Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ZWIFT RACING, what am I doing wrong? (rant) [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
It’s fun to check someone’s Strava that’s open after a Zwift race. Lotta guys pulling 6w/kg on Zwift that can’t climb worth shit in the real outdoors.

Also too many variable to take racing on Zwift serious, such as WiFi signal strength, Internet speed, have all trainers been properly calibrated, does everybody have the correct weight in. Use races for good workout.
Quote Reply
Re: ZWIFT RACING, what am I doing wrong? (rant) [devolikewhoa83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devolikewhoa83 wrote:
Out of curiosity, what are the things that you see? Unrealistic W/KG? And what do you consider unrealistic in the context of a short race? .

I love zwift racing, created a significant positive step change in my already fairly strong cycling.

But what amuses me when I look at the results on zwiftpower after is the distribution of weights is way different to what I see on my group rides and races. The mean weight is 60kg and everyone is 5ft 2". Now as a 6ft4 88kg guy I'm used to, and enjoy mixing it in real life with people shorter and lighter than me on climbs, then making them cry on the flats. So it's great training for me, indeed better because of this.

Oh and then you see the odd other Clydesdale in the mix, totally smashing out epic power which is great to see.
Quote Reply
Re: ZWIFT RACING, what am I doing wrong? (rant) [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I couldn't find a more specific topic but since this one features a lot of info on Zwift racing, I thought I'd ask my question here instead of starting a new topic.

Have any of you raced TT's on Zwift and if so, how do you do them?
I was supposed to do a 42km TT this weekend but ofcourse with the virus going on, it was cancelled so I registered for my first Zwift TT (31.7km) and 3rd Zwift race after doing ok in 2 regular races (Cat A). But I'm doubting a bit whether I should do the TT on the hoods/in the drops or in my actual TT position. In my last Zwift race I was able to put out 294W (4.5W/kg) for half an hour but I'm pretty sure I can't pull that off in the TT position (especially on the trainer), and the race is likely going to last 40-45'. Zwift only looks at W/kg and takes a fixed CdA for my length and weight, so ofcourse on the hoods I'll have a better result..

From a personal perspective it might make sense to do it in the TT position since it's a TT, but I'd also like to do well and I'll likely have burning quads after 15-20' at those wattages while I could do more or atleast for longer on the hoods. And my guess is that most people do them on the hoods anyway for the same reasons..
Quote Reply
Re: ZWIFT RACING, what am I doing wrong? (rant) [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want to most replicate the event you missed in the real world do it in aero. If you want to do the best you can in the Zwift event do it on the hoods. Only you can answer which is more important to you.

I’m not a TTer I’m a road racer and I race on Zwift completely different then if I’m in the real world. Up on the hoods in a comfortable position, bottles on table next to me, comfortable clothing, all things I’d never do or could do in a race.

Just pick one and if you do another TT on Zwift after this one, just use the same so you can judge your performance the same.
Quote Reply
Re: ZWIFT RACING, what am I doing wrong? (rant) [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plifter242 wrote:
If you want to most replicate the event you missed in the real world do it in aero. If you want to do the best you can in the Zwift event do it on the hoods. Only you can answer which is more important to you.

I’m not a TTer I’m a road racer and I race on Zwift completely different then if I’m in the real world. Up on the hoods in a comfortable position, bottles on table next to me, comfortable clothing, all things I’d never do or could do in a race.

Just pick one and if you do another TT on Zwift after this one, just use the same so you can judge your performance the same.

unfortunately, all of this

having a large frontal area just isn't penalized on Zwift, so no reason not to "race" on the hoods while on Zwift. I also have bottles on a table next to me, and three fans going, when I'm really churning.

While on the topic of bottles, one funny thing is that it usually takes me 1.5 hours to consume 1.5 L of liquid (even in really hot conditions), but I easily consume that much (and then some) when doing indoor racing about one hour in duration.

Tri_Joeri wrote:
I couldn't find a more specific topic but since this one features a lot of info on Zwift racing, I thought I'd ask my question here instead of starting a new topic.
I was supposed to do a 42km TT this weekend but ofcourse with the virus going on, it was cancelled so I registered for my first Zwift TT (31.7km) and 3rd Zwift race after doing ok in 2 regular races (Cat A). But I'm doubting a bit whether I should do the TT on the hoods/in the drops or in my actual TT position. In my last Zwift race I was able to put out 294W (4.5W/kg) for half an hour but I'm pretty sure I can't pull that off in the TT position (especially on the trainer), and the race is likely going to last 40-45'. Zwift only looks at W/kg and takes a fixed CdA for my length and weight, so ofcourse on the hoods I'll have a better result..

From a personal perspective it might make sense to do it in the TT position since it's a TT, but I'd also like to do well and I'll likely have burning quads after 15-20' at those wattages while I could do more or atleast for longer on the hoods. And my guess is that most people do them on the hoods anyway for the same reasons..

Zwift TTs are unfortunately next to useless. They don't even pretend to reward people for having low CdA, so why bother (unless if it's a hillclimb TT). In the real world, I hit 45.5 kph avg on 310W, while many others hit that speed at 360W+. On zwift, they'd be a lot faster. Maybe you can take that absurdity better than I can, but it would require a lot of equanimity, which I personally believe is better reserved for more important aspects of life.

As such, I don't do Zwift TTs, but that doesn't stop me from riding in my TT position on Zwift. Ditto for doing hard intervals in the drops, which is how I've always done them in the real world. Good thing about TTs is that training for them gets you pretty close to the race itself. So if I were you, I'd train in the TT position, b/c that's what helps you in the real world. Find a course having features similar to the 42km race in real life, and just give it a go this weekend (a parcour that takes ~40 min to complete would be fine). Use whatever tools available to help you through the work out (be it an old edition of Paris Roubaix, some blower fans, whatever), but do as much of that ~40min as possible on the extensions of the TT bike.

Good luck, I don't think it'll be fun, but it should certainly help you better prepare for a real ~hour-long TT when things resume.
Quote Reply
Re: ZWIFT RACING, what am I doing wrong? (rant) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
plifter242 wrote:

unfortunately, all of this

having a large frontal area just isn't penalized on Zwift, so no reason not to "race" on the hoods while on Zwift. I also have bottles on a table next to me, and three fans going, when I'm really churning.

While on the topic of bottles, one funny thing is that it usually takes me 1.5 hours to consume 1.5 L of liquid (even in really hot conditions), but I easily consume that much (and then some) when doing indoor racing about one hour in duration.

Tri_Joeri wrote:

Zwift TTs are unfortunately next to useless. They don't even pretend to reward people for having low CdA, so why bother (unless if it's a hillclimb TT). In the real world, I hit 45.5 kph avg on 310W, while many others hit that speed at 360W+. On zwift, they'd be a lot faster. Maybe you can take that absurdity better than I can, but it would require a lot of equanimity, which I personally believe is better reserved for more important aspects of life.

As such, I don't do Zwift TTs, but that doesn't stop me from riding in my TT position on Zwift. Ditto for doing hard intervals in the drops, which is how I've always done them in the real world. Good thing about TTs is that training for them gets you pretty close to the race itself. So if I were you, I'd train in the TT position, b/c that's what helps you in the real world. Find a course having features similar to the 42km race in real life, and just give it a go this weekend (a parcour that takes ~40 min to complete would be fine). Use whatever tools available to help you through the work out (be it an old edition of Paris Roubaix, some blower fans, whatever), but do as much of that ~40min as possible on the extensions of the TT bike.

Good luck, I don't think it'll be fun, but it should certainly help you better prepare for a real ~hour-long TT when things resume.

QF...soo much damn truth!

I train and ride my TT bike in Zwift so I can work on holding the position and pacing. I totally ignore the fictitious results.

I've poured time into my position and equipment choices IRL. I'm lightyears faster on the same watts IRL. So, I don't register for Zwift TT's any longer. I just free-ride or do workouts in TT. I'll use the TT bike in Zwift not necessarily to "go faster". You won't on a free ride, no draft. But, the no draft allows you to keep the trainer in realistic mode and work on pacing better than road position and catching a draft from people.

Also, I highly doubt 100% of folks racing Zwift TT's on a TT bike are even in a TT position or could hold even 2/3 of their road power in a TT position for that long. Of course, the TT nerds and tri nerds can do it. But, c'mon. I'm not naive.
Quote Reply

Prev Next