Andy Potts
Cody Beals
Matt Russell

The rest of the pros
https://www.challenge-roth.com/...-challenge-roth.html
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth 2019pro starters [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about my countryman McNamee racing?! Or the very talented Cam Wurf?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lucy v. Laura seems tantalizing

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth 2019pro starters [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, super excited for that battle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The female race will be interesting. Laura is damn strong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great field for Cody to test himself against. The 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, and 9th place guys from Kona last year

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth 2019pro starters [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
Great field for Cody to test himself against.

Didn't he say he was going to do IMMT as well? He's going to do three IMs in under three months? That will be like five total in ~14months.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is the deepest and strongest roth male field in a while.
frankfurt obviously paid the big bucks for the 3 german superstars but roth selected very wisely
of course the question will be who will be in shape and goes all out
charles likely wasnt tapered last year . Mc namee like lange seems to focus much more on being fit for kona.

will roth have again the extra price money from the postponed colins cup ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love this start list - Challenge clearly went hard to get such a deep field. Jan and Sebi need to still qualify and are recovering from injury, so couldn't expect them to start Roth, and the German rivalry in Frankfurt should be a fun dynamic.

Women's side will be a really fun side of contenders obviously Laura/Lucy front line. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't see Ryf/True confirmed for either... wonder if there's any fight to get those two still going on

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth 2019pro starters [ChasingPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChasingPB wrote:
Love this start list - Challenge clearly went hard to get such a deep field. Jan and Sebi need to still qualify and are recovering from injury, so couldn't expect them to start Roth, and the German rivalry in Frankfurt should be a fun dynamic.

Women's side will be a really fun side of contenders obviously Laura/Lucy front line. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't see Ryf/True confirmed for either... wonder if there's any fight to get those two still going on

Daniela announced Ironman Austria a while ago. I suspect that she's going to be going after that world record of 8:18 as that's a pretty dang fast course. Will be interesting to see where Sarah ends up, but she likes the big races and I would assume Frankfurt or Cairns.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Lucy v. Laura seems tantalizing

Lucy just blew by me in the orange jersey on Zwift holding 4.7w/kg. I wonder if and when she will beat Ryf.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth 2019pro starters [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Pun_Times wrote:

Didn't he say he was going to do IMMT as well? He's going to do three IMs in under three months? That will be like five total in ~14months.
Yes, he's doing all three, and has admitted IMMT is a bit close to Kona but wants to defend his title.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aw man, this isn't until July, is it? I had the fleeting exhilaration that I might have something fun to do this weekend.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth 2019pro starters [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Pun_Times wrote:

Yeah, I'm in for IMMT as well. I know that 3 full distance races in 3.5 months is ambitious and risky. This could very well be a learning experience. My mentor, David Tilbury-Davis, strongly recommended against this plan, so it's all on me. It's possible that I'm underestimating the full toll that an all-out IM can take. I bounced back well from IMMT and IMChoo, but I won both those races by 10+ minutes and wasn't pressured late in the run where the real damage can occur... or so I'm told. With this plan, the reality is that neither Kona nor IMMT nor Roth can be A+ races. If all goes well, it'll be more like A-, B, A- and even that is asking for a lot!

I'm getting the question of "why IMMT?" a lot, so here's my copy/paste response:

I'll be honest, the timing of IMMT is probably not optimal. It's still on my schedule for a few reasons. First of all, I'm not putting all my eggs in the Kona basket. I intend to be competitive there, but the reality is that it's a very risky race. I'm running a business after all, so I have to be pragmatic and hedge my bets a little. Roth is similarly risky. I need some races that are a more reliable way to pay the bills! IMMT is also a special race, obviously as my IM debut, but also as the most high profile Canadian race. I couldn't turn down the opportunity to defend there! Finally, I'm not taking for granted the conventional wisdom that racing IMs in the lead up to Kona is a bad idea. Many pros have proven this wrong with spectacular Kona performances on the heels of other IMs.

One other point: to help prepare for this big summer, I took my longest and deepest period of downtime in a decade after IMChoo. I've gradually been building back up and I'm still only training an average of 17 hours/week so far this year. I've taken more days totally off so far in 2019 than some entire years in the past! I'm not even close to digging into those deep reserves that I'll have to tap into later this year.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth 2019pro starters [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds good
I will be in Roth again this year,its a Great Race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strong field, looking forward to it, will there be live coverage?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth 2019pro starters [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but I won both those races by 10+ minutes and wasn't pressured late in the run where the real damage can occur... or so I'm told. //

This is the key right there in front of you, to be able to make at least two of those races your A+ ones. First of all, dont ever win another ironman by 10 minutes, that is just stupid for a pro that is cramming in lots of racing. It is not that hard to back off and just win by 3 minutes, or if in 2nd or 3rd place and not in a position to win anymore, just hold that place with the least amount of effort as possible. Having a really shitty day, just pull the plug altogether.

And you were told right, you will do most of the damage hammering all the way to the finish line, and of course the race is a lot more unpleasant that way too. Imagine how fun it would be to just be running tempo for most the marathon, and still winning!! Other people have raced successfully that far apart, but they paid attention to recovery and the pace in each race. I believe you can do the same thing, and not have to throw in the towel on how you think you will race so soon. Plan for success, do the first race, and then be ready to adjust. No reason in the world at this time in the season that Kona cannot be the best race of your life, stop with the negative sandbagging before it is even summer yet!!! (-;
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth 2019pro starters [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, thanks Monty. All good points. I catch myself sandbagging all the time because I like operating from an underdog position. I got accustomed to being underestimated over the first few years of my career and I'm still learning to manage this newfound pressure!

As for winning races by 10+ minutes, I hear you; it's unnecessary and stupid in most cases. I think I could be forgiven for winning IMMT by a large margin because it was my debut and I wanted to make a splash. At IMChoo, I was paranoid about my position due to the time trial format. No excuses next time!

I'm a little terrified by the idea of being pressured late in the run in an IM. Every single one of my IM/70.3 wins has been by a very comfortable margin. However, the performances I'm most proud of are the 2nd/3rd/4th place finishes where I had to absolutely empty the tank. So I'm as eager as nervous to take a crack at races like Roth and Kona.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth 2019pro starters [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
ChasingPB wrote:

Daniela announced Ironman Austria a while ago. I suspect that she's going to be going after that world record of 8:18 as that's a pretty dang fast course. Will be interesting to see where Sarah ends up, but she likes the big races and I would assume Frankfurt or Cairns.

I think she announced Texas yesterday (and Oceanside 70.3), which should be way faster than Austria (Austria has quite a bit of climbing, some 4x more than Texas). Maybe a bit early in the year but would be nice to see how close to 8h she could go on a fast course.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth 2019pro starters [markko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’ll be interesting to see if the get the distance correct this year at Texas. If not she could get awefully close to 8 if they had weather like last year.

I’d like to see her beat Jen Annett’s bike split from last year if the course is correct. She was only 57 seconds off it with her Kona bike last year.

Matt
Last edited by: Pun_Times: Mar 4, 19 11:52
Quote Reply