Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why do people use deliberate, obvious straw man arguments? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
"Not stupid" and "smartest in the world" are not the same thing, hence the straw man.

I think this is an exaggeration or an amplified reflection rather than a strawman. Amplified reflection is a counseling term designed to move people away from ambivalence. In conversation you amplify someone's original statement, or in this case exaggerate, in order to push them to clarify their belief. Someone said AOC is stupid, and you countered with her academic achievement. Essentially, you're making an argument she isn't stupid, but not going as far as to come out and say she's smart or stating how smart you think she is.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do people use deliberate, obvious straw man arguments? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[insert ST user here] says the green deal is a terrible piece of legislation, [BarryP] says why don't you care about our planet?
I think that's a straw man

[insert ST user here] says the green deal is a terrible piece of legislation, [BarryP] says why are you calling AOC stupid?
I'm not sure if that's a straw man
Quote Reply

Prev Next