Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tell me about your job, but only if you like it and it meets the following stipulations... [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
Every day on any mindless work gets really old. I've had a few of these kinds of jobs.

This x1000

I had summer jobs that were mindless. i.e. I had to stuff envelopes for some academic survey for two weeks. I could do it by myself, when I felt like it. The first day was fine. By the second day I was daydreaming about doing anything else.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your job, but only if you like it and it meets the following stipulations... [STJ_2028] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spent 2 summers driving a fork lift on a loading dock. It was shift work, but for someone with 1/2 a brain that can keep things organized it was great. I was pursuing an engineering degree at the time and possessed 2/3 of the brain power in a crew of 20.

Work night shifts monday, tuesday, thrusday, friday 10 hrs each, with union protection making over time at 8 hours.

Its colder than a witches tit on the dock in the winter however.

Spent a summer working at a marina on a very large lake in the metro, paid dirt but it was fun as hell. Customer service work, but it was people out having fun.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your job, but only if you like it and it meets the following stipulations... [STJ_2028] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Tenured* Professor.

* meaning you have to get through school, grad-school, post-doc, and the publish or perish phase of academia... but then when you've got tenure, you can just sit back. Had a prof that made his name in STEM field, then when tenured went all religious and didn't do any STEM work (or much of any work) for years before officially retiring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
POTUS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  Bicycle messenger. Retired now. It was a second career as well as a second childhood. Pay was modest with some bumps, bruising and broken bones to be expected during a break-in period.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a friend who spent a winter caretaking a lodge in the Brooks Range in Alaska. 24 hrs of darkness for a lot of it. Only company was a couple of dogs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Art Handler at a Museum

Actually a real job/role. They're the guys (or gals) that setup and break down a museum's curated exhibitions, as well as handling and prepping art pieces for transport (to/from loan). For obvious reasons, there's a skill (trainable) to knowing how to handle art. The AHs we've known happen to be artists themselves, and use the job to support themselves (but being an artist is not a pre-requisite to do the job).

I suppose, working for a moving company would also fit the bill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  1. "Absolutely no sales, marketing, or self-promotion (especially no selling anything that has been bought or processed)"

Was that a deliberate reference to John Cusack in Say Anything?

"I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed."

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your job, but only if you like it and it meets the following stipulations... [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boom! Kickboxer!

takes training I suppose
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your job, but only if you like it and it meets the following stipulations... [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be a great place to work if we could get rid of the hired help and customers. Sounds like OP is looking for the unicorn wrangler position.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your job, but only if you like it and it meets the following stipulations... [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
  1. "Absolutely no sales, marketing, or self-promotion (especially no selling anything that has been bought or processed)"

Was that a deliberate reference to John Cusack in Say Anything?

"I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed."

YES, I'm amazed that it took until post #33 to get a comment on that!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
STJ_2028 wrote:
The title pretty much sums it up on this one. I'm not sure anything like this exists, but if it does I'm certain the LR will know about it! Here are the stipulations for the types of jobs I'm interested in hearing about:

1. Enjoyable, non-stressful - something you would be fine with doing even if you didn't need the money from doing it
  2. You know that feeling you get when you're watching Office Space and you get to the part when Peter is working construction? Something that makes you feel like that.
  3. Doesn't require an extraordinary amount of brain power, training, or skills; or, if training/skills are required, they're reasonably attainable and not overly time-consuming
  4. Lots of flexibility with time
  5. Absolutely no sales, marketing, or self-promotion (especially no selling anything that has been bought or processed)
  6. No travel
  7. Nothing customer service-related
  8. Very little time spent talking on the phone
  9. No more than a reasonable (or even slightly less than reasonable) amount of time spent dealing with people, in general

I think that about sums it up, thanks!

Zoo keeper ticks many of the criteria, assuming you're someone who has a strong interest in animals. If that's you, the necessary training, skills and knowledge comes pretty easily.

Admittedly the hours and days are on a set roster, so there isn't flexibility regarding time.

The job occasionally presents travel opportunities if you want to pursue them (eg field work), but it's not usually mandatory.
Quote Reply

Prev Next