Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nest Detect on a Garage Door
Quote | Reply
I Googled this and came up with a "you can't dothat" type answer. However, nothing is impossible if you want it bad enough and this group is pretty cleaver in their thinking, so...

I have a Nest Secure System. I bought a Detect sensor for the garage door. It is a standard sensor/magnet type device, just a little cuter with a few extra features. The instructions say it can not be put in an environment below 40 or above 100. My garage is attached but unheated. It will probably exceed both of those temps for some of the year. Nest groups says that the limit is for the battery life and all that happens in harsh environments is the battery goes dead quicker. It doesn't affect the sensor functions. That is not a problem, I can live with that.

The problem is how to attach it to the door so that it will function as an open/shut indicator. I can't figure out a way to do that. It also will function as a sonar sensor if I put it on the wall, but the motion detection function on Nest only works in away mode, and only all of nothing. That makes it impractical to use because when we are at home and asleep the motion detectors are off - the most likely time someone would break into the garage.

So what I'm looking for is an innovative solution to sensing garage door movement.

One last thing, there is no electric opener on the door. I realized that is a solution but I'm not ready to take that on quite yet.

I'm counting on all you very cleaver thinkers to get me going the right direction. Thanks in advance.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Nest Detect on a Garage Door [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
I Googled this and came up with a "you can't dothat" type answer. However, nothing is impossible if you want it bad enough and this group is pretty cleaver in their thinking, so...

I have a Nest Secure System. I bought a Detect sensor for the garage door. It is a standard sensor/magnet type device, just a little cuter with a few extra features. The instructions say it can not be put in an environment below 40 or above 100. My garage is attached but unheated. It will probably exceed both of those temps for some of the year. Nest groups says that the limit is for the battery life and all that happens in harsh environments is the battery goes dead quicker. It doesn't affect the sensor functions. That is not a problem, I can live with that.

The problem is how to attach it to the door so that it will function as an open/shut indicator. I can't figure out a way to do that. It also will function as a sonar sensor if I put it on the wall, but the motion detection function on Nest only works in away mode, and only all of nothing. That makes it impractical to use because when we are at home and asleep the motion detectors are off - the most likely time someone would break into the garage.

So what I'm looking for is an innovative solution to sensing garage door movement.

One last thing, there is no electric opener on the door. I realized that is a solution but I'm not ready to take that on quite yet.

I'm counting on all you very cleaver thinkers to get me going the right direction. Thanks in advance.

I am not certain that we are cleaver thinkers. Mostly because I can't figure out what a cleaver thinker might possibly be.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's your garage door made of?

The Nest Detect, is it two pieces? One goes on the door and the other its mate which is placed where it will remain static? The two coming in contact then indicate it is closed?

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Nest Detect on a Garage Door [Matt_Stimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My garage door is a stand 4 section wood door. It is on metal rails with a counter spring and cables. There is a scissor type cross bar that moves out to engage slots in the track to lock. Pretty much a basic garage door design that is in most houses.

The detect unit is a sensor that goes on what moves, and a magnet that goes on what doesn't. If they see each other it indicates closed. Otherwise they show open. They are either screw on or stick on. You have the option.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So unless I am missing something, this sounds pretty straight forward.

I think I would investigate the option of using epoxy or some other adhesive to fix a piece of metal the length and width of the door's sensor to one of those panels. Then I would epoxy a rare earth magnet to the door sensor.

This would facilitate easily removing the door sensor to replace the battery or even replace the sensor pretty easy if it ever crapped out. Would this work?

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im a visual guy so pics of your doors and of this sensor would help.

In my garage. I would put the sensor on the garage door header, and a magnet on the TOP of the garage door near the sensor, should be able to get close enough so that when closed it is sensed. the minute the door moves up the magnet will move up but mostly away and sense open.

at either red dot location

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Nest Detect on a Garage Door [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't think of that. It won't work on the side because the rails are in the way. I will have to look and see if my door starts to turn the corner soon enough to clear the magnet. The magnet is pretty small so it might.

Funny, my wife asked last night why I don't just put it on the outside where it fits with nothing in the way. Talk about a gross conceptual error :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you not buy a bracket like what is used to hold the sensor for the door opener for the non mobile sensor?

How close do they have to be in order to register contact?

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Nest Detect on a Garage Door [Matt_Stimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Less than 1/2". I was considering a bracket to move the senor out so it would align with the top of the rail, then put the magnet on the rail. I'm not sure it if all that metal will cause a problem with the units.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just use a normal motion sensor...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need a "wide-gap" external door contact switch and magnet (sometimes called a garage door contact) available through security companies or online. They have a wider gap potential and typically have metal offset arms for properly attach to the door, cement floor or top of door. They sometimes also have an armored wire cable. Contact goes on door with wiring run into a heated space for the transmitter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to a hobby shop or buy online.

Servo tape.

It’s super sticky double sided tape.

Or, you can use 3M heavy duty Velcro. It’s actually plastic, not fabric. It’s used on the I-pass and other toll road highway transponders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does your garage door have an automatic opener?

My friend used Rasberry Pi and wired it to his opener. The wires are attached to the same terminals as the wired button you'd have by your interior door. In his case, he has an iPhone, so through the Apple Home app he can see if his door is open/closed, and it also acts as a remote if needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Nest Detect on a Garage Door [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
Go to a hobby shop or buy online.

Servo tape.

It’s super sticky double sided tape.

Or, you can use 3M heavy duty Velcro. It’s actually plastic, not fabric. It’s used on the I-pass and other toll road highway transponders.

fishgo wrote:
You need a "wide-gap" external door contact switch and magnet (sometimes called a garage door contact) available through security companies or online. They have a wider gap potential and typically have metal offset arms for properly attach to the door, cement floor or top of door. They sometimes also have an armored wire cable. Contact goes on door with wiring run into a heated space for the transmitter.

I really appreciate the suggestions, but you are both missing the point of Nest. It is an integrated proprietary system. You have to use their sensor. The magnet is probably COTS, but the sensor has to connect to the base unit wireless over an encrypted signal. Plus, they come with really sticky tape. Attachment isn't going to be a problem. My problem is location.

Quote Reply
Re: Nest Detect on a Garage Door [GREG_n_SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GREG_n_SD wrote:
Does your garage door have an automatic opener?

My friend used Rasberry Pi and wired it to his opener. The wires are attached to the same terminals as the wired button you'd have by your interior door. In his case, he has an iPhone, so through the Apple Home app he can see if his door is open/closed, and it also acts as a remote if needed.

No, but that is actually a viable and fairly expensive solution. There are actually Nest compatible (Google Home) garage door systems for sale. They integrate right into the Google Home technosphere seamlessly.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does a Nest door contact allow for an external wired contact (not just the sensor and the magnet pieces)? If you can add an external contact (which is not temperature sensitive), then you hardwire that contact to the garage door and run the wire into the house where the transmitter is located. This is how other systems that use the same technology works. If there is no capability for external contacts, then you pretty much cannot use this sensor.

Does someone at Nest have an alternate solution?
Quote Reply
Re: Nest Detect on a Garage Door [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fishgo wrote:
Does a Nest door contact allow for an external wired contact (not just the sensor and the magnet pieces)? If you can add an external contact (which is not temperature sensitive), then you hardwire that contact to the garage door and run the wire into the house where the transmitter is located. This is how other systems that use the same technology works. If there is no capability for external contacts, then you pretty much cannot use this sensor.

Does someone at Nest have an alternate solution?

No external contacts, and from the best I can tell, nothing is offered either from Nest or 3rd party.

I talked to Nest. They told me to reference a page in the manual that "clearly states that our products will not work in a garage." That was pretty much a "challenge accepted" statement for me :)

As a side note, their app will allow you to assign it to a roll up door in a garage. I thought that was kind of strange since the book says no-go.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off, thanks to everyone who gave this some thought and tried to help.

All done. The sensor is screwed down to the top of the garage door. I used a small wood chisel to make a relief in the header and recessed the magnet to clear the door when moves. It is also anchored with a screw.

Now to see how long the battery lasts. If it goes 3 months I'll leave it. 6 months and I'll be very happy. In the house the are rated for 2 years.

Quote Reply