Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Amazon bails on NYC
Quote | Reply
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-02-14/amazon-hq2-new-york-pullout-ends-its-winning-streak

Too bad. It seemed to me that NYC and NY were giving away too much away to get Amazon. I can understand why Newark, Toledo, Nashville and Cleveland would be willing to give huge tax abatements to get Amazon but NYC shouldn't need to buy business. The people of Long Island City, where HQ 2 would have been planted, and one local politician have been building momentum against HQ2 since it was announced and I guess it worked. Looks like Amazon will be looking elsewhere for the new place.

As Bob Dylan said at the end of ''Talking NYC Blues''

''Goodbye New York, hello East Orange''!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon bails on NYC [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Business is business, and Bezos has been the master at getting Amazon the best deals. I find it hard to believe Amazon was chased off by a couple of complaining folks. I gotta believe a better deal presented itself and Amazon used AOC's (and others, she's just he biggest name in the news to complain) whining as a way out.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon bails on NYC [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt it. The statement says they’ll stop looking for now. I think it’s more likely that the employees would be harassed nonstop by the lefties and unionistas. If I were a CEO facing that decision, that would be my reasoning. Why go into a hostile environment when you can either sit tight or find a welcoming place to build out a large employee base?

Even at the little tech startup I work for in SoCal we get protestors outside with ‘Shame on You (company name)’ if any work is done at the facility by non union workers. We don’t even own the building.

Amazon don’t need the hassle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they will look to expand their footprint in VA & TN. Those plans are in a preliminary design and could be adjusted. Just pop one more building into the mix at both locations and don't call it HQ2 (which never really made any sense)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never thought that a union town would be a good place for them. In many ways I think this was good fortune for Amazon.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon bails on NYC [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there goes the real estate speculators
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon bails on NYC [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
I doubt it. The statement says they’ll stop looking for now. I think it’s more likely that the employees would be harassed nonstop by the lefties and unionistas. If I were a CEO facing that decision, that would be my reasoning. Why go into a hostile environment when you can either sit tight or find a welcoming place to build out a large employee base?

Even at the little tech startup I work for in SoCal we get protestors outside with ‘Shame on You (company name)’ if any work is done at the facility by non union workers. We don’t even own the building.

The backlash was of their own making right? I mean it was clear once they chose VA and NYC (probably the most obvious choices from the onset) that their main purpose was to get cities to one up each other on tax breaks, etc. rather than their stated goal of searching for a new city to invest and grow in. Google, Apple and others have been building campuses in other cities with far less public spectacle. Had Amazon simply stated they were building out a facility in NYC, I bet they would have been received much more warmly.
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon bails on NYC [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
I think they will look to expand their footprint in VA & TN. Those plans are in a preliminary design and could be adjusted. Just pop one more building into the mix at both locations and don't call it HQ2 (which never really made any sense)

It's interesting you say that because there was a rumor floating around the RTP area that Amazon might be looking to buy a certain company because of its analytical software and campus.
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon bails on NYC [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could be. They could’ve worked the incentives quietly as well. I have friends who are CEOs of up and comers like LegalZoom who departed California for Texas before a big expansion of their workforce and conducted their process in private.

OTOH, Amazon may have wanted to test the reaction they might face locally and this was the best (maybe only) way to do so.
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon bails on NYC [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:

Yes!! We are very happy in Nashville. Especially those of us who live in walking/biking distance of the Amazon campus. If someone wants to buy my house for more than 2x I paid for it, I'll sell.

I just talked to the head of our office today. Companies here are nervous about them coming and trying to snipe employees.

clm: Did you see that Amazon is not going to NYC? Maybe they will add more jobs here.

HOO: Yes, grumble grumble

clm: I wonder if anyone went to the "Amazon Meet & Greet and Hear All About Us" event last week at the Ryman Auditorium? (Which included music and other entertainment, including Brad Paisley).

HOO: And on the coldest night of the year. I can't believe what a show they put on. grumble grumble

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon bails on NYC [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
Trispoke wrote:

It's interesting you say that because there was a rumor floating around the RTP area that Amazon might be looking to buy a certain company because of its analytical software and campus.

SAS I would assume.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon bails on NYC [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
EndlessH2O wrote:
Trispoke wrote:

SAS I would assume.

Bingo.

The deal actually did make some sense from all parties point of view. If I were the founder, who does not want to take the company public, and facing a massive estate tax problem, selling or swapping shares might resolve the problem. If I were Amazon, the campus and land are there.
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon bails on NYC [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They went on a hiring spree durring shutdown here in VA. A real brain drain from some of the top government cyber and cloud experts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NYC bailed on Amazon.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon bails on NYC [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:

Do they bring a giant inflatable rat?

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon bails on NYC [sslothrop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
//Do they bring a giant inflatable rat? //

Nah, just a big sign and a dozen unmotivated individuals who stand around, take breaks every 30 minutes, argue about who should hold the sign, take long lunches and leave 40 minutes early if nobody is watching. Then, rumor has it, they either claim overtime or a work related injury from standing around so much and get long term disability. I wonder where they find such people?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ehh, Amazon is making a big push. I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't 10,000 Amazon employees in NYC in a few years anyway. So NYC will come out ahead.

This whole HQ2 thing was silly, it was obvious from the start that it would go to NYC area or DC area. Amazon wanted specific things, it was pretty silly for those areas to offer Amazon anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon bails on NYC [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
Ehh, Amazon is making a big push. I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't 10,000 Amazon employees in NYC in a few years anyway. So NYC will come out ahead.

This whole HQ2 thing was silly, it was obvious from the start that it would go to NYC area or DC area. Amazon wanted specific things, it was pretty silly for those areas to offer Amazon anything.

Yeah, those grapes can get pretty sour.
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon bails on NYC [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was always a bad deal for NYC. Amazon was probably hoping to come to NYC. They were probably doing the whole dog and pony show to squeeze NY and at the same time squeeze Seattle. The Governor and the Mayor made a lousy deal behind closed doors giving away everything to Amazon. Had they told Amazon that they were welcome in NYC and this is what it costs, they would have still got the same outcome.

And, don't give AOC the credit for this. She came in late in the game. It was the local city and state representatives and the people of Long Island City who started complaining that this was a crappy deal.

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shortsighted liberal idiots led by AOC. Her first fail. Of many.

MABA! - Make Alexandrea a Bartender Again!
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon bails on NYC [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillrollin wrote:

As I wrote above, AOC had very little to do with this. And the failure is on Amazon's part. They wanted an office in NYC on the cheep and they wanted to squeeze Seattle for more tax concessions. So they went on a nation wide sales junket acting like all those towns were in the mix. Their pitch was that they would bring 25,000 jobs that paid up to 150 thousand. Then when they got what they wanted, a NYC office with huge tax abatements, they changed their tune. Well, it's only about 5000 jobs for maybe 100,000. I've got news for Amazon; $100,000 per year isn't so great in NYC that they should be giving the store away for it.

Maybe next year Amazon can try again and try to be a more friendly neighbor. Maybe offer to build a new subway station near their site. Offer to work on some infrastructure in LIC, if they try to go there again. Maybe just offer to pay their fair share and be a good neighbor.

Quote Reply
Re: Amazon bails on NYC [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tennessee: plus a non union state; no state income taxes (to attract out of state workforce talent; as a recruiter this is a BIG deal); While property values are skyrocketing there, property taxes are still reasonable; Nashville has to be in the top 5 fastest growing cities; investment in their airport;
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon bails on NYC [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillrollin wrote:

No pink?

I thought conservatives were all about the "small business America" that "runs this country and makes it great!"?

What happened to that? Instead tax freebies to multi-billion dollar companies? Why not take that HANDOUT and give it to the local guys and gals instead that are making things happen? Ehhh?

Why such a favoritism to big business?

The way I read this, you want to screw small business America by giving HANDOUTS to rich corporations.

I thought conservatives didn't like handouts? I'm so confused. Something about anti-welfare and strapping on some boots and getting to work.

But welfare for rich corporations is OK.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
has there been anyone reporting on the exact nature of the tax incentive (is it a deduction, an annual waiver of any corporate taxes generated, or tax credit paid whether or not there's any accounting credit)? What of the nature of how many jobs are to be created as a function of time (and the nature of these jobs)?
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon bails on NYC [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NYC has a lot of community activists or community organizers or whatever, so they're used to this sort of give-and-take in demanding more neighborhood input into the process than is common elsewhere. Daniel Howes, business writer at the Detroit News makes a good observation here:

"Amazon promised New York's Long Island City in Queens a piece of a $5 billion investment to create 25,000 jobs paying an average of more than $100,000 a year, an economic game-changer for just about any city. All New York had to do was offer a measly $3 billion in taxpayer-backed incentives and shut up about community-benefits deals and unions.

In return, they'd get the prospect of steadily rising property values, more congestion and yet more demands of obeisance to a corporate giant slowly choking retailing as we know it even while demanding community payouts. Bad optics don't begin to describe Amazon here, the latest Master of the Universe to feel the wrath of the little people."

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply