Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Men only draft registration declared unconstitutional.... [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
Women want equality.

No they don’t.

Well they do until they don’t.

I'll add that I don't think that requiring registration of women means the military has to treat women exactly the same as men throughout the service?

E.g. when it comes to do call-ups for infantry, they can go to men first?

But say if it gets so bad that Duffy and I are fighting house-by-house against the Canadians in Santa Barbara, then it's time to bring on the women.
Quote Reply
Re: Men only draft registration declared unconstitutional.... [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
JSA wrote:
len wrote:
vecchia capra wrote:
Nova wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Seems like Vietnam effectively did away with the draft anyway.

Until the next big conflict, war, whatever.

I think woman should register. Actually, I think everyone should serve at least 2 years.
'

Other countries have mandatory service, but it would be impractical in the US due to the population size. In 2015 the number of 18 year old people was 4 million when the total size of the military was about 2 million (active and reserves).

Does size matter? I mean other countries have less people to have in mandatory service but they have less population to support those numbers. And they are spending a smaller proportion of their gdp to support military. On a per capita basis the US shouldn't have much more than those other countries.

Maybe it could be done at the state level like national guard?

Having said that it ain't gonna happen.

It could be done at the Guard and Reserve level and that would make much more sense for the US. Again, keep in mind, for medical reasons, huge number of those individuals in that age group would be exempted. Then you have others who could not pass basic physical fitness standards would be dismissed.

So wants the point of making every one serve, if hardly anyone ends up serving?

Especially as there often seems to be a general sense of this will whip them into "shape", teach them discipline, etc. Yet a lot of the ones that might benefit from that would be exempt.

Therein lies the problem and the reason why it will never happen.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Men only draft registration declared unconstitutional.... [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
Women want equality.

No they don’t.

I'll add that I don't think that requiring registration of women means the military has to treat women exactly the same as men throughout the service?

But say if it gets so bad that Duffy and I are fighting house-by-house against the Canadians in Santa Barbara, then it's time to bring on the women.

Only if they’re hot.

Death to Canada!

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Men only draft registration declared unconstitutional.... [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
JSA wrote:
len wrote:
vecchia capra wrote:
Nova wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Seems like Vietnam effectively did away with the draft anyway.

Until the next big conflict, war, whatever.

I think woman should register. Actually, I think everyone should serve at least 2 years.
'

Other countries have mandatory service, but it would be impractical in the US due to the population size. In 2015 the number of 18 year old people was 4 million when the total size of the military was about 2 million (active and reserves).

Does size matter? I mean other countries have less people to have in mandatory service but they have less population to support those numbers. And they are spending a smaller proportion of their gdp to support military. On a per capita basis the US shouldn't have much more than those other countries.

Maybe it could be done at the state level like national guard?

Having said that it ain't gonna happen.

It could be done at the Guard and Reserve level and that would make much more sense for the US. Again, keep in mind, for medical reasons, huge number of those individuals in that age group would be exempted. Then you have others who could not pass basic physical fitness standards would be dismissed.

So wants the point of making every one serve, if hardly anyone ends up serving?

Especially as there often seems to be a general sense of this will whip them into "shape", teach them discipline, etc. Yet a lot of the ones that might benefit from that would be exempt.

Therein lies the problem and the reason why it will never happen.

If you are going to make a national service kind of thing work we may need to come up with something even worse than military service to keep people from getting out of it simply by eating too many donuts.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Men only draft registration declared unconstitutional.... [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
Women want equality.

No they don’t.

If women want equality then they will charge that machine gun nest together with men.
As far as Santa Barbara, we will bring our Maple syrup for you to get stuck in it :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next