Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Leg Pain
Quote | Reply
I am experience a leg pain that very much reminds me of shin splints. Part of the pain starts in the front just to the outside of the shinbone similar to shin splints, but I have more pain radiating through my ankle into my foot. I don't think this was running related given I am not focusing on that now. I have shifted my rides from long and flat to long and hilly. I am wondering what is going on. I know I pull more consciously when doing hill work. Any ideas of what could be happening?

Quote:
"Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit."

Saddlesore Wink

Quote Reply
Re: Leg Pain [Saddlesore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you have developed a repetitive strain injury. Your best bet is to go to www.julstro.com and post on their forum (authors of The Pain-Free Triathlete). They work closely with triathletes who develop these kinds of injuries.

What may be happening is that your muscles are either going into spasm, or simply shortening up, due to your bike work. If you think about it, the muscles of the leg are quite confined in their range of motion when doing hours of peddling. The shortening of the muscle, combined with the lactic acid build-up also causes pulling on the tendons that attach at the ankle or foot. That is why you will also feel pain there. I developed quite a case of Achilles Tendonitis from biking, but when on the bike, was about the only time it didn't bother me. The pain was in the heel. The problem was in my calf muscles. The web site mentioned above gives a good explanation of this in their "muscles and pain" section.

I think you will find your answer there. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What side of the tibia is the pain on? Inside or outside of the leg? What part of the foot/ankle does the pain radiate through? When do you get the pain? Cycling or running? Does it get worse during the course of exercise, or get better when you warm-up?

You've got to give the "I wish I were a Dr" or "Oh, Ive had that one" community more to work with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind your bike fit, even the pedal settings can have a major inpact on your body's mechanics. Do something a bit too strenuous over and over again, and you will develop the repetitive strain injury mentioned above. So you may have to change up your bike config along with getting some bodywork (physi/massage/etc.) done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ditto on the www.julstro.com advice from Train Wreck. He gave me the same advice when my shins started killing me. I followed it, and now I'm pain-free. Good stuff.
Quote Reply