Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Monday's going to be wierd
Quote | Reply
My lab-mate is retiring after about 33 years on the job. We've been in the same lab for about 20 of those years and tomorrow is his last day. We're going to punch out a bit early tomorrow and go have a couple beers, but after that I doubt we'll see each other again. We've never really hung out outside of work, but after nearly 20 years we're good 'work buddies' - we've got our inside jokes and long-running 'code words' and phrases that don't mean anything to anyone else, but crack us up to no end. Hell, after almost 20 years, we can crack each other up without saying a word. We've bounced ideas off each other, bitched n' griped about corporate BS, celebrated each others' successes and laughed a ton. I'm genuinely happy for him and wish him well, but damn - when I come in Monday morning and am greeted by his empty desk, it's going to be wierd.

So long, ol' lab buddy - we've had a good run.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Monday's going to be wierd [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a best friend at work who is also one of my best friends away from work. We're going to be pretty close to retiring at the same time and there's a big part of me who hopes it works out that way. I can't imagine doing my job without him. Good luck to you and to your friend. Be sure to tell him how much he means to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a cool story.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Monday's going to be wierd [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no law about keeping in touch.
Quote Reply
Re: Monday's going to be wierd [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
There is no law about keeping in touch.

My husband and I just went on a double date with my old boss and his wife. They have 20+ years on us and are about 2 years into retirement. It was a blast. So great to see home doing well and hear about their crazy travel.

We have standing plans to meet up twice a year. We’re not weekly meet up close but I have enjoyed our twice a year plans.

It left a big hole when he left. We had been through two companies and stints in and out of boss employee over 20 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

It sounds like he died...

Can't you just meet up outside of work?
Quote Reply
Re: Monday's going to be wierd [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

It sounds like he died...

Can't you just meet up outside of work?

Are we sure he isn't talking about a labrador retriever?

But I know what you are saying. I worked with the same core group of 5 people for over 10 years. It was really weird when the app was shut down and we moved around. We all still worked at the same company. We barely saw each other after that.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you make meth?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Monday's going to be wierd [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the thoughtful reply, and I do hope that things work out for you and your friend as well. I got a really nice bottle of single malt for my friend and a silly card, in which I wrote a short note that says it all. It ends with "Thanks for the laughs". Feels appropriate, and after a few beers tomorrow, I'm sure I'll raise a glass and do a bit of speechifyin'

Quote Reply
Re: Monday's going to be wierd [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, there's nothing stopping us from getting together and I'll likely try to keep in touch. Thing is, after nearly 20 years I know that he's not much for socializing - we're chemists, a profession that is not generally renowned for their social skills, I can see us and the wives maybe getting together for a dinner or two, but our relationship has always been in the lab. After tomorrow, I can easily see us never seeing each other again.

Quote Reply
Re: Monday's going to be wierd [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's just say that while I do possess the skills, no....

....as far as you know.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TiDriver wrote:
Yeah, there's nothing stopping us from getting together and I'll likely try to keep in touch. Thing is, after nearly 20 years I know that he's not much for socializing - we're chemists, a profession that is not generally renowned for their social skills, I can see us and the wives maybe getting together for a dinner or two, but our relationship has always been in the lab. After tomorrow, I can easily see us never seeing each other again.

That's hilarious and very true!
Quote Reply