Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Peter Tork takes the Last Train to Clarksville - RIP
Quote | Reply
77 years old. Used to watch the Monkees' TV show when I was a kid.

Story here.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Tork takes the Last Train to Clarksville - RIP [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THE MONKEES OUTSOLD THE BEATLES AND THE ROLLING STONES IN 1967.
Yes, you read that correctly. In 1967, the year of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, Between the Buttons, and Their Satanic Majesties Request, the Monkees outsold The Beatles and The Rolling Stones - combined.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/66101/11-things-you-might-not-know-about-monkees

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Tork takes the Last Train to Clarksville - RIP [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was at the perfect age when this show came on, about 11. Not surprised they outsold The Beatles and stones that year, my generation was right in the sweet spot for the Monkey's music, and we had no idea they were really not the authors!!!

Thankfully I shortly moved over to those other two groups, and many more in the late 60's, but those old tunes are still pretty catchy when you hear them occasionally.

RIP Peter, you created more good memories than you could ever imagine...
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Tork takes the Last Train to Clarksville - RIP [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit younger than you old salts, I had to watch the Monkees vie re-run on TBS as a kid in the 70's, even then that show drew laughter.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too bad. There songs still have a good beat and are easy to dance too. ;)

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Tork takes the Last Train to Clarksville - RIP [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I was at the perfect age when this show came on, about 11. Not surprised they outsold The Beatles and stones that year, my generation was right in the sweet spot for the Monkey's music, and we had no idea they were really not the authors!!!

Thankfully I shortly moved over to those other two groups, and many more in the late 60's, but those old tunes are still pretty catchy when you hear them occasionally.

RIP Peter, you created more good memories than you could ever imagine...

I was 7 years old when they were really big in 1967, and I had a Revell-produced Monkeemobile model car that took my dad and I a week to build using that old Testor airplane glue that pretty much gave you hallucinations if you inhaled the fumes too deeply. Heh. Didn't Don Barris design that car?

To me, they were the coolest thing on television that year. I think Neil Diamond was one of their songwriters, correct?

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Tork takes the Last Train to Clarksville - RIP [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct. Neil Diamond wrote A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You and I'm a Believer

I was a big fan of the reruns as a kid. Still enjoy hearing their stuff today. RIP Peter.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used to watch reruns of their show in the 1970s all the time. RIP Peter.

Quote | Reply
Because of their house I have always wanted a spiral staircase. The AirBnB we rented in Rome in December had one.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply