Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Now second graders wearing Blackface is "Blackface"?!?
Quote | Reply
Certainly they had to know this could be problematic in the age of "CONTEXT? We don't need no stinking CONTEXT!"

Quote:

ATLANTA CHARTER SCHOOL UNDER FIRE FOR BLACKFACE DEPICTION

An Atlanta charter school is under fire for conveying blackface masks while reciting a historic African-American poem that symbolizes black oppression.

Second-graders on Thursday held up blackface masks in a reading of 19th-century author Paul Laurence Dunbar’s poem “We Wear the Mask" as part of the school's black history program, according to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. The performance at The Kindezi School at Old Fourth Ward is now facing criticism from the community and parents who have questioned the masks' context.

According to a widely shared Facebook post, which was reported by the Journal-Constitution, one parent said that "Kindezi Old Fourth Ward has to do better."

https://www.newsweek.com/atlantic-charter-school-under-fire-depiction-867367

Here's the poem:

Quote:
We wear the mask that grins and lies,
It hides our cheeks and shades our eyes,—
This debt we pay to human guile;
With torn and bleeding hearts we smile,
And mouth with myriad subtleties.

Why should the world be over-wise,
In counting all our tears and sighs?
Nay, let them only see us, while
We wear the mask.

We smile, but, O great Christ, our cries
To thee from tortured souls arise.
We sing, but oh the clay is vile
Beneath our feet, and long the mile;
But let the world dream otherwise,
We wear the mask!

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Feb 15, 19 13:54
Quote Reply
Re: Now second graders wearing Blackface is "Blackface"?!? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have painted themselves into a corner with the zero tolerance black face is automatically evil and verboten line.... https://www.nytimes.com/...ade-new-orleans.html
Quote Reply