Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sleeved v non sleeved tri suit
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

Looking at getting a new suit, and wondered the following (couldn’t find the info I was after on the net so trust this forum has the goods):
- are sleeved suits actually faster? I remember reading somewhere if wrinkled at the shoulders, it negates any aero advantage?
- why do you have sleeves or no sleeves?
- is it just “in vogue” to have sleeves these days?

To be honest, I raced in sleeves 10 years ago, and since then have gone non sleeves. But not having raced for a few years, understand that suit material has changed, as too the fit of suits.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved v non sleeved tri suit [TakeYourTime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rules changed a couple years ago to allow sleeved suits. Everything I read here and a few other places (I have no clue where the links are now) said that sleeved was faster in the water and on the bike. I got a sleeved suit for my first tri suit. I am about to buy a new one, and I will continue with sleeved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beyond the possible aero benefits, the real main reason I use a sleeved suit or top is for sun protection.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one sleeveless black 2xu suit that fits great. I’ve worn it once in 2017, and wished it had sleeves. With the additional skin exposure on the shoulders and arms I just can’t bring myself to wear it again in competition. Sleeved suits are more aero on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s going to be highly individual and depend on each suit as well. But I find being a bit broader than most triathletes sleeved suits are restricting. That’s just me though. So I either go two piece or sleeveless. Plus I’ve got some sweet tats.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved v non sleeved tri suit [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Beyond the possible aero benefits, the real main reason I use a sleeved suit or top is for sun protection.
This is huge too; I totally forgot. My first HIM I was in a 2-piece with a sleeveless top. My shoulders got torched and upper arms. Sleeves make a huge difference in sun protection.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been wearing sleeved suits since they were a think back in like 2015 (?). Worn LG, Wattie Ink, an currently in OwnWay suit. I have not been tested but everything out there says they are faster if they fit well. The OwnWay suit I have is a small (6 ft, 160ish) and was able to wear it on the swim without any restriction which I could not do with the Wattie Ink or LG. But like others have said it has a lot more skin protection as well. If you are worried about restriction on the swim I found the LG and Wattie Ink fairly easy to get up and zipped while running to T1.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply