Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How big is "Big Sexy" Chris McDonald?
Quote | Reply
Anyone know his height and weight? He seems like a pretty big guy to break Ultraman record.
Quote Reply
Re: How big is "Big Sexy" Chris McDonald? [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not the size of the man. It's the size of his heart. Congrats to Chris on a tremendous performance!

Real People. Real Coaching. Real Results. http://www.ts2coaching.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've met Chris on several occasions, but it's been a while.
I'd guess 6'2", but every time I've seen him he's been fit AF... would he break 200lbs? I duno.
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Mar 1, 19 9:35
Quote Reply
Re: How big is "Big Sexy" Chris McDonald? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He must be around 200lbs. Amazing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trimac2 wrote:
Anyone know his height and weight? He seems like a pretty big guy to break Ultraman record.

Chris is a big dude and I would venture to say he is above 6 feet 2 but he was a much bigger dude I believe before triathlon. He has run 2:4x Ironman marathons before fwiw. I am not at all surprised that Chris broke the record, although the course is different so that makes comparisons tough, but they had even more miles in the clay this year and that can't help but slow things down with all the elevation. He is at least a 7+ Ironman winner, and a diesel. I would suspect he would nail the ultraman WC as well.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: How big is "Big Sexy" Chris McDonald? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He looks more like a linebacker than triathlete. Just shows that you don't need to be a lightweight to do well in this sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right...because the majority of triathletes are trying to bulk up to get faster. McDonald is an aberration and not the norm. The truth is that most of us would get faster by dropping a few pounds.

trimac2 wrote:
He looks more like a linebacker than triathlete. Just shows that you don't need to be a lightweight to do well in this sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dunno, people like to overestimate their height, and in doing so, assume others are taller than they really are.

I'm legit 6'3" - 205-210lbs.

When I talked with Chris at UMFL he was definitely a bit shorter than me and WAY skinnier. I'd put him at 5'10"-6' and somewhere around 185lbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think he is 190-200 range. I order from OWA a lot and I’m about the same size and they often size me similar to him. As someone his size, I find his speed at that weight truly incredible. If there is legitimacy to 2 secs/pound/mile running speed, imamgine what he could do if he was 30 pounds lighter.
Quote Reply
Re: How big is "Big Sexy" Chris McDonald? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He and I trained together for many years and he is about 5-11 or maybe 6 even and his weight is likely 180-195 depending on the fitness level.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: How big is "Big Sexy" Chris McDonald? [Ironfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironfan wrote:
I dunno, people like to overestimate their height, and in doing so, assume others are taller than they really are.

When I talked with Chris at UMFL he was definitely a bit shorter than me and WAY skinnier. I'd put him at 5'10"-6' and somewhere around 185lbs.

So otherwise, a completely normal sized male.

Jesus, I'm 6', 185-190, legitimately. I'm a pretty normal looking dude. How does someone that size get the nickname 'big sexy'?!? If someone called me that, I would assume they were being sarcastic. Minus the sexy part, of course.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Last edited by: BCtriguy1: Mar 1, 19 19:17
Quote Reply
Re: How big is "Big Sexy" Chris McDonald? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Ironfan wrote:

Jesus, I'm 6', 185-190, legitimately. I'm a pretty normal looking dude. How does someone that size get the nickname 'big sexy'?!? If someone called me that, I would assume they were being sarcastic. Minus the sexy part, of course.

Im 6’2 and 160. Ive never met him him but if he standa next to me he probably does look big.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: How big is "Big Sexy" Chris McDonald? [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chuy wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Ironfan wrote:

Im 6’2 and 160. Ive never met him him but if he standa next to me he probably does look big.

That's because your nickname could very well be 'Bean pole'. :-)

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: How big is "Big Sexy" Chris McDonald? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bike was faster course than usual this year, but very good run from him. 7h is a great time and that Florida course is quite a bit slower than the Hawaii run. I think if he can withstand the heat then I think Chris will do well in Hawaii.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: How big is "Big Sexy" Chris McDonald? [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
The bike was faster course than usual this year, but very good run from him. 7h is a great time and that Florida course is quite a bit slower than the Hawaii run. I think if he can withstand the heat then I think Chris will do well in Hawaii.

What are your plans for this year? Looking to do UM Hawaii again?
Quote Reply
Re: How big is "Big Sexy" Chris McDonald? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
robgray wrote:

What are your plans for this year? Looking to do UM Hawaii again?

My current plan is UM Arizona next March. I'll see how the year unfolds though. At this point, first race is in August! It's nice not having an early season race for a change

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: How big is "Big Sexy" Chris McDonald? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the brand name is sarcastic too. He isn’t literally naming himself big and sexy
Quote Reply
Re: How big is "Big Sexy" Chris McDonald? [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:

But if he's 15ish lbs heavier than the next guy, or let's say 7 kilos, he is going at 4W per kilo, then he's generating 16W per kilo of extra heat......so going at say 3W per kilo, he's still generating 85-100W of extra heat compared to the person 7 kilo's lighter. You do that over 22 hrs and you burned through around 8000 kilojoules of heat that has to be dealt with. So I don't think its a slam dunk that he does great at the UM World's in Kona if his so called "size" is to be believed....also that size will work against him both for the uphills on the Kona bike and the Hawi to Kawaihai first opening half marathon downhill run segment. I wish him the best, but I think lighter athletes have a better chance in Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He was given that nickname when he was training with a group of extremely lean and slight athletes. And he used to weigh about 100LBs more in his youth.
At peak fitness he's not as heavy as some people above have stated. He was lean when he was racing at peak fitness (winning IM's). Judging by his comments in the article and what I know if him, he was no where close to peak fitness in Florida.
Chris has a massive ribcage. So he looks a lot bigger/heavier than he actually is.
Height guess... 6'1" or 6'2"?? He's at least a couple inches taller than Hoffman. And Hoffman is 5'10".
Quote Reply
Re: How big is "Big Sexy" Chris McDonald? [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he got his nickname partially because he used to weight 250 pounds.

He has stated before he races at 185 or less. I dont think he puts that out there much anymore with his "Big Sexy" brand.

185 is obviously very large for a pro triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: How big is "Big Sexy" Chris McDonald? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I wish him the best, but I think lighter athletes have a better chance in Kona.

yes! Thanks Dev, I'll just have to race now to prove you right! And hopefully not by extending my Jan Ullrich program all summer....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trimac2 wrote:

Either way the guy is pushing himself and going into the unknown........impressive, to put himself out there is inspirational.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nickname given to him from Brett Sutton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good Question
Quote Reply