Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Boston marathon and patella tendinitis
Quote | Reply
Hi all. Was Just diagnosed with patella tendinitis. Got a cortisone shot. Told No running till Friday and then starting with 5 miles and seeing how it goes. I’m scheduled to race Boston. Do I have any shot of maintaining my fitness (was doing 60-70mpw and had a very strong base going into training) and running Boston with at least a week off and possibly maintaining low mileage for another week or is it an unrealistic goal. Sometime we just need to be told by others what we already know. Lol. Been doing PT for a week now also, going on 2 weeks. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston marathon and patella tendinitis [lmb326] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will be more than fine.....Take it easy and let it heal!!! you have PLENTY of fitness going in and now is just the time to heal up. I am recovering from a torn meniscus, so I have had plenty of time to think about stuff like this and how we think a few days off will crush us and it won't. I had to cancel my hotel for Boston as I just need this meniscus to heal, so I would be appreciative of the fact you will only need a little bit of rest to let it heal up....you will be fine
Quote Reply
Re: Boston marathon and patella tendinitis [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man sorry to hear that. Hope your recovery goes smoothly. And I appreciate your encouraging words. Not going to let a week of rest get me down!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about the diagnosis, sucks I know.

I’ve been dealing with posterior tibial tendinitis since January and I’m also running Boston. Having taken time off and having to rebuild slowly has given me time to reframe what a successful race day will mean. Injuries suck, but they happen. Keep up the positive thoughts, focus on healing, and just be realistic on your expectations within the things you can control.

Good luck in April!
Last edited by: twheat18: Mar 11, 19 13:21
Quote Reply
Re: Boston marathon and patella tendinitis [twheat18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Was just having the discussion with my husband about what to expect on race day and what would be successful day. I need to not look at it as a race, but as a run and try to enjoy myself. That isn't easy ... my mentality is to always race. lol

How much time did you take off? Are you back to running?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was 100% off running for 4 weeks (all of January) and then very slow build up and just recently feel like I’m back to relatively normal volume. I’m still going to PT once a week and I decided to begin working with a coach to help me safely build back up. I spent a lot of time on the bike during the weeks I wasn’t running to try and keep fitness up the best I could. I was honestly really worried about race day even just a couple weeks ago but it’s starting to feel like it’s going to be OK. Enjoy the day for what it is, be realistic about the cards you’ve been dealt this go around and have the best race you think you can, whatever that may mean.

Good luck, I think based on what you described you will be just fine!
Quote Reply
Re: Boston marathon and patella tendinitis [twheat18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm dealing with PTT right now. What did you do to clear it?

On topic, I'm in the same boat with PTT and plan to run Boston. I'm still injured but it felt good enough to start training again and I'm back up to about 40 miles a week and a 10 mile long run. No idea where I'll be come race day but just going to go with the flow. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst (or mediocre).
Quote Reply
Re: Boston marathon and patella tendinitis [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FuzzyRunner wrote:
Don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm dealing with PTT right now. What did you do to clear it?

I’ll shoot you a PM later tonight. Don’t want to muddy up OP’s thread.
Quote Reply