Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Catholics - how do you deal with this stuff [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
I believe when referring to the ROT post VII he was talking about the most recent troubles and the present issues the church is suffering. The RC church has had many many historically bad times, but that happens to an organization that has been around 2000 yrs. I agree with him, this recent one really accelerated with VII.
My view is different. The clergy has been celibate for almost 900 years. Therefore it is likely that the specific sin of predation has been going on since that time; and was easier to get away with the further back you go, so maybe even worse than it has been in our lifetimes.

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Re: Catholics - how do you deal with this stuff [ergopower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ergopower wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
I believe when referring to the ROT post VII he was talking about the most recent troubles and the present issues the church is suffering. The RC church has had many many historically bad times, but that happens to an organization that has been around 2000 yrs. I agree with him, this recent one really accelerated with VII.
My view is different. The clergy has been celibate for almost 900 years. Therefore it is likely that the specific sin of predation has been going on since that time; and was easier to get away with the further back you go, so maybe even worse than it has been in our lifetimes.

This should have been your post instead of the drivel about Crusades.

Due to social mores and the Church's role I disagree with your assessment but at least this was an on topic post
Quote Reply
Re: Catholics - how do you deal with this stuff [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
Jim @ LOTO, MO wrote:
I abhor all of the scandalous behavior, but the vast majority of Catholics and clergy I’ve come to know from attending Catholic grade school, high school and several parishes during my many years of adulthood are good, decent, charitable people. You can find bad people in every institution of modern society.

You'll find significantly more child molestation occurs within families than at the hands of priests. You should also be able to trust family members more than priests.

So if we're going to burn down the churches and stop priests being near kids, we better also stop people having children in general, because they're at greater risk from their own family.

So we're going with the "bad apples" defense and whataboutism. Got it.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Catholics - how do you deal with this stuff [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
windywave wrote:
ripple wrote:
Wrong-o.

You basically regurgitated the anti-papist spiel of Baptists and Evangelicals.

I thought the same thing. Don't think I have ever met a catholic who is not Christian... really not even sure how that is possible, but eh it religion, everyone even the atheist get all weird about it.
The RC church is full of non-Christians, including a small percentage of those that are supposed to be delivering the word on Sundays. Or Saturday evenings - you know whatever is more convenient for you.

Getting baptized as a baby. going to CCD, following "the plan" and blindly participating in confirmation doesn't make one a Christian.

It's OK if you don't understand that. I didn't understand it until well into adulthood myself.
Quote Reply
Re: Catholics - how do you deal with this stuff [noskcaj46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noskcaj46 wrote:
I am what you call a cradle Catholic. Baptized as a baby, religion class on Wednesday nights growing up through elementary school, Confirmation in 8th grade. I continued going to church through college off and on, married a Non-Catholic but we had a Catholic Ceremony because I'm Catholic so that's what you do. We adopted two children and Catholic Social Services was the agency that helped us.

As a child I didn't feel I had choices - everyone was Catholic. That was all I knew.

As a young woman I did not pay attention to the sexual abuse scandals and research on my own. I buried my head and went to church but it was always hanging over my head as a Catholic. I felt shame being a Catholic after the scandals of 2003 but in Church we would hear "it's not easy being a Catholic Christian. It's not supposed to be easy" etc. I told myself I was being faithful, that I wasn't the bad guy. I prayed for the church. I really had no idea the extent of the abuse because like I said I didn't read any of the reports myself.

Adopting my children through Catholic Social Services I felt that I owed it to the church to raise the kids Catholic. No one ever suggested this to me, it was a feeling I created in myself. I saw the good the church/branches of the church can do and the kind, generous spirit of those working behind the scenes. That was enough.

The last 8-10 years since becoming a mom I have had the hardest time. I noticed I was not comfortable leaving my own kids for religion class (the way I grew up). I volunteered to teach for a while and eventually I just quit sending them. Issues that are more specific to our local church weighed heavy on my mind as just being wrong. A few examples - during the last election a retired priest gave a sermon trying to influence voters by stating that we should vote our "Catholic Conscience" or we are committing a sin and can not take communion until we go to confession. Another incident, A well liked priest was discovered to be having a relationship with a woman. He was forced to leave the priesthood and the Bishop wrote a shaming letter to all the local parishes that was read aloud during mass. It contained more details than I needed to know and there was no forgiveness in the letter, no hope and prayers for his well being. The whole time I'm thinking he gets shamed yet all these child molesters nothing is said?

The last 2 years I have seriously struggled. I told myself that I like my church family - the people I go to mass with. That I will probably never like every single thing from every church but at least as a family we have a place to go.

When the Pennsylvania Grand Jury reports came out I didn't bury my head anymore. I read the report. I was/am disgusted and revolted. I went to church the Sunday after I read the report praying for guidance and looking for signs, words, prayers, anything. That Sunday happened to be the church's planned campaign for a new building. The Bishops recorded speech to address the Grand Jury report was pushed aside to talk about how much money we should plan to give to the building fund. No prayers were said for victims of abuse. The next Sunday I went by myself to listen to the recorded speech. Our priest played the recording and did not say another word about it. Again no prayers for victims of abuse which to me translates as not taking any ownership, not showing remorse, ignoring it. It's someone else's problem but it's like our local parishes don't realize that we all carry the shame.

Personally I can't ignore it anymore and I can no longer call myself devout but that is an explanation of how I could deal with that stuff for so long.

A lot of this sounds familiar. I was born and raised Catholic and lately my wife and I have been trying to go but its hard with all that has happened, many dioceses near us have declared bankruptcy because of the abuses. We have even spoken about going to a different Church but it just seems, weird and not right, darn catholic guilt. So as of now we just don't go often. But then we feel bad when our five year old says "Why are people going to church? Its not Christmas". We are stuck on what to do. We also don't believe in a lot of what the Church preaches: no marriage for priests, anti-same sex marriage etc.

I will say, I went to a Catholic university. Some of the friars there are some of the most hard working, loving and caring people I have ever met. I remember doing volunteer work (construction type stuff) and towards the end of the day all of the young college kids were exhausted, Brother Joe who was twice our age was still at it working as hard as ever at twice the speed as we were.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Feb 20, 19 7:30
Quote Reply
Re: Catholics - how do you deal with this stuff [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:
I have a family heirloom dining room table that came from a priest in the family. After a nun in the family did some stuff I would consider to be at odds with her professed faith I decided to google him. Turns out he was highly involved in shuffling around molesting priests and keeping them out of trouble based on court documents. This was in the past few days I googled this. Not sure I fancy a table that had those kids of conversations and thoughts over it for what appears to be decades. I have had 14 8yos eating birthday cake at that table.

Its a piece of wood (I assume its a wood table), it carries not energy or vibe or conversations with it. Relax.

If I was willing to relax my morals and accept high levels of hypocrisy I would still be Catholic and clearly not care.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This just happened. Yeah, the Church will be able to sort itself out.

"Cardinals Raymond Burke, from the US, and Walter Brandmüller, from Germany, reject that the cases of abuse are a result of "clericalism" - a group of men abusing their power, and protecting each other.
The cardinals belong to the traditionalist wing of the Church, where many believe homosexuality is a root cause of the clerical abuse, and are both outspoken critics of Pope Francis.
"The plague of the homosexual agenda has been spread within the Church, promoted by organized networks and protected by a climate of complicity and a conspiracy of silence," they said."

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not condoning it at all. But if you’re going to throw mud throw it at all the perpetrators, not just the ones that suit your narrative.

Pretty simple concept.
Quote Reply
Re: Catholics - how do you deal with this stuff [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
Not condoning it at all. But if you’re going to throw mud throw it at all the perpetrators, not just the ones that suit your narrative.

Pretty simple concept.

Except it is a wrong concept. It's possible to throw mud at those who deserve it, independent of whether you throw mud at others who also may deserve it. By saying you need to throw mud at everyone, you diminish the issue.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ergopower wrote:

"Cardinals Raymond Burke, from the US, and Walter Brandmüller, from Germany, reject that the cases of abuse are a result of "clericalism" - a group of men abusing their power, and protecting each other.
The cardinals belong to the traditionalist wing of the Church, where many believe homosexuality is a root cause of the clerical abuse, and are both outspoken critics of Pope Francis.
"The plague of the homosexual agenda has been spread within the Church, promoted by organized networks and protected by a climate of complicity and a conspiracy of silence," they said."

Because homosexuality and pedophilia are one in the same, right? And the "homosexual agenda" also supports pedophilia and rape/assault of nuns? Man, that is one nasty cabal they have going there.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Catholics - how do you deal with this stuff [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
Catholics by and large are following a man-made doctrine. In Catholicism it's all about the church (the building). Christianity is supposed to be about Jesus and the church - his followers. A good percentage of Catholics aren't Christians. They're just blind followers of a religion. Any Christian Catholic should be disgusted by the RC "church" and seek out a church whose mission is to further their relationship with God. Otherwise they're just devout Catholics.

So not really an answer to your question, as I'm curious how they rationalize this away as well.

1) I believe you should never judge a religion by it's abuse.
2) I think it's possible for someone to be a good Christian and a bad Roman Catholic.

When asking the questions "What does it take to follow Jesus Christ?" and "What does it take to be a good Catholic?" you'll see some overlap, however you'll see some very substantial distinctions and deviations. If someone were to pick up the Bible and read it cover to cover a few times I do not believe it is possible to come away with the belief that the RC church is Christs intention.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ergopower wrote:
windywave wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

I 100% agree, but its like the saying that "absolute power corrupts, absolutely". If you trace back the history of the church that's what happened.

Honestly my assessment is when the Church got soft with Social Justice and Vatican II is when the disease and rot started festering. I wasn't alive, but based on the historic record that is my assessment.

Huh, let's see if we can uncover a couple examples of bad behavior before the 20th century (and I'm not gonna bother with things that happened to individuals like Tyndale, Jeanne d'Arc & Galileo):
  • The Crusades - 1 million + Muslims & Jews killed
  • The Spanish (and other) Inquisitions - thousands
  • Papal Bull Summis desiderante affectibus - Middle Ages witch hunts - tens of thousands
  • Papal Bull Dum Diversis - granted the freedom to search out, capture and reduce unbelievers to perpetual servitude; pretty much the green flag for the wholesale enslavement of Africa and the Americas

These were Church-sponsored actions. Tens of millions of non-Europeans died at the hands of European colonizers, but not necessarily at the direction of the Church. Of course, they never spoke out against it, either.

Is this the hardness you pine for?

The Crusades were a much more complicated and nuanced event that simply saying they were church sponsored. The Crusades came after a failed Muslim invasion of Europe and were as much retaliation for that as they were to regain the Holy Lands. Much of the force behind the Crusades came from political leaders in Europe wanting to ship warriors from the earlier Muslim warfare to areas outside of the kingdoms so they would not cause unrest. Many of the "knights" were brutal and capable of insurrection, so convincing them to join a Crusade solved those problems. Yes, the church was a part of that, particularly in putting on the religious veneer on the Crusades, but the structure below that veneer was political actions from the leaders in Europe at that time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
ergopower wrote:

Because homosexuality and pedophilia are one in the same, right? And the "homosexual agenda" also supports pedophilia and rape/assault of nuns? Man, that is one nasty cabal they have going there.

1.) There's no quote that says homosexuality and pedophilia are one in the same. I don't think that is a leap that needs to be made here.
2.) The "homosexual agenda" described by Burke would simultaneously give cover to other types of sexual deviancy (as described by the Church). All sorts of things can go on under climates of complicity and conspiracies of silence.
Quote Reply
Re: Catholics - how do you deal with this stuff [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
ripple wrote:
Catholics by and large are following a man-made doctrine. In Catholicism it's all about the church (the building). Christianity is supposed to be about Jesus and the church - his followers. A good percentage of Catholics aren't Christians. They're just blind followers of a religion. Any Christian Catholic should be disgusted by the RC "church" and seek out a church whose mission is to further their relationship with God. Otherwise they're just devout Catholics.

So not really an answer to your question, as I'm curious how they rationalize this away as well.

1) I believe you should never judge a religion by it's abuse.
2) I think it's possible for someone to be a good Christian and a bad Roman Catholic.

When asking the questions "What does it take to follow Jesus Christ?" and "What does it take to be a good Catholic?" you'll see some overlap, however you'll see some very substantial distinctions and deviations. If someone were to pick up the Bible and read it cover to cover a few times I do not believe it is possible to come away with the belief that the RC church is Christs intention.

I don't believe you can read the Bible and come up with any Church that was Christ's intention. He clearly thought the Kingdom of God was at hand, and not in some metaphoric post-hoc apologistic sense.

Seems like the ones living closest to Christ's intentions are people who have foregone any sort of materialistic future planning and are all in on the end times being just around the corner.

Then again, it's been 2000 years and we're still waiting so not surprising most Christians have opted to heed other parts of Jesus' teachings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:

Homosexuality and pedophilia are not the same but there are connections. Doing research to identify a cause for gay and trans issues, outside of normal development, is career suicide.

In research with 942 nonclinical adult participants, gay men and lesbian women reported a significantly higher rate of childhood molestation than did heterosexual men and women. Forty-six percent of the homosexual men in contrast to 7% of the heterosexual men reported homosexual molestation. Twenty-two percent of lesbian women in contrast to 1% of heterosexual women reported homosexual molestation.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11501300

Link to full article
Quote Reply
Re: Catholics - how do you deal with this stuff [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
klehner wrote:
ergopower wrote:

1.) There's no quote that says homosexuality and pedophilia are one in the same. I don't think that is a leap that needs to be made here.
2.) The "homosexual agenda" described by Burke would simultaneously give cover to other types of sexual deviancy (as described by the Church). All sorts of things can go on under climates of complicity and conspiracies of silence.

This was a conference of bishops on the Church's child sex abuse scandal (to put it mildly). That has *nothing* to do with homosexuality (because pedophilia, which describes child sex abuse, has nothing to do with homosexuality), so why's he bringing up the so-called "homosexual agenda"?

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's fascinating, and thanks for sharing it.

I suspect your story is not unlike many others', often regardless of the religion.

I kind of hate these "how can you still believe given . . .", where a group is immediately put on the defensive. They smack of arrogance. Religion and faith are things where people embrace, reject, participate in, avoid, etc. on so many different levels and for so many different reasons.
Quote Reply
Re: Catholics - how do you deal with this stuff [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
klehner wrote:

Homosexuality and pedophilia are not the same but there are connections. Doing research to identify a cause for gay and trans issues, outside of normal development, is career suicide.

In research with 942 nonclinical adult participants, gay men and lesbian women reported a significantly higher rate of childhood molestation than did heterosexual men and women. Forty-six percent of the homosexual men in contrast to 7% of the heterosexual men reported homosexual molestation. Twenty-two percent of lesbian women in contrast to 1% of heterosexual women reported homosexual molestation.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11501300

Link to full article

Did you read that article? It says that gay men and lesbians were more likely to have *been* molested as children, not that gay men and lesbians were more likely to have *committed* molestation of children. Am I missing something here?

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noskcaj46 wrote:
I am what you call a cradle Catholic. Baptized as a baby, religion class on Wednesday nights growing up through elementary school, Confirmation in 8th grade. I continued going to church through college off and on, married a Non-Catholic but we had a Catholic Ceremony because I'm Catholic so that's what you do. We adopted two children and Catholic Social Services was the agency that helped us.

As a child I didn't feel I had choices - everyone was Catholic. That was all I knew.

As a young woman I did not pay attention to the sexual abuse scandals and research on my own. I buried my head and went to church but it was always hanging over my head as a Catholic. I felt shame being a Catholic after the scandals of 2003 but in Church we would hear "it's not easy being a Catholic Christian. It's not supposed to be easy" etc. I told myself I was being faithful, that I wasn't the bad guy. I prayed for the church. I really had no idea the extent of the abuse because like I said I didn't read any of the reports myself.

Adopting my children through Catholic Social Services I felt that I owed it to the church to raise the kids Catholic. No one ever suggested this to me, it was a feeling I created in myself. I saw the good the church/branches of the church can do and the kind, generous spirit of those working behind the scenes. That was enough.

The last 8-10 years since becoming a mom I have had the hardest time. I noticed I was not comfortable leaving my own kids for religion class (the way I grew up). I volunteered to teach for a while and eventually I just quit sending them. Issues that are more specific to our local church weighed heavy on my mind as just being wrong. A few examples - during the last election a retired priest gave a sermon trying to influence voters by stating that we should vote our "Catholic Conscience" or we are committing a sin and can not take communion until we go to confession. Another incident, A well liked priest was discovered to be having a relationship with a woman. He was forced to leave the priesthood and the Bishop wrote a shaming letter to all the local parishes that was read aloud during mass. It contained more details than I needed to know and there was no forgiveness in the letter, no hope and prayers for his well being. The whole time I'm thinking he gets shamed yet all these child molesters nothing is said?

The last 2 years I have seriously struggled. I told myself that I like my church family - the people I go to mass with. That I will probably never like every single thing from every church but at least as a family we have a place to go.

When the Pennsylvania Grand Jury reports came out I didn't bury my head anymore. I read the report. I was/am disgusted and revolted. I went to church the Sunday after I read the report praying for guidance and looking for signs, words, prayers, anything. That Sunday happened to be the church's planned campaign for a new building. The Bishops recorded speech to address the Grand Jury report was pushed aside to talk about how much money we should plan to give to the building fund. No prayers were said for victims of abuse. The next Sunday I went by myself to listen to the recorded speech. Our priest played the recording and did not say another word about it. Again no prayers for victims of abuse which to me translates as not taking any ownership, not showing remorse, ignoring it. It's someone else's problem but it's like our local parishes don't realize that we all carry the shame.

Personally I can't ignore it anymore and I can no longer call myself devout but that is an explanation of how I could deal with that stuff for so long.

My experience and situation is a lot like yours. I have struggled with the Vatican's response to this as well, and it has alienated me a bit. My kids go to our parish school, and while I believe they are safe there (as there is little or no direct clergy involvement), I can't say that I would ever now be comfortable with them alone or in a small group in a setting run by any clergy. I will say that, unlike your visit to church that Sunday, lately my parish has made this a topic of discussion, it is the first prayer of the faithful, and last week a priest I know well and admire broke down in tears talking about the pain he has felt for the victims and his struggle with forgiveness. It was moving, to me at least.

But to the OP's question, I have tried to separate belief from the Church, if that makes any sense. I can still have faith, yet question the actions of the Church. I don't think that is inconsistent. Maybe that doesn't make me a true Catholic.
Quote Reply
Re: Catholics - how do you deal with this stuff [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
noskcaj46 wrote:

My experience and situation is a lot like yours. I have struggled with the Vatican's response to this as well, and it has alienated me a bit. My kids go to our parish school, and while I believe they are safe there (as there is little or no direct clergy involvement), I can't say that I would ever now be comfortable with them alone or in a small group in a setting run by any clergy. I will say that, unlike your visit to church that Sunday, lately my parish has made this a topic of discussion, it is the first prayer of the faithful, and last week a priest I know well and admire broke down in tears talking about the pain he has felt for the victims and his struggle with forgiveness. It was moving, to me at least.

But to the OP's question, I have tried to separate belief from the Church, if that makes any sense. I can still have faith, yet question the actions of the Church. I don't think that is inconsistent. Maybe that doesn't make me a true Catholic.

^^^This - similar scenario here for me. I hate the way the church as a whole has handled the scandal (three priests from the parish I attended as a kid were listed in the Boston Globe Spotlight report back in 2002). My mom was the most devout Catholic I've ever known and she said as much back then where she would never lose her faith, but had no faith in the church administration. Back when the Spotlight story first broke she asked our then-pastor why he didn't include the victims in the Prayers of the Faithful and he gave no response.

As far as the above response on the buildings, the church where we were married had just opened about a year prior, and my wife and I had asked our college chaplain (a retired RC priest) to perform the ceremony. When he visited the church and met with the pastor, he commented on what a beautiful church he had and the pastor replied "That's right, it's mine". Our priest politely reminded him that it was actually his parish's church and his response was "No, it's mine. I built it. Don't you ever forget that."

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Did you read that article? It says that gay men and lesbians were more likely to have *been* molested as children, not that gay men and lesbians were more likely to have *committed* molestation of children. Am I missing something here?
You're correct. I was in a rush and didn't cite the correct article. The link between homosexuality and pedophilia is a hot debate. What they do know is that almost all pedophiles are male and over 95% are homosexual. Many people falsely interpret that to mean 95% of homosexuals are also pedophiles. We've seen many high profile cases where older homosexual men target young boys (under 18). Pedophilia involves prepubescent children generally under the age of 13. That said, older men (30's and up) who are having sex with young kids (14-18) is pretty messed up and qualifies as grooming in my opinion.
Quote Reply

Prev Next