Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

29 year old goes from bartender to managing 1 million dollar payroll
Quote | Reply
This stems from reading the AOC thread.

A rookie congressperson has a budget of about a million dollars for office and staff. You will probably have to hire 15-20 people. In many cases these people have little business experience. Hopefully they hire a good manager to do the managing but how the heck are they supposed to know if money is well spent. One story about AOC said she has yet to open a constituency office.

Not only that they are representing something like 800,000 people. How are you supposed to be "close to the people" I guess you do polls. Polls are not easy to interpret though.

Contrast to other democracies. Canada and Britain the average rep has about 80,000 people.

Are Americans underrepresented?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: 29 year old goes from bartender to managing 1 million dollar payroll [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would argue that you have to look at what is the current bar...Trump's shitshow with (three chiefs of staff in less than 2 years) hardly sets the bar for management excellence...and this is coming from the self appointed "greatest businessman and political mind ever"
Quote Reply
Re: 29 year old goes from bartender to managing 1 million dollar payroll [gasman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The question wasn't about Trump, but congratulations it took exactly one post for you to make it about Trump.
#TDSisreal

I miss YaHey
Last edited by: Justgeorge: Feb 25, 19 10:59
Quote Reply
Re: 29 year old goes from bartender to managing 1 million dollar payroll [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No the question was about representative democracies ... and the implication was that business people are better financial stewards in my cursory reading of the post. My point is that premise is highly flawed in individual cases. So if you want to debate representative democracies we can go down that rabbit hole. I do think AOC holds a lot of the upper hand here in the argument as compared to more traditional politicians in regards to who are beholden to k street.
Quote Reply
Re: 29 year old goes from bartender to managing 1 million dollar payroll [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about being underrepresented but being a new congress critter would take some getting used to. And it would best be accomplished by asking for help and having a mentor. Both of those things take some humility. Not all new congress critters have much of that.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Are Americans underrepresented?

It depends.

The single Wyoming rep represents 586k people. The two Wyoming senators represent only 273k people.
The 53 Californian reps represent 746k people each. The two Californian senators represent 19.8M people.
In the New Hampshire state house, each representative represents 3000 people!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say no for the simple reason we don't need more politicians mooching off the system making 175K a year from our tax dollars and getting fat pensions and good healthcare.

I could do with fewer politicians. In the future we could just do away with all politicians and have a complete democracy where we put every issue to a vote. Surely we could come up with technology to have a simple (Text "yes" for this proposal, and text "no" for this proposal, everyone in the country gets a vote). Anyone in the country can submit a proposal for voting. Might have to clean up hacking issues to make it trustworthy but we can figure that out by 2035 or so surely.

Drain the swamp eh?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this in some way different than any other congresspeople?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: 29 year old goes from bartender to managing 1 million dollar payroll [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

was about to ask the same thing.

tell me what i'm supposed to be angry about, len!

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have zero idea how this works but it seems to me to not be a very effective use of a congressman's time to be managing staff. Seems like you would hire a chief of staff/office manager type person who would oversee the vast majority of this stuff?
Quote Reply
Re: 29 year old goes from bartender to managing 1 million dollar payroll [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
Duffy wrote:

The AOC thing was only the hook. The idea is, is it working for a congressperson (CP) to represent 800 K people. One of the problems is money in politics. This problem seems to be intractable. With the supreme court ruling that corps are people it seems like any effort to reduce the disproportion influence money has on CPs is doomed. CPs also spend on average 3 hours a day fundraising. They have to to have the money to run ads and expensive campaigns to get elected. They also will tell you that they have to give access to people who will donate big dollars vs ordinary constituents.

But what if each CP had a district of 80K people like in the UK and Canada? Campaigning would be more affordable. CPs would be closer to their voters. And it could be done without costing the gov't more money. Right now a CP gets 174K plus average 1.3 million for office expenses and travel. . But you could take the office expenses and use them to pay more CPs. You could for instance have 5 CPs each representing 150K people and each give them 250 K for office expenses and travel. Or you could go all the way and have 10 CPs and double the cost. The cost of CPs is a minor fraction of the cost of gov't. If they save 1 percent of the federal budget they would pay for themselves several times over.

There are some practical issues like where would you seat 2000 CPs in congress. But surely there is a tech fix for that. Some might argue that they cannot see 2000 people getting the work done efficiently. But I would argue the 435 people is way too many to get things done efficiently anyway.

Last edited by: len: Feb 26, 19 5:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
Duffy wrote:

The AOC thing was only the hook.

i think you actually have to pay BK royalties for using that move.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: 29 year old goes from bartender to managing 1 million dollar payroll [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
I say no for the simple reason we don't need more politicians mooching off the system making 175K a year from our tax dollars and getting fat pensions and good healthcare.

I could do with fewer politicians. In the future we could just do away with all politicians and have a complete democracy where we put every issue to a vote. Surely we could come up with technology to have a simple (Text "yes" for this proposal, and text "no" for this proposal, everyone in the country gets a vote). Anyone in the country can submit a proposal for voting. Might have to clean up hacking issues to make it trustworthy but we can figure that out by 2035 or so surely.

Drain the swamp eh?

Mob vote rules isn't the answer either. When a tiny locations like New York or Los Angeles has so many votes compared to entire states, it is only natural that the power will gravitate to those tiny locations and rule the country by ruling those cities. I for one would not advocate that, despite the obvious problems with our current system.
Quote Reply
Re: 29 year old goes from bartender to managing 1 million dollar payroll [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL.

Quote Reply
Re: 29 year old goes from bartender to managing 1 million dollar payroll [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vecchia capra wrote:
ACE wrote:

Drain the swamp eh?

Mob vote rules isn't the answer either. When a tiny locations like New York or Los Angeles has so many votes compared to entire states, it is only natural that the power will gravitate to those tiny locations and rule the country by ruling those cities. I for one would not advocate that, despite the obvious problems with our current system.

Why does the physical size matter here? Shouldn't each vote count the same?
Quote Reply
Re: 29 year old goes from bartender to managing 1 million dollar payroll [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
vecchia capra wrote:
ACE wrote:

Drain the swamp eh?

Why does the physical size matter here? Shouldn't each vote count the same?

Well what about if they were tiny people? Do the people in the movie Downsizing still count as a full vote?

Can't quite figure out what VC is going for here. Does it just frustrate you that the big wide open spaces with no people don't get to rule the country?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: 29 year old goes from bartender to managing 1 million dollar payroll [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is already mob rule. California has 53 reps and seven states have only one. It changes little if California goes to 100. The small states are already swamped. Besides distribution of reps in the Senate addresses the mob rule problem.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
It is already mob rule. California has 53 reps and seven states have only one. It changes little if California goes to 100. The small states are already swamped. Besides distribution of reps in the Senate addresses the mob rule problem.

So minority rule is not a problem?
Quote Reply