Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hello and a question about budget wheels
Quote | Reply
Hi all. I'm completely new to the TT scene and I'm after a bit of advice. I've just built myself a Felt S22 and I'm in need of set of wheels. I was looking at the Selcof 86mm carbon but wasn't too sure if there's any better options out there for me. The routes I plan on taking are going to mainly flat. Here's the link https://www.planetx.co.uk/...on-clincher-wheelset

Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Hello and a question about budget wheels [MrWings] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flo
Quote Reply
Re: Hello and a question about budget wheels [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like they're US based? I'm in the UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure they won't fall apart under you or anything, but I wouldn't ride a budget carbon rim. There are just too many variables involved with making a brake track that stops well in any condition and is structurally sound. If I were you I'd try and find something like a used HED jet front wheel and a disc cover. In the meantime, you'll be able to tt just fine on whatever wheels you have stock
Quote Reply
Re: Hello and a question about budget wheels [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the HED recommendation. You really can’t find a wheel that is much faster than a Jet +. An aluminum rim is the simplest choice and since it supposedly rains a lot on your U.K. TTs, you will be much happier. Budget carbon wheels, and even some very expensive one, don’t stop well in wet conditions.

A used set of the original SwissSide wheels with the aluminum rim is also a solid choice. Bontrgaer Aeolus Comps are the budget kings at under 600$ new and plentiful on EBay as take-offs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to put a point in for the truly budget wheel option but with the disclaimer that they're certainly not for everyone.

I paid $380 for a pair of 88mm deep carbon clinchers that I've been racing on for 2 years. Might not be the fastest but it certainly doesn't seem like they've slowed me down. They're braking leaves something to be desired but I've also never crashed because of the brakes as well so I don't really have any complaints.

Unpopular opinion but hey that's my 2c!

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrWings wrote:
Looks like they're US based? I'm in the UK

Planetx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrWings wrote:
Hi all. I'm completely new to the TT scene and I'm after a bit of advice. I've just built myself a Felt S22 and I'm in need of set of wheels. I was looking at the Selcof 86mm carbon but wasn't too sure if there's any better options out there for me. The routes I plan on taking are going to mainly flat. Here's the link https://www.planetx.co.uk/...on-clincher-wheelset

Thank you

I realize you are in the UK so I am not sure what you can get over there. I know PlanetX is an obvious choice. I don't think you want a 86mm but that is just me. I would want a shallower front. My personal recommendation as the best value wheel set in triathlon is the HED JET 6+ which can often be bought here in the US for $700-1100. I wrote about all the reasons why in a old post, best cheap aero wheelset

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My n=1...my race bike is on a pair of full carbon Farsports. Limited training time, all racing - maybe 300 miles? Bulletproof. Seem fast, handle well. Maybe a used set from a domestic company would be better, but I can't see that from my limited experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Hello and a question about budget wheels [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
I'm sure they won't fall apart under you or anything, but I wouldn't ride a budget carbon rim. There are just too many variables involved with making a brake track that stops well in any condition and is structurally sound. If I were you I'd try and find something like a used HED jet front wheel and a disc cover. In the meantime, you'll be able to tt just fine on whatever wheels you have stock

This.

A HED Jet 6 plus front will likely be just as, if not more aero, has a much wider internal allowing you to run tires at lower pressure, and aluminum braking surface will be superior to anything carbon. A disc cover in the rear will be faster, and be more stable. A covered rear wheel might be a touch heavy, but since the OP is looking for use on flat courses, it won't matter.
Quote Reply