Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What does your paternity leave look like? [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slink wrote:
This topic has been discussed already quite recently, and you and I have very different politics.

I don’t care how much I pay for it over my life time. I think it’s important that parents have adequate time off from work to care for their children and can do so without stress of losing all their income. This time off should be available to everyone, not just the wealthy.

I pay a lot of tax and I like it.

Cool man. I'd like to take some time off, will you send me some money? I promise to spend the time with my kids.

And before you say something like, "it's not like that," it's very much like that only that there is a third party in the original transaction, one who skims some of the money to run the "program."

Last thing, I do think you care how much you pay for it, it's just that the amount you're paying now hasn't risen to a level that upsets you, but that level exists. My guess is you pay the taxes you owe, but not more. Why don't you pay extra taxes, being that you like paying them so much? They'll take more.
Quote Reply
Re: What does your paternity leave look like? [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do you care about my taxes?

Seriously. I was just answering the OP and for some reason you need to take a dump on the social system where I live. You don’t live here, so don’t worry you’re safe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slink wrote:

Seriously. I was just answering the OP and for some reason you need to take a dump on the social system where I live. You don’t live here, so don’t worry you’re safe.

I’m really dumping on your ignorant acceptance of the social system where you live, one which you have apparently thought little about and are unable to defend. But this isn’t about me or about you. I’m just making a point for the sake of discussion. You are free not to reply, unless your government mandates that you do. Should I tell my kids daddy has to work this weekend or are you going to subsidize my vacation with them? And if not, why not?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am happy with the system where I live. It doesn’t make me ignorant that I don’t agree with you.

You may need professional help. I’m not going to engage with you anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slink wrote:
I am happy with the system where I live. It doesn’t make me ignorant that I don’t agree with you.

So you’re not supplementing my vacation with my kids then?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
slink wrote:

So you’re not supplementing my vacation with my kids then?

Why would he? It sounds like he lives in a different country than you.
Quote Reply
Re: What does your paternity leave look like? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too... No workey no money. : )

Re: What does your paternity leave look like? [Pun_Times]
Duffy
Feb 27, 19 12:19
Views: 368
I’m self employed so...lol.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough,

Do you understand how your employment insurance program is funded, and the rules under which the proceeds are distributed?

Not sure how it is funded in slink’s country, but that is how it is funded in Canada.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: What does your paternity leave look like? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Fair enough,

Do you understand how your employment insurance program is funded, and the rules under which the proceeds are distributed?

Not sure how it is funded in slink’s country, but that is how it is funded in Canada.

Maurice

Fairly well. The government in the US doesn't fund maternity or paternity leave. There is insurance available for people who are fired without "just" cause and cannot find other employment. Employers pay into a pool for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
slink wrote:

I’m really dumping on your ignorant acceptance of the social system where you live, one which you have apparently thought little about and are unable to defend. But this isn’t about me or about you. I’m just making a point for the sake of discussion. You are free not to reply, unless your government mandates that you do. Should I tell my kids daddy has to work this weekend or are you going to subsidize my vacation with them? And if not, why not?

Why do you assume ignorance?

Just because people like the system they are in does not mean they have not thought about it or consider the alternatives. I married an American woman. Despite loving the weather in California where we lived, we decided to move back to Canada. One of the major decisions behind leaving California was healthcare. My wife’s mother was destitute from a series of major health issues. We both decided that this was not a system that we wanted to live in.

Now I understand why you might want to live in it, but don’t assume that people have not carefully considered their options. Your assumption of her ignorance is just you being a dick.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
Fair enough,

Maurice

Fairly well. The government in the US doesn't fund maternity or paternity leave. There is insurance available for people who are fired without "just" cause and cannot find other employment. Employers pay into a pool for that.

Does the employee not fund as well?

What is the % input at source (paycheque) employee vs employer?

Or is it just deducted as tax and then redistributed at the state level?

Is it a separate program?

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: What does your paternity leave look like? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Four months' paid leave, for mother or father.

That said, there's still this:

https://www.theonion.com/new-extended-paternity-leave-offers-dads-more-time-to-l-1819577964

Last edited by: AlanShearer: Feb 28, 19 10:56
Quote Reply
Re: What does your paternity leave look like? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
slink wrote:

Just because people like the system they are in does not mean they have not thought about it or consider the alternatives. I married an American woman. Despite loving the weather in California where we lived, we decided to move back to Canada. One of the major decisions behind leaving California was healthcare. My wife’s mother was destitute from a series of major health issues. We both decided that this was not a system that we wanted to live in.

Now I understand why you might want to live in it, but don’t assume that people have not carefully considered their options. Your assumption of her ignorance is just you being a dick.

What I said was slink has ignorantly accepted the social system where she (I'm going by your reference to slink as her, I have no idea) lives. I said that it appeared (to me) that she has thought little about it and was unable to defend it. I think I said those things pretty clearly if you'll read my comment again. I think that's a little different than saying she's ignorant as a global statement and contend that I didn't do that. I do think she accepts the system where she lives without having given it much thought. She was and still is free to address my comments and questions and show me that I'm wrong in my assessment of her.
Quote Reply
Re: What does your paternity leave look like? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
Fair enough,

Maurice

Does the employee not fund as well?

What is the % input at source (paycheque) employee vs employer?

Or is it just deducted as tax and then redistributed at the state level?

Is it a separate program?

Maurice

Usually paid by employer only and a combined fed/state program, I think

Here (I didn't really read these, BTW, but I think they'll answer your questions better than I can):
https://eligibility.com/...efit-funds-come-from
https://fairygodboss.com/...es-unemployment-work
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
slink wrote:

What I said was slink has ignorantly accepted the social system where she (I'm going by your reference to slink as her, I have no idea) lives. I said that it appeared (to me) that she has thought little about it and was unable to defend it. I think I said those things pretty clearly if you'll read my comment again. I think that's a little different than saying she's ignorant as a global statement and contend that I didn't do that. I do think she accepts the system where she lives without having given it much thought. She was and still is free to address my comments and questions and show me that I'm wrong in my assessment of her.

I have lived in a few different countries and work with a global team. The one pretty common thread among just about every nationality is why the US treats families and mothers so terribly. It’s pretty much a joke among people of other nationalities.

To call people who are happy with an alternative system ignorant and assume your worldview is the only worthy one is pretty much the definition of ignorance. We have terrible maternal health outcomes, terrible mental health outcomes but you are arguing with people that their system that has both higher satisfaction and better health outcomes is terrible and they are ignorant?

What are the merits of the US system in your mind?
Quote Reply
Re: What does your paternity leave look like? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
slink wrote:

I have lived in a few different countries and work with a global team. The one pretty common thread among just about every nationality is why the US treats families and mothers so terribly. It’s pretty much a joke among people of other nationalities.

To call people who are happy with an alternative system ignorant and assume your worldview is the only worthy one is pretty much the definition of ignorance. We have terrible maternal health outcomes, terrible mental health outcomes but you are arguing with people that their system that has both higher satisfaction and better health outcomes is terrible and they are ignorant?

What are the merits of the US system in your mind?

Are you suggesting maternal health outcomes would be better if there was government funded paternity leave? Because if not, I'm not sure what the relevance of mentioning "terrible maternal health outcomes" is.

The merit of the US system is freedom of choice and implementation of the free market. An employer can offer as much or as little paid leave as he wants and an employee can choose a job with the leave plan that suits him best depending on how important that is to him. But our government doesn't take money from our citizens and redistribute it to others for this benefit. As I'm for keeping as much of my money as I can and choosing to whom I'd like to give it and for what reasons I appreciate not having to pay a tax for paternity leave, or maternity leave for that matter. People should take care of themselves whenever possible, I think it's better to be independent than dependent, and this is a case where people should be able to manage without the government, IMO. Our government does require many employers to hold a job for up to 12 weeks for a mother or father after the birth of a child. I think that's more than enough government interference and people should take care of the money side of things themselves.
Quote Reply

Prev Next