Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

More good news on coal
Quote | Reply
We're all aware that certain people 'love' coal because... because... I think its because it gets them big blocks of votes in swing states and its the opposite of what certain Kenyans liked.
Now the EPA is reporting that, "Of 265 US power plants that monitor groundwater, 242 report unsafe levels of at least one pollutant derived from coal ash".
https://www.theguardian.com/...ater-toxins-analysis.
Once the lawsuits start rolling in the utilities and states will loose any appetite for coal no matter how cheap or plentiful it's up-front cost seems. Besides the lawsuits - remediation of a coal ash site, and its groundwater is extremely difficult and VERY expensive. Decent sized projects will run hundreds of millions of dollars (construction of properly engineered & lined landfills, the remediation itself, cap & close, leachate management, groundwater pump & treat. ongoing monitoring and management, etc.).

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: More good news on coal [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I give the current Dem governor in NC the win in that last election solely thanks to coal ash.

A lot of right leaning areas had negative interactions with coal ash leading up to that election and I feel helped drive the win.

They were disgusted by McCrory and his ties to the energy groups and the coal ash. They probably would have easily voted for him if they hadn't have been directly impacted by the pollution.

It's sad, but this kind of pollution usually is in rural areas and rivers serving rural areas that probably tend to lean quite a bit to the right. The same ones being told to advocate for coal.

Similar with the fracking also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought coal was going to MAGA?

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: More good news on coal [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
It's sad, but this kind of pollution usually is in rural areas and rivers serving rural areas that probably tend to lean quite a bit to the right.... Similar with the fracking also.

Its worse than rivers - the pollution is in groundwater aquifers. Some of which take generations to flush through. And with this coal ashes full of DNAPLs (dense non-aqueous phase liquid) the contaminants could be there effectively for ever.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you hate the 130,000 American households that use coal for fuel?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Natural gas is killing coal on price. More coal-fired plants shut down in Trump's first 2 years than in Obama's first term. Why anyone would want to live near a coal-fired plant is beyond me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let the free market decide. If people don't want coal, they'll stop using electricity. If they don't want polluted drinking water, they'll buy bottled water. If they don't want expensive cancer drugs, they'll just die.

It'll be a win win for everyone.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: More good news on coal [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
Natural gas is killing coal on price. More coal-fired plants shut down in Trump's first 2 years than in Obama's first term. Why anyone would want to live near a coal-fired plant is beyond me.

If I had to choose, I would live near a modern nuclear reactor. If we just replaced our old reactors with new ones, we would have more power, much higher safety, less nuclear waste and far less pollution.
Quote Reply
Re: More good news on coal [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Let the free market decide. If people don't want coal, they'll stop using electricity. If they don't want polluted drinking water, they'll buy bottled water. If they don't want expensive cancer drugs, they'll just die. It'll be a win win for everyone.

Clearly your statement is facetious. Its reductio ad absurdum statements illustrate how the free market fails in some cases. For example - The people who get the benefit of 'cheap' electricity from coal may live far from the places where the coal is dug, burned and disposed of. The poor suckers who want nothing to do with it, get to live with the consequences.

Quote Reply