Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Raid on North Korea's Embassy in Madrid
Quote | Reply
Some interesting stuff here.

The CIA denies involvement.

Quote:
Days before President Trump was set to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Vietnam, a mysterious incident in Spain threatened to derail the entire high-stakes nuclear summit.
In broad daylight, masked assailants infiltrated North Korea’s Embassy in Madrid, restrained the staff with rope, stole computers and mobile phones, and fled the scene in two luxury vehicles.
The group behind the late February operation is known as Cheollima Civil Defense, a secretive dissident organization committed to overthrowing the Kim dynasty, people familiar with the planning and execution of the mission told The Washington Post.
The group’s alleged role in the attack has not previously been reported, and officials from the governments of North Korea, the United States, and Spain declined to comment on it.
But in recent days, rumors have swirled about the motivations behind the attack in the Spanish media, including a report in El Pais alleging that two of the masked assailants have ties to the CIA.
People familiar with the incident say the group did not act in coordination with any governments. American intelligence agencies would have been especially reluctant to do so given the sensitive timing and brazen nature of the mission. But the raid represents the most ambitious operation to date for an obscure organization that seeks to undermine the North Korean regime and encourage mass defections, they say.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Raid on North Korea's Embassy in Madrid [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit surprised this kind of thing hasn't happened before to NK embassies, unless they (the NK's) never reported it until now. They are awful secretive and never willing to display any weakness.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Raid on North Korea's Embassy in Madrid [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This always brings up the very tricky question of what happens after the failure of the current regime. China is a huge problem. China is not going to let South Korea much less U.S. troops to their southern border. South Korea, Japan, and the U.S. wants no part of China down to the DMZ. There is no North Korean power structure ready to take over if the Kim regime falls other than possibly the North Korean military. These are WWIII-grade problems.

The only thing I can see maybe working is a pure military coup where everyone lets North Korea stay a distinct state with the same borders. That's why I'd be surprised if the U.S. is behind a shadowy resistance. The far better solution seems to be the recruitment of North Korean generals. But from what I've read the Kim regime does an excellent job of preventing generals from organizing. There are Party officials with more official status monitoring them closely.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 15, 19 17:04
Quote Reply