Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Court rules gun maker can be sued over shooting
Quote | Reply
Does this means I can sue a car manufacturer if I get hit by a drunk driver?
https://www.cnbc.com/...ewtown-shooting.html
Quote Reply
Re: Court rules gun maker can be sued over shooting [Art M.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a really bad precedent to set. Hopefully the plaintiffs lose either at trial or on appeal.
Quote Reply
Re: Court rules gun maker can be sued over shooting [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't comment if I agree without seeing the marketing.

I don't equate it to suing a car maker over a drunk driving accident. I equate it to suing cig companies over youth smoking.

Like the cigs, there was a perfectly legal and rightful usage of cigs by certain people. But, the marketing was deemed to (in someone's opinions) to draw in youth.

If I had to guess, that would maybe be the angle.

But again, I can't say if I agree with the ruling without seeing the evidence.

I will say, I'm pretty disturbed by some of the gun magazines for sale at Tractor Supply checkout counters. Basically almost like "urban sniping 101" and "urban warfare 101" on the cover and articles. Really weird messed up stuff versus what I grew up with, which was seeing buck and boar articles on those kind of magazines.

There IS a perverse subset of owners into the whole "armchair warrior" kind of thing. Almost like they fantasize about it.

I had a cell phone picture of the magazine once, I sent it to a friend, but can't find it right now.
Quote Reply
Re: Court rules gun maker can be sued over shooting [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Urban warefare is what you'll need when the Gubment goes rogue and comes after you.

You've already lost.

Sad.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Court rules gun maker can be sued over shooting [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So this may be a stretch, but of course it is the LR. But what about suing a city or state because of their sanctuary status. Marketing that brings in illegals that happens to murder your family member?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gotta blame someone...

sports cars are marketed to go fast.. so if I speed and kill myself or someone else ?
Quote Reply
Re: Court rules gun maker can be sued over shooting [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

I don't equate it to suing a car maker over a drunk driving accident. I equate it to suing cig companies over youth smoking.

Like the cigs, there was a perfectly legal and rightful usage of cigs by certain people. But, the marketing was deemed to (in someone's opinions) to draw in youth.

I will say, I'm pretty disturbed by some of the gun magazines for sale at Tractor Supply checkout counters. Basically almost like "urban sniping 101" and "urban warfare 101" on the cover and articles. Really weird messed up stuff versus what I grew up with, which was seeing buck and boar articles on those kind of magazines.

There IS a perverse subset of owners into the whole "armchair warrior" kind of thing. Almost like they fantasize about it.

I had a cell phone picture of the magazine once, I sent it to a friend, but can't find it right now.

How can they say they marketed the gun to Lanza. His mom bought it not him. And he killed her and took the gun. And the shooting was because his mom "loved" her students more than him. Does not sound like it had anything to do with any supposed marketing towards youth. Wouldn't you have to establish actual causation to win? Not just that it might lead to some other kid killing some other people?
Quote Reply
Re: Court rules gun maker can be sued over shooting [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
gotta blame someone...

sports cars are marketed to go fast.. so if I speed and kill myself or someone else ?

That was the first analogy that popped to mind
Quote Reply
Re: Court rules gun maker can be sued over shooting [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

How can they say they marketed the gun to Lanza. His mom bought it not him. And he killed her and took the gun. And the shooting was because his mom "loved" her students more than him. Does not sound like it had anything to do with any supposed marketing towards youth. Wouldn't you have to establish actual causation to win? Not just that it might lead to some other kid killing some other people?

Immaterial to the fact they are being sued foe their marketing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
patf wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

So it is not a wrongful death suit? How can you sue someone for their marketing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
windywave wrote:
patf wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

So it is not a wrongful death suit? How can you sue someone for their marketing?

Suing under unfair trade practices for promoting the rifle as a combat weapon intended for killing human beings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
windywave wrote:
patf wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

"Specifically, if the defendants did indeed seek to expand the market for their assault weapons through advertising campaigns that encouraged consumers to use the weapons not for legal purposes such as self-defense, hunting, collecting, or target practice, but to launch offensive assaults against their perceived enemies, then we are aware of nothing in the text or legislative history of PLCAA to indicate that Congress intended to shield the defendants from liability for the tragedy that resulted,” [Conn. Supreme Court Justice Richard] Palmer wrote.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Art M. wrote:

No. But you're still free to post stupid questions. But let's put it this way, if an auto manufacturer marketed a vehicle with self-driving capabilities with some slogan like, "Just the car for when you've had a few too many," then I suspect you'd have a case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
This is a really bad precedent to set. Hopefully the plaintiffs lose either at trial or on appeal.

Would your opinion change if rather than, "you've just had your man card reissued," one of the marketing slogans was "for when those school kids get on your nerves?" And who do you want drawing that line, a judge or a jury?

I'm perfectly fine with judges making a decision up to a point, as the risk with juries is that they'll take into consideration irrelevant factors despite the jury instructions. And from the little I've seen about this marketing campaign, I think the matter should have stayed on the judge side of that line. But I also believe that in egregious cases, manufacturer's should be responsible for the foreseeable impacts that their marketing may have on how a product is used.
Quote Reply
Re: Court rules gun maker can be sued over shooting [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
Art M. wrote:

No. But you're still free to post stupid questions. But let's put it this way, if an auto manufacturer marketed a vehicle with self-driving capabilities with some slogan like, "Just the car for when you've had a few too many," then I suspect you'd have a case.

How about we consider a more realistic situation. When are the energy drink companies going to be sued out of existence?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Art M. wrote:

Yes. Assuming the car was designed and engineered kill people.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Court rules gun maker can be sued over shooting [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
Art M. wrote:

Yes. Assuming the car was designed and engineered kill people.

That's missing the point.

The point isn't the whole "guns don't kill people, people do".

The point is that the gun industry has (in someone's opinion) an advertising style similar to the tobacco industry. We know how that turned out. I think that's where this is going.

The "grab all the guns" crowd and the "they're coming for all our guns" crowd will be at each other. The reality is more like they can still make and sell whatever and no new laws, but you just can't advertise like you're selling some kind of sicko "urban revolutionary" lifestyle to sell your product.
Quote Reply