Soo... I'll be over in 15?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you cook your bacon? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
wimsey wrote:
edbikebabe wrote:

I cook it on a sheet pan in the oven. Put it on a rack (like a cooling rack for baking) so the fat falls through.

Same here. I had always been a pan fry person, but the grease spatter is a pain to clean and now I've got a toddler who wanders into the kitchen at inopportune times as well and I don't want him to get a grease spatter on the face.

My wife got me to switch to oven cooking as you describe. Downside is that when I cook it, I clean the nasty fat reservoir in the pan, and we she cooks it, I clean the nasty fat reservoir in the pan.

I'm the pan cleaner as well unfortunately. I had someone suggest putting tinfoil on the bottom to aid in the cleaning - I haven't tried it yet though.

Rack + tin foil // baking sheet

I don't mind cleaning, because it's MY fucking kitchen

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: How do you cook your bacon? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It turned out really well. I think I let it cure a little too long (ten days) so the salt level is a little high, but the smoke is amazing.

Had roast chicken, bacon and tomato wraps for dinner. Crazy delicious,

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: How do you cook your bacon? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you share the full process? I've been wanting to try but have been too lazy to do the research.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's wrong with bacon sitting in it's own fat?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: How do you cook your bacon? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
I cook it on a sheet pan in the oven. Put it on a rack (like a cooling rack for baking) so the fat falls through.

This. It's called bacon, not fryon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Science don't lie.

We Tried 8 Methods of Cooking Bacon and Found an Absolute Winner

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Dec 1, 19 5:22
Quote Reply
Re: How do you cook your bacon? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In other words, I was right---outdoors, on a grill, in cast iron. You can do a LOT, which you can't do with the parchment baking as it simply takes too long. You can control the crispness factor. You can control the char factor. Cleanup is EZ. Household stink (this is huge for wife) is non-existant.

That being said, aside from the microwave or JSA's silicon thingy (the bacon equivalent of his jeggings), we all can agree that bacon is yummy.

That "just toss in the package" sous vide did get me thinking though...

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I either deep fry it or put it in the oven on a baking sheet, depends whether I'm in the mood to eat a bit healthier or not.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you cook your bacon? [Tyanna41] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only way to cook bacon is to open the garbage can and drop it in. That shit is terrible.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was hoping someone would say they use this great looking appliance... this thing makes me laugh, but I wondered if it worked well.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/...?keyword=bacon-maker
Quote Reply
Re: How do you cook your bacon? [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: How do you cook your bacon? [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only way to cook bacon is to open the garbage can and drop it in. That shit is terrible.

---

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How do you cook your bacon? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bake in the oven at 400 to just before you desired doneness, then pull out and let sit for a min.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you cook your bacon? [macbain_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
macbain_tri wrote:
I was hoping someone would say they use this great looking appliance... this thing makes me laugh, but I wondered if it worked well.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/...?keyword=bacon-maker

Somebody needs to invent something like this for bacon!!!!

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Re: How do you cook your bacon? [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cast iron is the best, but you're limited on how much you can cook in one batch. So for larger batches, the parchment paper in the oven looks like the way to go.

And I agree with the sous vide. I had never considered it but now will have to try.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you cook your bacon? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to have to try the parchment paper. I mean, if Martha Stewart recommends it, it must be good. I agree with those that have said that cast iron does great, but it's just too gross and messy. I had a tablet computer that was across the room from the stove show grease spatter one time when frying bacon--you could really see it on the screen. Yuck. As someone else mentioned, you're literally covering everything in grease spatter.

I'll stick with the oven, and the microwave will work in a pinch.
Quote Reply

Prev Next