Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Food Trend: "Intuitive Eating"
Quote | Reply
A long article from The Atlantic here:

short version is, diets don't work. People are still overweight and have all kinds of food-based anxiety and disorders to boot.

Eating intuitively won't make you lose weight, but it will take away the angst and stigma around food. The idea being, if you can eat as much pizza as you want whenever you want, you'll eventually stop gorging on pizza. You will also learn to listen to your body and are likely to eat better as a result.

It sounds like the argument for legalising drugs. I don't think it will work for most people, but might help some.
Quote Reply
Re: New Food Trend: "Intuitive Eating" [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The idea being, if you can eat as much pizza as you want whenever you want, you'll eventually stop gorging on pizza

That’s absurd.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does not work. I have been eating too much chocolate for years and I still haven't have enough,

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: New Food Trend: "Intuitive Eating" [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with Duffy, I've eaten more than my share of pizza more than once and still love the stuff.

Now eating so much that you throw up said food... that can work wonders. Had a bad incident with Bing cherries when I was pregnant (didn't over eat, just bad timing of eating cherries and getting hit with mid-afternoon morning sickness) and it took many, many years before I could eat them again.

Try not to drown / rock the bike / hobby-jog
Quote Reply
Re: New Food Trend: "Intuitive Eating" [N+1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That works with tequila as well.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Food Trend: "Intuitive Eating" [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
The idea being, if you can eat as much pizza as you want whenever you want, you'll eventually stop gorging on pizza

That’s absurd.

I agree, pure horseshit. Otherwise I'd eat lunch at 5 Guys every day. And I know I would never stop until my heart exploded.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: New Food Trend: "Intuitive Eating" [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Quote:

That’s absurd.

I agree, pure horseshit. Otherwise I'd eat lunch at 5 Guys every day. And I know I would never stop until my heart exploded.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: New Food Trend: "Intuitive Eating" [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TiDriver wrote:

Agreed. It works really well with tequila shots. That’s why god invented margarita’s

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
N+1 wrote:
Had a bad incident with Bing cherries when I was pregnant (didn't over eat, just bad timing of eating cherries and getting hit with mid-afternoon morning sickness) and it took many, many years before I could eat them again.

me too, a combo of black grapes and untreated water. I couldn't look at grapes for years.

weird that that reflex doesn't seem to work when you purge yourself
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope no one is buying this.

I have had times in my life where I did just what they suggest, what happened was I put on 30 pounds. I never got tired of pizza, burgers and candy. Food that is bad for you tastes really good, at least to me. I could gorge on pizza one night and by the next night I am ready to go again.
Quote Reply
Re: New Food Trend: "Intuitive Eating" [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope no one is buying this.

Don't worry. Diet fads rarely happen.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
weird that that reflex doesn't seem to work when you purge yourself

Oh, I still wanted to eat them. I'd see them in the store and would buy a bag, but it took a long time before one actually made it into my mouth. Threw away pounds of uneaten cherries.

Haven't ever purged myself, but would think when the body throws a big ol' FU fit over what you ate affects you more than when you elect to do it to yourself.

Try not to drown / rock the bike / hobby-jog
Quote Reply
Re: New Food Trend: "Intuitive Eating" [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
TiDriver wrote:

Agreed. It works really well with tequila shots. That’s why god invented margarita’s

If you only get sick on Tequila it works. But in College after I had gotten sick on about 8-10 different alcohols, you just accept that you have to drink something and get over your aversion to alcohol.

This idea (Intuitive eating) is very stupid.... And probably very harmful as well.
Quote Reply
Re: New Food Trend: "Intuitive Eating" [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Quote:

That’s absurd.

I'm with you on 5 Guys! Delicious burgers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-- and Salty Dog/ grapefruit juice ---- shhhuuudddeerr

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Had a bad incident with Bing cherries

Hurricanes at Pat O'Brien's little over thirty years ago. Haven't had one since.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
A long article from The Atlantic here:

short version is, diets don't work. People are still overweight and have all kinds of food-based anxiety and disorders to boot.

Eating intuitively won't make you lose weight, but it will take away the angst and stigma around food. The idea being, if you can eat as much pizza as you want whenever you want, you'll eventually stop gorging on pizza. You will also learn to listen to your body and are likely to eat better as a result.

It sounds like the argument for legalising drugs. I don't think it will work for most people, but might help some.

I heard about (caveat: have never found or read) a study about feeding rats.

Feed rats a diet of pure fats and they will find a self limiting point at which they will just stop eating.

Feed them a diet of pure sugar and the same thing happens.

Feed them a mixture of sugar and fats, and there is no self limiting point. They will just keep eating. And eating. And eating.

Either that study’s wrong, or the article in the news paper is. Based on my experiences with Krispy Kremes, I know where my money is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think people are already eating what they want, when they want, and as much as they want. That's why our society is so overweight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TiDriver wrote:

Also works with vodka and orange juice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TiDriver wrote:

Interesting. I stayed away from tequila in my first trimester when I projectile vomited like a champ.

I think there is something to the intuitive eating if you scratch past the surface and think about the nutrients your body is craving. When I start craving cheeseburgers I take an Iron Supplement and it largely goes away (I have a history of anemia - so if I want more than one cheeseburger in a week I figure my iron is low- always stops the craving). Chocolate craving is a sign of magnesium deficiency. Occasionally I get lazy and stop taking my supplement and when the chocolate craving kicks in it’s the kick in the pants I need - if I want a bit it’s okay but if it’s insatiable I figure something is up. So, I o think your body lets you know what it needs. Need to poop- go eat lots of raw veggies.

I just since there is a bit of an art to learning to listen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I call BS. I agree somewhat with not worrying about quantity or frequency. But, at least personally, food quality is absolutely critical. Though I'm talking about getting from like 11% to 9% bodyfat for races, not dealing with obesity.

But the way I lose those last 2-3 lbs. of fat is by eating high quality food, mostly unprocessed, at least half vegetables.
Quote Reply