Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Replacing an old school SRM (soldered) battery. Questions for the experienced.
Quote | Reply

About 2-3 years ago I changed out the battery in my DA wireless SRM after is appeared to be dead flat. It was hit and miss as to whether it was being detected. A colleague fitted it to his bike and couldn't get it to detect. Not long after that the bike went into hibernation for some time. I don't think a magnet was fitted after that so I don't think there was anything to wake it up.

Fast forward to now when I want to start using it again. I figured it would be dead. I opened it up per above pic and put a volt meter onto it. It's reading around 3.5V at the battery terminals and at the circuit board where the battery terminals connect. Over at the sensors (wired to the outer cap) the circuit board at the base of the green wires is reading around 1.7V but there appears to zero voltage where the blue wires connect to the circuit board. I've been swiping a typical bike magnet back and forth across the cap where the green wires meet the cap, but nothing is pairing on the vintage Edge 705.

I don't really know the ins and outs of the SRM (what the blue and green pairs of wires represent) and in particular what sort of voltage should be reported at those locations. Before I go down the path of disconnecting the battery and soldering in a new one I thought I'd check first as to whether there's something else I should check/try first.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing an old school SRM (soldered) battery. Questions for the experienced. [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know nothing about those but if the battery is a 5 v. Battery and only reading 3.5v that is probably your problem. Replace it.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing an old school SRM (soldered) battery. Questions for the experienced. [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pic may not be clear but that’s a 3.5v 750 maH battery
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing an old school SRM (soldered) battery. Questions for the experienced. [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s an older version than mine but it looks like the green wires are connected to a reed switch which should close when a magnet is moved near the switch. The voltage across the green wires should change when the magnet is passed over the switch.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing an old school SRM (soldered) battery. Questions for the experienced. [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
That’s an older version than mine but it looks like the green wires are connected to a reed switch which should close when a magnet is moved near the switch. The voltage across the green wires should change when the magnet is passed over the switch.

That's an interesting thing to check (voltage delta when magnet passes) so will check tomorrow after my ride. Thanks.
Quote Reply