Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

So what happened to the Virginian political scandals?
Quote | Reply
It's a sincere question. Several weeks ago, it was front page news everywhere and the Democratic Presidential hopefuls all but stampeded to the microphones to condemn the three and call for their careers.

Now, crickets. The news has moved on and along with it, it seems, went the outrage.

Is this a case of leftist hypocrisy due to the very real possibility that the Governor would be replaced by a Republican? Or, is it a sign that the "off with their heads" response to such allegations has abated? Or is it something else?

I suppose the Attorney General's order of an investigation into the allegations against him counts for something, but probably not much.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: So what happened to the Virginian political scandals? [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, there is this with the governor's wife. It seems to be much ado about nothing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...m_term=.766f7cb43814
Quote Reply
Re: So what happened to the Virginian political scandals? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You beat me to it, I was just posting a link to that story. What a gem.
Quote Reply
Re: So what happened to the Virginian political scandals? [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
It's a sincere question. Several weeks ago, it was front page news everywhere and the Democratic Presidential hopefuls all but stampeded to the microphones to condemn the three and call for their careers.

Now, crickets. The news has moved on and along with it, it seems, went the outrage.

Is this a case of leftist hypocrisy due to the very real possibility that the Governor would be replaced by a Republican? Or, is it a sign that the "off with their heads" response to such allegations has abated? Or is it something else?

I suppose the Attorney General's order of an investigation into the allegations against him counts for something, but probably not much.

The Governor took a week off, read "Roots", apologized, and claimed that he would use the rest of his term to confront the issue of white privilege.

The Lt. Governor recently compared himself with lynching victims.

The Governor's wife, who I assumed had the good sense in the family since she cut short her idiot husband's attempt to moonwalk at a press conference, gave some black school children raw cotton and asked them to imagine what it was like to be a slave.

We are all good here.

Freedom just around the corner for you. But with the truth so far off, what good will it do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And then there's this in Maryland.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/...-20190228-story.html

Simple rule of thumb is that if your a Dem, you can get away with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cohen..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really goes to show that if you just hunker down and keep plowing ahead you can survive. If Franken had just held out for a couple weeks a new scandal comes along and pushes yours down the page. Hell, Larry Wide Stance Craig pled guilty and just decided to ride it out.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: So what happened to the Virginian political scandals? [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:

You know, I was going to list all of the Republicans who survived. But then I realized that you almost certainly realized you were spewing nonsense and decided to not waste my time making sure I spelled their names right.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: So what happened to the Virginian political scandals? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
svennn wrote:

You know, I was going to list all of the Republicans who survived. But then I realized that you almost certainly realized you were spewing nonsense and decided to not waste my time making sure I spelled their names right.

Thanks for not wasting my time.

I'll revise my last comment based on your response.

This goes to show that no matter what party you are a part of, you can survive. But, Dems can't control the moral high ground as they like to think they do.

Better?
Quote Reply
Re: So what happened to the Virginian political scandals? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
It really goes to show that if you just hunker down and keep plowing ahead you can survive. If Franken had just held out for a couple weeks a new scandal comes along and pushes yours down the page. Hell, Larry Wide Stance Craig pled guilty and just decided to ride it out.

That was my thought. Just don't panic and ride it out. You could even take it to the Trump level and barely be phased by it in the first place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:

i followed this for awhile. as regards, the governor, here's what i observed.

for about a week, white people not from virginia expressed their black outrage, and counseled black people who live in virginia on what to do. then, somebody hit on the novel idea of asking black people who live and vote in virginia what they thought. turns out they were more interested in what the governor did for them during his time in public service, rather than what he did when he was in college. did his achievements align with their interests? did he do what he said he would do? stuff like that.

the polls i saw had a lot more black virginians thinking he should stay than go, while a majority of white virginians think he should go than stay. apparently white people couldn't get black virginians sufficiently outraged, so they moved on.

don't skewer me bro. i'm not saying what ought to be. i'm saying what is. or, what was, and is, to the best of my ability to read the news (tho maybe mrs. northam might affect future events, i don't know).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Feb 28, 19 14:28
Quote Reply
Re: So what happened to the Virginian political scandals? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Crank wrote:

for about a week, white people not from virginia expressed their black outrage, and counseled black people who live in virginia on what to do. then, somebody hit on the novel idea of asking black people who live and vote in virginia what they thought. turns out they were more interested in what the governor did for them during his time in public service, rather than what he did when he was in college. did his achievements align with their interests? did he do what he said he would do? stuff like that.

the polls i saw had a lot more black virginians thinking he should stay than go, while a majority of white virginians think he should go than stay. apparently white people couldn't get black virginians sufficiently outraged, so they moved on.

don't skewer me bro. i'm not saying what ought to be. i'm saying what is. or, what was, and is, to the best of my ability to read the news (tho maybe mrs. northam might affect future events, i don't know).

I try not to skewer thoughtful and sincere responses, regardless of where they fall, because where they fall may be closer to the truth than I realize. ;-)

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: So what happened to the Virginian political scandals? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Crank wrote:

Exactly how it should be. Stupid acts in the past sometimes do not and should not define the present.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Accusations of rape are no big deal.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: So what happened to the Virginian political scandals? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

The alleged rape is apparently no big deal, but making the allegations is akin to lynching.

https://pilotonline.com/...1a-8063b7888c3d.html

As someone alluded to in an earlier thread, I wish Virginia could have a do-over on the election.

Freedom just around the corner for you. But with the truth so far off, what good will it do?
Quote Reply
Re: So what happened to the Virginian political scandals? [jepvb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jepvb wrote:
Duffy wrote:

The alleged rape is apparently no big deal, but making the allegations is akin to lynching.

https://pilotonline.com/...1a-8063b7888c3d.html

As someone alluded to in an earlier thread, I wish Virginia could have a do-over on the election.

You can't make this stuff up....

I basically agree with Dan. I've talked to some people around here that I know and they said the same thing about the blackface. Who cares what he did when he was young.

I just have a hard time believing if they were all republicans that it would all blow over this easily. Maybe I'm wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: So what happened to the Virginian political scandals? [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a great article yesterday in the WSJ - addressing how quiet this matter had become. It was felt that if these were Republicans - the outcry would have continued.

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: So what happened to the Virginian political scandals? [jepvb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jepvb wrote:
I wish Virginia could have a do-over on the election.

well, at least the state next door is having one ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:

I just read an article about a school where the PE teacher had students doing an obstacle course based on escaping from slavery via the underground railroad. Think it was an elementary school in VA or MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
West Virginia just told Virginia to hold its beer:

https://www.nbcnews.com/...tter_impression=true
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:

My aunt, uncle, and a couple cousins are long time VA residents. Its absolutely a case of leftist hypocrisy. It didn't take them long to figure out if all three of these accused guys were removed from office, a Republican would then become the governor. Once they realized that, they pretty much had their mass media news supporters make the stories disappear. Until a couple days ago when the governors wife was back in the news for handing out cotton to black school kids during a mansion tour and telling them to "ponder" slavery. You can't make this stuff up.
Quote Reply
Re: So what happened to the Virginian political scandals? [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My aunt, uncle, and a couple cousins are long time VA residents.

That's a total of two people, right?

S' OK. I grew up in Appalachia too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The whole black face story was pushed out to squash the "kill your baby after its been born "story.
Mission accomplished so story over.
Quote Reply
Re: So what happened to the Virginian political scandals? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
My aunt, uncle, and a couple cousins are long time VA residents.

That's a total of two people, right?

S' OK. I grew up in Appalachia too.

Sounds like you need to go back there and finish your 6th grade education.
Quote Reply
Re: So what happened to the Virginian political scandals? [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Crank wrote:

Exactly how it should be. Stupid acts in the past sometimes do not and should not define the present.

Kinda like the exploits of a couple of SCOTUS judges and the POTUS, right?
Quote Reply