Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What do you know about Whisky rims?
Quote | Reply
I am looking at their No.9 30D to build up a set of gravel wheels. Anyone has experience with their rims/wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: What do you know about Whisky rims? [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about the specific ones you're looking at, but I bought a Salsa Fat bike ~4 yrs ago that came with 70w Whisky 9 rims. I set them up tubeless right away and have never had a single problem with them. Granted, I have lots of tire and tons of air volume protecting them... But, I beat the crap out of that bike on trails, commuting, I purposely hit every curb, pothole, and root, I even did an Ironman on it. I even cracked my carbon frame (seat tube and seat stay) from hitting a tree once (and had the carbon repaired), and never thought twice about my wheels/rims. The rims are light (relative to my alternative anyways) and they have performed flawlessly for me. Would definitely buy again!
Quote Reply
Re: What do you know about Whisky rims? [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did not know they made wheels. I have their bottle cages on my Omni and they are outstanding
Quote Reply
Re: What do you know about Whisky rims? [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping this old thread to see if anyone else has input. Need to grab a set of wheels for my new ride and considering building these if they're worth it.

Also, considering they only come as a rim and need to be built up, what extra costs should I estimate for two hubs, two sets of spokes, the build etc. What kind of hubs should I consider since it would be a clean slate. Never done this before, but I like their stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you know about Whisky rims? [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you looked at Reynolds wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: What do you know about Whisky rims? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Have you looked at Reynolds wheels?

I'm familiar with Reynolds, yes. Why do you ask?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What type of bike do you need wheels for... road, gravel, or mountain?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What type of bike do you need wheels for... road, gravel, or mountain?

Tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Approximately how deep do you want the rims to be?

Disc brake or rim brake?

What type of freehub body do you want?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
40-60mm deep is fine with me. Looking for a solid every day training wheel that I can also use on race day. Don't want to break the bank.

Disc Brake

I know zero about free hubs, hence the questions in my first post.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful for your willingness to respond and help me, but do you have any information on my original questions? Do you know anything about the Whisky wheels?

I have some other whisky stuff, and I like their company. The wheels come in at <$900 for a 50mm dish. Depending on hub, spoke, and other costs I was thinking this could be a decent option to build up. And again, I like the brand, so theres that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The wheels come in at <$900 for a 50mm dish. Depending on hub, spoke, and other costs I was thinking this could be a decent option to build up. "

Are you saying that two rims would be less than $900 ?

Or would a pair of complete wheels would be less than $900 ?

A freehub body is what your cassette attaches to the rear wheel. Which cassette will you be using?
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Oct 13, 20 22:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
"The wheels come in at <$900 for a 50mm dish. Depending on hub, spoke, and other costs I was thinking this could be a decent option to build up. "

Are you saying that two rims would be less than $900 ?

Or would a pair of complete wheels would be less than $900 ?

A freehub body is what your cassette attaches to the rear wheel. Which cassette will you be using?

Rims alone. Each rim is available for $440 online. Then need to price out hubs, spokes, etc.

Im familiar with what the freehubs are, I just have no earthly clue where to start with picking one.

Cassette? Ive been using 11-28 and 12-25 over the past few years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What brand of cassette will you be using?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What brand of cassette will you be using?

Shimano.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you are using a Shimano cassette, you would need a Shimano freehub body on your new wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just sent you a private message.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice rims, but basically getting a nextie grade product for 2x the price with some warranty support. nothing wrong with nextie stuff, I've had or still own 10-12 sets of wheels with their rims and never had an issue.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply