Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Doing kids’ tax returns on Turbo Tax, Credit Karma, etc question
Quote | Reply
Do u open an account for yourself and u can do the kids’ taxes too or do u open an account for each person? Maybe this is a stupid question but I’ve never used these products before.
Quote Reply
Re: Doing kids’ tax returns on Turbo Tax, Credit Karma, etc question [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We use hrblock online and it imports things from last year to make it quicker, so I think it would be best to use a different account to keep things separate. Not sure if would even work with the same account
Quote Reply
Re: Doing kids’ tax returns on Turbo Tax, Credit Karma, etc question [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much income do your kids have?

What type of income is it?
Quote Reply
Re: Doing kids’ tax returns on Turbo Tax, Credit Karma, etc question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
How much income do your kids have?

What type of income is it?

Interest and dividends on investments. A few thousand each. They need to file returns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use TurboTax yo prepare returns for multiple people. Simply start a new return for each kid. I use the desktop and can submit multiple Federal returns online for free. The state returns I print and mail. You should check the service for their fees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we did the simplest - completely free (fed, state and efiling) - with turbo tax online for my high schooler. its been a couple of weeks but i am sure we needed a separate account (id and password). i doubt it took 30 minutes - so easy. I've used Taxcut (from HR Block) online other years, including helping my son when he was in high school, and found Turbo Tax to be easier, faster and completely free (i am sure Taxcut charged for state prep even with the simplest returns - which is a bit off in PA as we have a flat state tax).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you buy the retail Turbo Tax sw you can do multiple returns. I have the basic version and file returns for my mom & myself. You create 2 separate tax files. No idea about how the online TT or Credit Karma works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1040EZ used to be free on turbo tax I thought.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Doing kids’ tax returns on Turbo Tax, Credit Karma, etc question [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1040EZ used to be free on turbo tax
---

The Feds discontinued the 1040ez form and replaced it with annoying 1-size-fits-all combined 1040 form.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Doing kids’ tax returns on Turbo Tax, Credit Karma, etc question [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they don't have at least 10-12K in income, you don't have to file...
Quote Reply
Re: Doing kids’ tax returns on Turbo Tax, Credit Karma, etc question [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't have to file federal, but why not file and get any tax withheld back?

my daughter would have had to file in PA anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Doing kids’ tax returns on Turbo Tax, Credit Karma, etc question [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$12k earned income or $1050 unearned income.
https://www.nolo.com/...file-tax-return.html
Quote Reply
Re: Doing kids’ tax returns on Turbo Tax, Credit Karma, etc question [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:
don't have to file federal, but why not file and get any tax withheld back?

my daughter would have had to file in PA anyway.

If the employer took our any Federal tax, my daughter (college student) works 10-12 hours a week and was surprised that they withheld no federal taxes. But you are right, if withholding you should be able to get it all back at the lower income levels.
Quote Reply