Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Misleading headline of the day [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
I know what they are and I know that they don't really hurt the seals other than a little ear ringing.

Based on how fast they bug out when a seal bomb hits the water, I suspect it's more than just a little ear ringing. I suppose it all depends on how far away the bomb is when it goes off.

"A single accidental human death has also been recorded and retrospectively studied; a swimmer was killed when a bomb—containing 3.0g of explosive charge—exploded within 0.3 meters of his body. The explosion “ruptured both eardrums, herniated brain tissue through ruptured areas in the cribriform plates, fractured cranial bones including the wings of the sphenoid and the left petrosal, and caused a 1.5-cm-deep wound above the scapula”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if headline read 'bomb' instead of explosive I'd agree with you, but explosive seems about right. What term would you suggest considering few people have ever heard of a bear banger
Quote Reply
Re: Misleading headline of the day [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
BLeP wrote:
I know what they are and I know that they don't really hurt the seals other than a little ear ringing.

Based on how fast they bug out when a seal bomb hits the water, I suspect it's more than just a little ear ringing. I suppose it all depends on how far away the bomb is when it goes off.

"A single accidental human death has also been recorded and retrospectively studied; a swimmer was killed when a bomb—containing 3.0g of explosive charge—exploded within 0.3 meters of his body. The explosion “ruptured both eardrums, herniated brain tissue through ruptured areas in the cribriform plates, fractured cranial bones including the wings of the sphenoid and the left petrosal, and caused a 1.5-cm-deep wound above the scapula”

An m-80 has about 3 grams of powder. These seem nowhere near that powerful
Quote Reply
Re: Misleading headline of the day [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Firecracker.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Misleading headline of the day [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Video of B.C. fisherman throwing explosive into crowd of sea lions sparks controversy

https://www.cbc.ca/...ontroversy-1.5048094

Calling a bear banger an explosive is kind of like calling a paintball gun a firearm.

Both are technically true but both are purposely trying to mislead the reader.

A paintball gun is a pneumatic weapon not a firearm

The googlatrix told me that it’s considerwd a firearm in Canada. Searched before I posted. Of course I took the first website I read as gospel so take that for what it’s worth.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Misleading headline of the day [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
eb wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Eh, I'm no expert but they're not far off of an M-80 in my limited experience.

Quick search results:
"(c) "Seal bomb" means underwater firecrackers available domestically, similar to "M-80" firecrackers and contain approximately 2.3 grams of "flash and sound" charge mixture in a sealed cardboard tube, fitted with an eight to nine second waterproof fuse. UN0471 Class 1.4E explosives or NA0412 Class 1.4E explosive."

"The seal bombs used in this study had a charge weight of 2.33 g flash powder using a standard formulation of about 64.0% potassium perchlorate (KClO4) as the oxidizer and a fuel of 25% aluminum powder and 10% sulfur (personal communications M. Stonebraker, Stoneco Energetics Systems). This charge weight is similar to common M-80 salutes."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Video of B.C. fisherman throwing explosive into crowd of sea lions sparks controversy

https://www.cbc.ca/...ontroversy-1.5048094

Calling a bear banger an explosive is kind of like calling a paintball gun a firearm.

Both are technically true but both are purposely trying to mislead the reader.

A paintball gun is a pneumatic weapon not a firearm

The googlatrix told me that it’s considerwd a firearm in Canada. Searched before I posted. Of course I took the first website I read as gospel so take that for what it’s worth.

This whole post just makes Canada look bad. Either you live in an ass backwards place that considers a toy something you yell "Wolverines with" or you lack Google Fu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Misleading headline of the day [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
eb wrote:
BLeP wrote:

There are two main reasons explosions under water are so deadly. The first is that water is basically incomprehensible, so energy of the explosion compresses your body much more efficiently than one in air, since it doesn't waste energy compressing air. The second is how waves react to changes in density. An explosion in air will be reflected when it encounters something of higher density (like most of your body), but will compress some of the less dense gas filled parts of your body. A blast wave moving through water is the same, but will only be reflected well by something denser than water, so the wave will move through much more of your body and compress the gas filled chambers even more.

Even a small explosion under water is very dangerous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sea Lion was just politely asking questions.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Misleading headline of the day [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I safer way to experience the water hammer effect used in blasting is to clack 2 large rocks together underwater. You get an idea of how the "compression" waves travel. The wave is just higher velocity particles.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

There are two main reasons explosions under water are so deadly. The first is that water is basically incomprehensible, so energy of the explosion compresses your body much more efficiently than one in air, since it doesn't waste energy compressing air. The second is how waves react to changes in density. An explosion in air will be reflected when it encounters something of higher density (like most of your body), but will compress some of the less dense gas filled parts of your body. A blast wave moving through water is the same, but will only be reflected well by something denser than water, so the wave will move through much more of your body and compress the gas filled chambers even more.

Even a small explosion under water is very dangerous.[/quote]

And thought I understood water pretty well.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Misleading headline of the day [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TiDriver wrote:

Even a small explosion under water is very dangerous.

And thought I understood water pretty well.[/quote]
Chappy is full of useless knowledge.
Quote Reply
Re: Misleading headline of the day [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps, but the issue isn't the quality of the information (he or she is right), it's the use of the bolded word, which is not a property of water.

Quote Reply
Re: Misleading headline of the day [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TiDriver wrote:
Perhaps, but the issue isn't the quality of the information (he or she is right), it's the use of the bolded word, which is not a property of water.

I meant incompressible, but auto correct. In fairness, the behavior of water is hard to comprehend, it does all sorts of weird things. Just look at this thread and the people that don't understand the danger of explosions in water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe that's why they said "sparks" instead of some word for a bigger fire ;-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Figured it might be an autocorrect kinda thing 'cause you were spot on in your assessment. And you're right - water has an astounding range of properties.

Quote Reply
Re: Misleading headline of the day [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
In Alaska those are called seal bombs. And commercial fishermen use them quite a bit. I'm not sure about the legality, because of marine mammals being protected and all that.

That said, I can tell you from personal experience that when you have a salmon hooked and a sea lion shows up to steal it (which they do), a seal bomb tossed in the water will cause them to leave with remarkable speed. It's the equivalent of a large firecracker and I'm sure it's pretty rough on the ears when it goes off underwater.

Do you know if that works for bottlenose dolphins that are trying to steal red snapper off of your line? Asking for a friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah. I don’t understand water either.
Quote Reply
Re: Misleading headline of the day [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
eb wrote:
In Alaska those are called seal bombs. And commercial fishermen use them quite a bit. I'm not sure about the legality, because of marine mammals being protected and all that.

That said, I can tell you from personal experience that when you have a salmon hooked and a sea lion shows up to steal it (which they do), a seal bomb tossed in the water will cause them to leave with remarkable speed. It's the equivalent of a large firecracker and I'm sure it's pretty rough on the ears when it goes off underwater.

Do you know if that works for bottlenose dolphins that are trying to steal red snapper off of your line? Asking for a friend.

I dunno. Cetaceans are pretty smart. Your situation reminds me of this:
https://www.seattletimes.com/...f-black-cod-harvest/

"Sometimes, only the lips remain on the hooks." LOL.
Quote Reply

Prev Next