepting the first offer regardless. It's simply a better position for me at this point in my career and life. It's permanent and not temp, in a better location for me and my family, a more senior position, and they're offering $25g in relocation.

And meanwhile, I'm stuck in a small town as my flight home was cancelled due to weather (this airport has a flight cancellation rate of ~ 50% in the winter).

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats!

Pm (for SBR) when ever you pass through Kamloops, we have a great group and lots of workouts throughout the spring/summer.

Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: New job! [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Congrats!

Pm (for SBR) when ever you pass through Kamloops, we have a great group and lots of workouts throughout the spring/summer.

Cheers,
Maurice

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good news, congrats!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: New job! [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yay!! Good luck with the move and getting the family settled. With the weather this week, Kelowna seems like a very sane option.
Quote Reply
Re: New job! [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
Yay!! Good luck with the move and getting the family settled. With the weather this week, Kelowna seems like a very sane option.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to the change.

Fortunately, I'm in castlegar at the moment where it's a balmy -10. Unfortunately, my flights keep getting cancelled due to cloud cover.
Quote Reply

Prev Next