Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Smart Door Locks - Opinions wanted
Quote | Reply
Looking for 1st hand info from folks that have tried "smart" door locks.

Yay or nay?

Wifey is wanting one but I'm not sold on the need.

Her pick at this point is the August Smart Lock.

Thanks!!

-moyes
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Door Locks - Opinions wanted [Moyes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have the August lock. Easy install and seems to work okay. Takes about 4 to 5 seconds to connect/ register and unlock via phone. Looks a little bulky on the inside of the house vs a normal lock.

Nice bonus my kids can get in with their phones. No real downsides so far. It has always worked for us when locking / unlocking. We've had it for a year now with no issues.

Wife likes the fact that with the push start car she just leaves keys in her purse when going out.

From a security perspective I've never set up external access, so it only connects via bluetooth and my local router wifi.
Last edited by: TriDave: Mar 2, 19 8:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a cipher lock for 16 years on the door that leads in through the garage. I also have a garage genie. We haven't used a house key since we built this house. I just bought another cipher lock to put on another door in the event that the power is out and we can't get the garage door open.

We have a "family" code that never changes, and can add other codes if we need to give temporary access. For us, I see no reason to have a smart lock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Serious question. I often leave my house and forget my phone. Is there a way to unlock without your phone?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a fully configured Nest house. All controlled by the Google Home Hub. If this is your first smart device carefully consider where you are going in the end. Everything doesn't have to work together, but if they do life is certainly easier.

We originally bought a first gen Yale lock 4 years ago. We wanted it because we run and bike and didn't want to carry keys. It worked fine, but when we decided to buy thermostats and smoke detectors and went with Nest the lock didn't play. The straw that broke the back was the security system, also Nest, that can use Yale's new smart lock to arm and disarm the system.

As best I can tell, most new locks do about the same things, just in different techno systems. Each has it's own couple of unique tricks, but nothing anyone must have.

It's great that the wife can come home from work at midnight, pull into the driveway, and while still safe in the car turn on the outside lights, turn off the alarm, turn on the house lights, and unlock the front door. As soon as she shuts the door and say "Hey Google, I'm home" the door locks, outside light go off, and the alarm arms.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Door Locks - Opinions wanted [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had one on my garage door but it crapped out a few years back and I never replaced it.

Plus, coming through my garage is a good way to trip over something and break your neck! ;-)

-moyes
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Door Locks - Opinions wanted [TriDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDave wrote:
Have the August lock. Easy install and seems to work okay. Takes about 4 to 5 seconds to connect/ register and unlock via phone. Looks a little bulky on the inside of the house vs a normal lock.

Nice bonus my kids can get in with their phones. No real downsides so far. It has always worked for us when locking / unlocking. We've had it for a year now with no issues.

Wife likes the fact that with the push start car she just leaves keys in her purse when going out.

From a security perspective I've never set up external access, so it only connects via bluetooth and my local router wifi.

What happens if power is out and your Wi-Fi is down?

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our home uses Alexa as the hub, Vivint for security, and August locks all working together.

My best case for smart locks is the ability to remotely access home features, such as temperature and locks. I like them very much.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Door Locks - Opinions wanted [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You use your key. Essentially the August lock just fits over the inside part of your lock and has a servo that turns it. The rest of your lock looks the same from the outside. Part of why we bought it, you can't tell we have one from the outside.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Door Locks - Opinions wanted [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Serious question. I often leave my house and forget my phone. Is there a way to unlock without your phone?

They have keypads. They also have a spot for a physical key. I never use my phone. I use the keypad every time.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Schlage Z-Wave deadbolt

https://www.amazon.com/...le?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It. Is. Awesome! I never use my phone. I use the touch pad. I love the fact I can program a one-time code for visitors who I want to have temporary access. In addition, it tied into our Ring Alarm system and connected to Alexa. So, I can ask Alexa to tell me whether the front and/or back door are locked. I can tell her to lock or unlock. When I arm my Ring Alarm, the locks are connected so, if forced open, it sets off the alarm. Finally, I can set it to warn me if the locks are not locked after a certain amount of time after the door has been closed. I don't really use that feature. They are battery powered and send an alert to my phone if/when the battery gets low.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for the Schlage Z-Wave.

Use it similar to JSA and also think it is awesome, but with Wink rather than Alexa.

In addition to what JSA likes (easy to program, one time codes for access, never carry keys or phone) I like that it does have a key override so if the batteries die, I can still get in from a hidden key. Generally the low battery notification lets me know, but I like the backup.

One feature tied to Wink is the ability to use "robots" to notify me when certain codes are used. Alexa might also have this feature, but thought it was worth mentioning.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Door Locks - Opinions wanted [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
DavHamm wrote:

They also have a spot for a physical key.

Not all of them. Yale x Nest only has a keypad, but the codes are in the lock. When power is out it still works. They also have contacts on the bottom for a 9v battery in case you ignore the low battery warning and need to jump start it.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Door Locks - Opinions wanted [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
I have the Schlage Z-Wave deadbolt

https://www.amazon.com/...le?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It. Is. Awesome! I never use my phone. I use the touch pad. I love the fact I can program a one-time code for visitors who I want to have temporary access. In addition, it tied into our Ring Alarm system and connected to Alexa. So, I can ask Alexa to tell me whether the front and/or back door are locked. I can tell her to lock or unlock. When I arm my Ring Alarm, the locks are connected so, if forced open, it sets off the alarm. Finally, I can set it to warn me if the locks are not locked after a certain amount of time after the door has been closed. I don't really use that feature. They are battery powered and send an alert to my phone if/when the battery gets low.

This. We live/play on a lake. So often we are swimming or boating and don't like to take our keys. We have keypad deadbolts on the front (garage entry) and lakeside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Nexia Home systems (Zee Wave) in the condos that I own and at my Indiana residence. The Nexia allows me to remotely set users codes and monitor thermostats in our 2 rental condos. Plus, I can lock-out our tenant if they go rouge on us. I control 4 seperate residences with Nexia and have never expeienced any problems.

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Quote Reply