Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Foldable cell phones, is there a market?
Quote | Reply
First Samsung with their nearly $2k model and now Huawei with their $2600 model. Clearly there were plenty of nutters out there to support a $1k iPhone, but will there be enough double nutters to pay premium laptop prices for a phone? Cool tech, but $2k+? Or am I just a cheap bastard?
Quote Reply
Re: Foldable cell phones, is there a market? [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks cool. I would not pay that much for a phone.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if they can do a flexible radius edge like that, how soon till we have screen on a roller that you can pull out to a 7x14 inch tablet sized screen to watch movies on.
Quote Reply
Re: Foldable cell phones, is there a market? [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
if they can do a flexible radius edge like that, how soon till we have screen on a roller that you can pull out to a 7x14 inch tablet sized screen to watch movies on.

Well, this year you will be able to buy this. Notquittablet, but large sound bar.

https://www.cnbc.com/...ching-this-year.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At current prices I think a tablet with a wireless plan makes more sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely a market, I doubt they'll sell many at $2k but I'm sure the price will come down quickly as it always does on these things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy shit. And here I am deliberating over whether or not to spend the equivalent of $250 to upgrade my 3.5 year old iPhone 6S with the new Google Pixel 3. Don’t know if it’s worth it. The value people get out of $1k+ phones is beyond my comprehension.

tigermilk wrote:
First Samsung with their nearly $2k model and now Huawei with their $2600 model. Clearly there were plenty of nutters out there to support a $1k iPhone, but will there be enough double nutters to pay premium laptop prices for a phone? Cool tech, but $2k+? Or am I just a cheap bastard?
Quote Reply
Re: Foldable cell phones, is there a market? [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Holy shit. And here I am deliberating over whether or not to spend the equivalent of $250 to upgrade my 3.5 year old iPhone 6S with the new Google Pixel 3. Don’t know if it’s worth it. The value people get out of $1k+ phones is beyond my comprehension.

tigermilk wrote:

Why would you go to Android after an iPhone?

Why not just get an X
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Folding screens... a solution to a problem that does not exist?

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Foldable cell phones, is there a market? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:

Why not just get an X

That's like asking why would you go to Ferrari after Fiat.
Quote Reply
Re: Foldable cell phones, is there a market? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apple is fantastic and I’ve stuck with it for the last 9 years because I’ve always used Apple & staying within the ecosystem was easy with on board music & downloading podcasts. Now I use Spotify exclusively with the phone, so there’s no need to keep an Apple phone. I already use a bunch of Google serviced, so Pixel is a native Android experience, has a superior camera, far better pricing with the current deal, unlimited photo back up including the JPGs I move wirelessly from my good camera to the phone. With everything I use on iPhone being available in the cloud and in apps, there’s no loss by moving across platforms. Different story if I wanted to use a wearable device, but I have zero interest in that. Pixel’s security is strong & it’s not packaged with the weird buggy Samsung stuff, so it seems worth a try. Easy enough to sell or trade it for an iPhone if it sucks.

jharris wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

tigermilk wrote:

Why not just get an X
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess its the next "thing". However, I'll wait until they drop in price before I buy one...if I need one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fold-able roll-able OLED screens will be de rigueur before long. The tech has been around for a while and technically should be cheaper to produce than LED screens.
Quote Reply
Re: Foldable cell phones, is there a market? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:

Yeah, I was on my iPad the other night and thought, “if only I fold this thing...”

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:

I don't know I have a huge case on mine now for drop protection, and they do get scratched in my pocket if I had a flip phone like device that was all screen on the inside it would be great.

And in 5-10 yrs I will.

Tech keeps advancing, sure its $2k now but it will drop in price, if they get it functional.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Foldable cell phones, is there a market? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Guffaw wrote:

I don't know I have a huge case on mine now for drop protection, and they do get scratched in my pocket if I had a flip phone like device that was all screen on the inside it would be great.

And in 5-10 yrs I will.

Tech keeps advancing, sure its $2k now but it will drop in price, if they get it functional.

So what is a reasonable price point? It's 2k now and the price will drop, but do you really expect it to ever get below say $1500. It seems phones just keep going up. Even now an IphoneX is not really coming down in price. They may drop some,but now that the $1000 price point has been surpassed, will it ever come back? Heck, I don't know what I will do next time I need a new phone as I'm not willing to pay $1000 for a phone. And soon there will not be many reasonable options. (FWIW, I currently have a Galaxy 8)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't pay that much for a phone, but I'd love to be able to have the ability to unfold my phone and have a bigger screen when I need it. I currently take a mini iPad to conferences, seminars, etc where I'll be sitting in an audience and want to take notes. This could remove the extra device, which is a hassle to carry around but much better than taking notes on a phone alone. I use OneNote, which allows you more than just straight text. I'd also use it on planes when watching movies.
Quote Reply
Re: Foldable cell phones, is there a market? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
jharris wrote:

Why not just get an X

That's like asking why would you go to Ferrari after Fiat.

This. I traded iPhones for android around Nexus 4/5. Haven't looked back. Now have a pixel 2 which I love. When I use my wife's iPhone, it just feels off.

That being said I'm still an imac user, since the early 2000's.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:

There is a lot of that going around. Walls? Folding screens? Same- same. Cost? No worries!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is where the market may evolve. Apple is reputedly working on a foldable iPhone (Link) and Microsoft rumours abound around a new Surface phone that is foldable, under the code name Andromeda.

Personally, I wouldn't pay $2k+ for one, but if it could replace my current Surface and phone with one unit that had outstanding battery life and wireless projection, I'd buy it...
Quote Reply