Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Say you are cheating on your wife... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
MLCRISES wrote:
I think I might understand where this question can come from. I have a lot of respect for my FIL. The circumstances that revolve around infidelity are abundant. And none of those circumstances would necessarily involve the FIL. I wouldn’t expect him to understand my reasons for infidelity.

When I married his daughter I was commiting to care for her. He gave her to me. He trusted me. So if I fail to uphold my vows I am failing not just her but him too.

Knowing that I had failed to uphold the promise I made to him would weigh heavy on me. Not being able to hold my head up in his presence would be a great burden for me.

His opinion of me matters.

My FIL did not give my wife to me. She made her own choice. He doesn't own her.

I made no commitments to my FIL because I did not marry my FIL.

I married my wife who is her own person.

No offense but your views of your wife and your FIL are highly outdated.

And kind of creepy to me. And I am old and outdated myself.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Say you are cheating on your wife... [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
BLeP wrote:
MLCRISES wrote:
I think I might understand where this question can come from. I have a lot of respect for my FIL. The circumstances that revolve around infidelity are abundant. And none of those circumstances would necessarily involve the FIL. I wouldn’t expect him to understand my reasons for infidelity.

When I married his daughter I was commiting to care for her. He gave her to me. He trusted me. So if I fail to uphold my vows I am failing not just her but him too.

Knowing that I had failed to uphold the promise I made to him would weigh heavy on me. Not being able to hold my head up in his presence would be a great burden for me.

His opinion of me matters.

My FIL did not give my wife to me. She made her own choice. He doesn't own her.

I made no commitments to my FIL because I did not marry my FIL.

I married my wife who is her own person.

No offense but your views of your wife and your FIL are highly outdated.

And kind of creepy to me. And I am old and outdated myself.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that thought that.

At my friend's wedding, the groom's dad asked the bride's dad permission to do some kind of blessing. It was really, really weird. When I was complaining afterwards, another friend didn't understand at all - he thought "it was very respectful to ask permission". WTF. Ask permission - but ask the person you are talking about, not their father.
Quote Reply
Re: Say you are cheating on your wife... [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before I proposed I had no plans to ask for the FILs blessing. A friend convinced me that I should do it even if I thought it was stupid.

FIL said no. I proposed that night anyway.

Awkward...

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Before I proposed I had no plans to ask for the FILs blessing. A friend convinced me that I should do it even if I thought it was stupid.

Awkward...

Why did he say no?
What did you say to him?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Awkward...

... the backstory.
Quote Reply
Re: Say you are cheating on your wife... [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Awkward...

Why did he say no?
What did you say to him?

Geez so long ago now I barely remember what I said.

He explained later that he was concerned that I didn’t have a good job. He didn’t know at the time that I was making plans to go back to college which I did. Then went into IT.

Anyway, all water under the bridge now.

I never should have asked. I didn’t believe in that crap and still don’t (and neither does the wife)

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Awkward...

Lol

I asked my FIL permission and he agreed. Years later when my kids were born he and his wife were screaming at me- won’t go into that. Although, it was about me applying for a job while the kids were young and Life was complicated. I walked my wife out to the car and after she was in the car, I went back into the house and gave them a piece of my mind and told them they gave their rights away and gave permission. FIL- says, ok- but .... I was like, you don’t get that this doesn’t involve you.

Anywho- we are divorced now and my ex’s parents were a big problem so the marriage counselor pointed out. Often they were involved in our lives and didn’t need to be.
Quote Reply
Re: Say you are cheating on your wife... [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew69 wrote:
jharris wrote:

Your #1 statement is pretty lame. I wouldn’t judge anyone. As someone who is divorced and spent 4 years in couples counseling, I can say that nobody knows what the depth of a marriage is to just point at someone and choose sides. A friend who also divorced would often call me and honestly, I would side with his wife every time he would complain.

People assume some guy is at a bar and just sees a hot girl and decides, hey- I’m gonna just sleep with her. Pretty unlikely if a man is truly in a good marriage. The marriage is broken already and an affair is a side effect.

I would say for anyone who is married. If you haven’t had sex in 2 weeks, the conversation should already be on the table. With my current girlfriend of 6 years, we notice when things are slipping and we get back on track. Too many things happen with bonding from sex to let that slide.
Just picking up on the lines I bolded (emboldened??)

It may be lame in your opinion, but I dont see it that way.
For some people, an affair is the ultimate act of betrayal and there is no coming back.
I see it as an easy way out of what is obviously a difficult situation.
Again, communication is key

Just because the marriage is "broken" does not give anyone the right to betray their partner in such a way.
If the marriage is over, it's over. I get that. But have the balls to tell your partner what the hell is going on before you go out and betray them.
Again, JMO

My wife and I have often gone stretches with no sex for 2 (or more) weeks at a time. Why?
Life.
New business, busy with kids, whatever, we both go to bed dog tired and just crash.
Dont mean the marriage is about to end

Technically, a sin is a sin and weighted equally. Cheating on your wife is no worse than any other act of betrayal or dishonesty.

Regardless, it’s about communication. That’s the real issue. It’s not the sex. Fact is that some people are married and have open relationships. So, their partner has sex with other people. It isn’t the sex, it’s the lack of their partner knowing.

Now, as far as the 2 week comment. It’s again about communication. Sometimes it’s a quick comment and recognition... the GF and I may give a quick kiss on the way to work and one of us says- we are off track. Or, we are slipping. The other agrees and we somehow make time to reconnect. The comment of 2 weeks is that I am not saying a relationship is broken, I’m saying the situation should be addressed.

Or, you can keep driving that car without oil and see how well the engine holds up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Awkward...

It never occurred to me to ask him. It turns out he was mad about that. I just found out recently, over 30 years later. So it obviously has had a big impact on our lives.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Awkward...

In my case, I asked. More out of respect for traditions, and also to him. But if the answer was "No", we would've gone ahead anyway.

At the time we got engaged, we had been dating for awhile (~7yrs). Early in the relationship, her parents were far from supportive; But by this point, it was all good.

He asked, "That's great! I will say it's about time. When's the wedding?"
Us, "Thinking about next year, maybe June."
Him, "Gee. Why wait so long?"
Me, "Well, I figure that would give me time to get to know your daughter."

And the rest is history.
Quote Reply
Re: Say you are cheating on your wife... [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I would say for anyone who is married. If you haven’t had sex in 2 DAYS, the conversation should already be on the table.

Fixed it for you, you're welcome.

oldandsore
Quote Reply
Re: Say you are cheating on your wife... [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

I would say for anyone who is married. If you haven’t had sex in 2 DAYS, the conversation should already be on the table.

Fixed it for you, you're welcome.

oldandsore

Awesome!
Quote Reply
Re: Say you are cheating on your wife... [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:

Technically, a sin is a sin and weighted equally. Cheating on your wife is no worse than any other act of betrayal or dishonesty.

Regardless, it’s about communication. That’s the real issue. It’s not the sex. Fact is that some people are married and have open relationships. So, their partner has sex with other people. It isn’t the sex, it’s the lack of their partner knowing.

This is only partly right. My first wife had 2 affairs 7 yrs apart. I can assure you that even if I had known before she had them, I would not have been okay with it. For me, sex is a very intimate interaction and an expression of the commitment my ex-wife and I made to each other. “Not knowing” may be part of it, but the biggest part is the betrayal by sharing what is meant to be an intimate expression of commitment with someone else. So, it IS most definitely about the sex, at least for me. If you want to have an open marriage, that’s fine, but you better both be on the same page about that and okay with it.

I would also take issue with your statement that cheating on your spouse is no worse than any other act of betrayal. It is. You are supposed to be able to trust your spouse’s commitments to you. The implications of spousal cheating are FAR, FAR greater than many acts of betrayal, such as spilling the beans about a minor, but embarrassing secret, or choosing to blow off an import event after promising to be there. There ARE degrees of betrayal and in my mind, cheating after promising before God and the world to forsake all others is at or near the top of that list.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Re: Say you are cheating on your wife... [Danno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Danno wrote:
jharris wrote:

This is only partly right. My first wife had 2 affairs 7 yrs apart. I can assure you that even if I had known before she had them, I would not have been okay with it. For me, sex is a very intimate interaction and an expression of the commitment my ex-wife and I made to each other. “Not knowing” may be part of it, but the biggest part is the betrayal by sharing what is meant to be an intimate expression of commitment with someone else. So, it IS most definitely about the sex, at least for me. If you want to have an open marriage, that’s fine, but you better both be on the same page about that and okay with it.

I would also take issue with your statement that cheating on your spouse is no worse than any other act of betrayal. It is. You are supposed to be able to trust your spouse’s commitments to you. The implications of spousal cheating are FAR, FAR greater than many acts of betrayal, such as spilling the beans about a minor, but embarrassing secret, or choosing to blow off an import event after promising to be there. There ARE degrees of betrayal and in my mind, cheating after promising before God and the world to forsake all others is at or near the top of that list.

A lot led up to those affairs. Don’t think what I said meant your wife simply says, “, Hey I’m gonna go have sex with someone else”. As if that’s ok. I didn’t say that. If sex isn’t happening in the relationship, then that’s a red flag. Talk to your spouse. Something is up. Affairs don’t just happen. That’s my point about communication.
Quote Reply

Prev Next